Pages lose left side when window is narrow

Mark F

Pages lose left side when window is narrow
I have noticed that various pages lose the left side when the window
is too narrow, rather than being displayed with a horizontal scroll
bar.

The problem happens with Internet Explorer V7 on my system running
Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3, but it also happens with
FireFox V3.5 on the same system. Therefore the problem may be with
the HTML or Windows and not with an IE setting.

In particular, try www.nytimes.com. The if the window is not wide
enough the part to the line on the left side under "Home Page" doesn't
display. If the window is made wide enough then the left border gets
wider, although the area that has your username and "Followers" field
will expand to full the entire width to the left.

The problem happens with other pages that I have surfed to.
I only remember one of these URLs, which is:
e r i s k s o / 2 0 0 8 / 1 2 / 2 7 /
one-year-worth-of-images-give-some-amazing-videos/

which I am purposely disguising to provide some privacy.

Does anyone have an idea of what setting I have wrong on both
browsers, or perhaps can point me to the HTML construction that is
the cause of the problem?

Is it perhaps a bad rendering in both of the browers?

Thanks.
Singapore Computer Service

Re: Pages lose left side when window is narrow
Hello,

Not able to reproduce it here with IE8. Here's a screen shot
http://i29.tinypic.com/33ma4j8.gif

Some screen shots of the problem may help us to better understand the
problem.
__
Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service
Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv NTSC PAL
"Mark F" <mark53916@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have noticed that various pages lose the left side when the window
> is too narrow, rather than being displayed with a horizontal scroll
> bar.
>
> The problem happens with Internet Explorer V7 on my system running
> Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3, but it also happens with
> FireFox V3.5 on the same system. Therefore the problem may be with
> the HTML or Windows and not with an IE setting.
>
> In particular, try www.nytimes.com. The if the window is not wide
> enough the part to the line on the left side under "Home Page" doesn't
> display. If the window is made wide enough then the left border gets
> wider, although the area that has your username and "Followers" field
> will expand to full the entire width to the left.
>
> The problem happens with other pages that I have surfed to.
> I only remember one of these URLs, which is:
> e r i s k s o / 2 0 0 8 / 1 2 / 2 7 /
> one-year-worth-of-images-give-some-amazing-videos/
>
> which I am purposely disguising to provide some privacy.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of what setting I have wrong on both
> browsers, or perhaps can point me to the HTML construction that is
> the cause of the problem?
>
> Is it perhaps a bad rendering in both of the browers?
>
> Thanks.

Mark F

Re: Pages lose left side when window is narrow
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 03:51:39 +0800, "Singapore Computer Service"
<singaporecomputerusenet_1@bootstrike.com> wrote:

> http://i29.tinypic.com/33ma4j8.gif

Your GIF shows the problem, both when I view it in IE7 or FireFox
3.5 and when I download the image and view it in Paint Shop Pro V9.01,
"Windows Picture and Fax Viewer", and Microsoft Paint Version 5.1.

I see the left side of "Home Page" with the "H" partially
cut off.

On the other hand, the star in front of "Favorites" on the top is also
cut off, so maybe I have something more messed up than just in
my browsers and image editors.
Singapore Computer Service

Re: Pages lose left side when window is narrow
Hello,

The image was partially cropped at the left. Here's the page I get with the
left uncropped with IE8
http://i28.tinypic.com/28s8pxw.jpg

May be quite obvious, but did you try calibrating the monitor? Perhaps the
left side is spilling over?
__
> On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 03:51:39 +0800, "Singapore Computer Service"
> <singaporecomputerusenet_1@bootstrike.com> wrote:
>
>> http://i29.tinypic.com/33ma4j8.gif

> Your GIF shows the problem, both when I view it in IE7 or FireFox
> 3.5 and when I download the image and view it in Paint Shop Pro V9.01,
> "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer", and Microsoft Paint Version 5.1.
>
> I see the left side of "Home Page" with the "H" partially
> cut off.
>
> On the other hand, the star in front of "Favorites" on the top is also
> cut off, so maybe I have something more messed up than just in
> my browsers and image editors.

Mark F

Re: Pages lose left side when window is narrow
Again your image shows the problem, but you don't realize that
you are seeing it.

1. The "H" in "Home Page" starts too close to the left.
2. On my system, if I make the www.nytimes.com window wide enough
a vertical line appears to the left of the
"Welcome to TimesPeople", similar to the vertical line to between
the are containing "Welcome to TimesPeople" and
the area containing "TimesPeople Lets You"

I have made 3 images:
. screen width 1024x768, showing an entire small window, including
the windows borders. It shows that the leftmost characters,
formatting and graphics are very close to the left border of the
window
. screen width 1024x768, showing the left side of the window of
maximum width that can be set. (Note that even without the
border the width of the window is more than 768, but I only
know how to capture the part that is displayed on my screen
a any give time and I don't know how to get Windows to tell
be what it thinks are the actual dimensions of the window
with and without the border
. screen width set to 1280x720 and window set as wide as
it lets me. This shows a vertical line to the left
of the "Welcome to TimesPeople" area. The window displays
the same way if I make the screen resolution lower, but I
can't set the window that wide when the screen resolution is
lower.

I have put the images in:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mark5391...dowIsNarrow #
and made them public.

Given that things display incorrectly on "Singapore Computer Service"s
system, I think the problem is in the HTML. Can anyone suggest what
the problem construct is so that I can report it to the NY Times and
other sites that have the problem?

Thank you.
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 23:00:44 +0800, "Singapore Computer Service"