Customising IE8 favorites

Karl

Customising IE8 favorites
Hi,

Does anyone know if there's a way to customise favourites in IE8 so that
when you add favourites I only see the top folders in the hierarchy?

I have twelve top-level folders but hundreds of sub-folders and favourites
links. Seeing the entire tree when I want to add a link is confusing. I just
want to see the top level folders that I can find and drill down through the
right branch in the tree right away.

Many thanks

Karl

Don Varnau

Re: Customising IE8 favorites
Hi,
There is not (AFAIK) a way to change this behavior.
-
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if there's a way to customise favourites in IE8 so that
> when you add favourites I only see the top folders in the hierarchy?
>
> I have twelve top-level folders but hundreds of sub-folders and favourites
> links. Seeing the entire tree when I want to add a link is confusing. I

just
> want to see the top level folders that I can find and drill down through

the
> right branch in the tree right away.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Karl

Karl

Re: Customising IE8 favorites
Yeah, I thought that might be the case but it was worth a try. Thanks for
replying.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> There is not (AFAIK) a way to change this behavior.
> -
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know if there's a way to customise favourites in IE8 so that
> > when you add favourites I only see the top folders in the hierarchy?
> >
> > I have twelve top-level folders but hundreds of sub-folders and favourites
> > links. Seeing the entire tree when I want to add a link is confusing. I

> just
> > want to see the top level folders that I can find and drill down through

> the
> > right branch in the tree right away.
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Karl

Daniel Crichton

Karl wrote on Fri, 10 Jul 2009 02:19:01 -0700:

> Hi,

> Does anyone know if there's a way to customise favourites in IE8 so
> that when you add favourites I only see the top folders in the
> hierarchy?

> I have twelve top-level folders but hundreds of sub-folders and
> favourites links. Seeing the entire tree when I want to add a link is
> confusing. I just want to see the top level folders that I can find
> and drill down through the right branch in the tree right away.

> Many thanks

> Karl

Instead of right clicking the page and choose Add to Favorites, use the
Favorites button (the star button in the command bars). This shows you the
top level (and any subfolders you had open when you last used it this
session) which is as close as you're going to get to what you want.

--
Dan

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Customising IE8 favorites

"Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7AA10A8-EA74-4C05-871C-133A73646C0E@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if there's a way to customise favourites in IE8 so that
> when you add favourites I only see the top folders in the hierarchy?

Have you tried dragging objects into the order you want them displayed?
Obviously that will only work for objects at the same level of nesting.
So, if you are wanting to see things first from different levels of nesting
I suspect it would indicate that you don't have your hierarchy designed
according to the way you actually use it.

Alternatively what you could do is have a second hierarchy which could
provide an inverted view of your actual displayed order but which was closer
to the way that you actually use your Favorites. E.g. that would provide
some easily accessible intermediate dumping areas which you would
later reorder by dragging sets of links en masse to their corrrect folder
in your displayed hierarchy.

The new Add to Favorites Bar button is a feature which could be used
to support such a concept. E.g. instead of adding a set of Favorites
way down in your displayed hierarchy you would just be adding them
to the Links subdirectory where they could be later moved to a common
subdirectory with one select and drag operation. BTW the best way
to implement that operation would be with a Windows Explorer window
which opens at the Links directory (Favorites Bar). Then the Explorer
window's Folders bar provides the targets for your drag operations.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---