Re: Problems Installing IE8

[Crosspost to IE General]

You should have (1) disabled Avira AntiVir, (2) de-Immunized Spybot
(anyway), and (3) disabled both Spybot SDHelper and Tea Timer (if enabled)
prior to attempting to install IE8, Robert.

HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared
to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

[The 'Run as Administrator' tip you may have seen in other posts of mine
only applies to Vista!]

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at
Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
install it.
--
IE-specific newsgroup:

Navyguy wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with XP SP3, with DSL connection. I have
> Avira free antivirus version, Windows firewall, Spybot and Hive
> Cleanup with IE7.
>
> Recently, I tried installing IE8 to my computer. I have no third party
> toolbars, and checked that I had KB969897 installed so that my Spybot
> immunizartion would be able to run without conflicting with IE8. I
> made a System Restore Point before proceding and checked that my
> Windows firewall was enabled before disabling my antivirus.
>
> I downloaded IE8 from here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx
>
> and saved it to my desktop. I then right clicked it to run as
> Adminisrator but when I did so it gave my computer name/my name. This
> didn't seem odd as I'm running the computer as administrator (I've
> tried numerous times to create a user account with no success).
> However when I clicked ok it said access is denied.
>

> Thoughts/Suggestions?
>
> Robert

Navyguy

Re: Problems Installing IE8
On Jul 9, 1:03*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [Crosspost to IE General]
>
> You should have (1) disabled Avira AntiVir, (2) de-Immunized Spybot
> (anyway), and (3) disabled both Spybot SDHelper and Tea Timer (if enabled)
> prior to attempting to install IE8, Robert.
>
> HOW TO solve IE8 installation problemshttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220

I did disable Avira but I will try disabling Spybot. I have checked
the link provided for installation problems but couldn't find anything
that dealt with this. Perhaps I missed it?

Thanks,

Robert