IE8 Toolbar Customizations

iblue_gm

IE8 Toolbar Customizations
I would like to customize my toolbars like I have in IE6, but it's not
looking like I have that ability in IE8. Why would customization options be
taken away?

I would like my browser windows to look like this:
File Edit View Favorites Tools Help
Back / Forward / Stop / Refresh / Home / Search / Favorites
Address Bar: Take up the whole line
Links: My favorite links in a tool bar.

After I installed IE7, I immediately uninstalled it because I couldn't move
toolbars where I wanted them... nor could I customize the items within a
toolbar. Terrible. After reading some tutorials about IE8, it seems to have
the same problems.

Great way to lose market share. I will continue to use FireFox until a
"reasonable" IE is released. I support MSFT, but not when the products
produced are clearly INFERIOR to other available on the market. What good
are accelerators when the interface is junk?

Firefox has been solid. I can change the screen how ever I want. I can use
plug ins to add even more customizations. I don't have to worry about
ActiveX controls allowing vulnerabilities that destroy my computer.

Frustrated,
GM

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Re: IE8 Toolbar Customizations
If you must make identical posts to multiple newsgroups, please cross-post
one (1) message to all of them. Thank you.

Multiposting vs Crossposting:

iblue_gm wrote:
> I would like to customize my toolbars like I have in IE6, but it's not
> looking like I have that ability in IE8. Why would customization options
> be
> taken away?
>
> I would like my browser windows to look like this:
> File Edit View Favorites Tools Help
> Back / Forward / Stop / Refresh / Home / Search / Favorites
> Address Bar: Take up the whole line
> Links: My favorite links in a tool bar.
>
> After I installed IE7, I immediately uninstalled it because I couldn't
> move
> toolbars where I wanted them... nor could I customize the items within a
> toolbar. Terrible. After reading some tutorials about IE8, it seems to
> have
> the same problems.
>
> Great way to lose market share. I will continue to use FireFox until a
> "reasonable" IE is released. I support MSFT, but not when the products
> produced are clearly INFERIOR to other available on the market. What good
> are accelerators when the interface is junk?
>
> Firefox has been solid. I can change the screen how ever I want. I can use
> plug ins to add even more customizations. I don't have to worry about
> ActiveX controls allowing vulnerabilities that destroy my computer.
>
> Frustrated,
> GM
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Toolbar Customizations
Toolbars since IE 7 are less customizable than previously. No one here
works for Microsoft, so I'll guess that Microsoft decided to focus more
on adding features, strengthening security and increasing standards
compliance. If re-arranging toolbars means more to you than all that,
you probably won't be happy with Internet Explorer for the foreseeable
future. It is, foremost, a web browser.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

iblue_gm wrote:
> I would like to customize my toolbars like I have in IE6, but it's not
> looking like I have that ability in IE8. Why would customization options be
> taken away?
>
> I would like my browser windows to look like this:
> File Edit View Favorites Tools Help
> Back / Forward / Stop / Refresh / Home / Search / Favorites
> Address Bar: Take up the whole line
> Links: My favorite links in a tool bar.
>
> After I installed IE7, I immediately uninstalled it because I couldn't move
> toolbars where I wanted them... nor could I customize the items within a
> toolbar. Terrible. After reading some tutorials about IE8, it seems to have
> the same problems.
>
> Great way to lose market share. I will continue to use FireFox until a
> "reasonable" IE is released. I support MSFT, but not when the products
> produced are clearly INFERIOR to other available on the market. What good
> are accelerators when the interface is junk?
>
> Firefox has been solid. I can change the screen how ever I want. I can use
> plug ins to add even more customizations. I don't have to worry about
> ActiveX controls allowing vulnerabilities that destroy my computer.
>
> Frustrated,
> GM
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

iblue_gm

Re: IE8 Toolbar Customizations
A customizable User Interface is not a feature? Please...

All of these features were available in IE6 and working just fine...
Microsoft decided to remove the "features", make the UI less customizable,
etc.... Why?

What is the purpose of making IE "less" user friendly? That's what I don't
understand. Dragging toolbars around and placing them where YOU want them is
commomplace is just about ALL their applications. Why destroy the same
look/feel with IE?

I expect features, security and standards compliance in a browser... a
customizable UI is just part of a full featured browser.

-GM

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Toolbars since IE 7 are less customizable than previously. No one here
> works for Microsoft, so I'll guess that Microsoft decided to focus more
> on adding features, strengthening security and increasing standards
> compliance. If re-arranging toolbars means more to you than all that,
> you probably won't be happy with Internet Explorer for the foreseeable
> future. It is, foremost, a web browser.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> iblue_gm wrote:
> > I would like to customize my toolbars like I have in IE6, but it's not
> > looking like I have that ability in IE8. Why would customization options be
> > taken away?
> >
> > I would like my browser windows to look like this:
> > File Edit View Favorites Tools Help
> > Back / Forward / Stop / Refresh / Home / Search / Favorites
> > Address Bar: Take up the whole line
> > Links: My favorite links in a tool bar.
> >
> > After I installed IE7, I immediately uninstalled it because I couldn't move
> > toolbars where I wanted them... nor could I customize the items within a
> > toolbar. Terrible. After reading some tutorials about IE8, it seems to have
> > the same problems.
> >
> > Great way to lose market share. I will continue to use FireFox until a
> > "reasonable" IE is released. I support MSFT, but not when the products
> > produced are clearly INFERIOR to other available on the market. What good
> > are accelerators when the interface is junk?
> >
> > Firefox has been solid. I can change the screen how ever I want. I can use
> > plug ins to add even more customizations. I don't have to worry about
> > ActiveX controls allowing vulnerabilities that destroy my computer.
> >
> > Frustrated,
> > GM
> >
> > ----------------
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

Viktor Krammer

Re: IE8 Toolbar Customizations
Hi,

You can customize the user interface of Internet Exploerer with Quero, an
address/navigation bar replacement that makes the user interface more
customizable especially if you have other 3rd-party toolbars that you would
like to share with the address bar.

http://www.quero.at/

Best regards,

Viktor Krammer
--
http://www.quero.at/
The New Web Experience

jake_ie8team

Re: IE8 Toolbar Customizations

Right click anywhere on the toolbar and you get plenty of options for
customization. You can rearrange icons, disable and enable toolbars, and
even add or remove commands.

- Jake

MSFT Internet Explorer Outreach Team

--
jake_ie8team
mifune5

Re: IE8 Toolbar Customizations
But you still can't move the Back, Forward, Stop, and Refresh buttons down to
the toolbar. That option would be very nice and convenient. I hope
Microsoft upgrades IE8 to allow for this to happen. Customizing the
interface more freely would be great!