IE SLOW

L.S.

IE SLOW
My mom has updates set to auto. She called me today and said her system has
been running real slow. Not just IE but other programs seems to load slower
than 'normal'. She's got a 1.8mhz, 512 meg, 64 video card running WinXP.
Yes, it's an older system but works for her.

Found out she d/l IE8.

Found several instructions to uninstall but wondering if there are settings
that I can make to speed it up or should I just uninstall 8?
I'm still running IE7 on my systems so I'm not familiar with 8 settings.

Thanks,

Leonard Grey

Re: IE SLOW
Internet Explorer will not cause a computer to become slow. If slowness
is the only problem, it is more likely caused by:

1. Old age (the computer, not your Mom);
2. Applications running in the background; or
3. Malware.

One of the most common problems that users encounter whenever a new
version of IE comes around is the problem of browser add-ons that are
not compatible with the new version of Internet Explorer. If IE seems
faster when run in 'no add-ons' mode, an incompatible add-on could be to
blame.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

L.S. wrote:
> My mom has updates set to auto. She called me today and said her system has
> been running real slow. Not just IE but other programs seems to load slower
> than 'normal'. She's got a 1.8mhz, 512 meg, 64 video card running WinXP.
> Yes, it's an older system but works for her.
>
> Found out she d/l IE8.
>
> Found several instructions to uninstall but wondering if there are settings
> that I can make to speed it up or should I just uninstall 8?
> I'm still running IE7 on my systems so I'm not familiar with 8 settings.
>
> Thanks,

L.S.

Re: IE SLOW
I was just over there and IE8 takes MUCH longer to load than 7 did/does.
I'm guessing that her overall system is as fast or slow as it always has
been. She mainly uses IE so if it take longer to load, then to her, the
whole system is slower!!

Going back over in the morning to run Spy Bot, etc. clean it up for her and
see if I can get 8 running faster or uninstall it.
Will see what add-ons she's loaded.

L.

> Internet Explorer will not cause a computer to become slow. If slowness is
> the only problem, it is more likely caused by:
>
> 1. Old age (the computer, not your Mom);
> 2. Applications running in the background; or
> 3. Malware.
>
> One of the most common problems that users encounter whenever a new
> version of IE comes around is the problem of browser add-ons that are not
> compatible with the new version of Internet Explorer. If IE seems faster
> when run in 'no add-ons' mode, an incompatible add-on could be to blame.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> L.S. wrote:
>> My mom has updates set to auto. She called me today and said her system
>> has been running real slow. Not just IE but other programs seems to load
>> slower than 'normal'. She's got a 1.8mhz, 512 meg, 64 video card running
>> WinXP. Yes, it's an older system but works for her.
>>
>> Found out she d/l IE8.
>>
>> Found several instructions to uninstall but wondering if there are
>> settings that I can make to speed it up or should I just uninstall 8?
>> I'm still running IE7 on my systems so I'm not familiar with 8 settings.
>>
>> Thanks,

L.S.

Re: IE SLOW
Going over to moms today and have a question concerning add-ons.
Not that well versed on messing with add-ons so please bear with me.

According to your comment on add-ons not being compatable with a new IE,
would it be 'better' to delete and/or disable all add-ons and let the system
tell her which ones need to be reactivated/installed? Will this mess up her
system?

I looked on my system and there are several add-ons(17 under "add-ons
currently loaded in IE, 62 under-"add-ons that have been used by IE", 61
under "add-ons that run without requiring permission, 15 under"Downloaded
ActiveX Controls (32bits)" ).. I'm guessing she has several also.
I also notice that several are close to the same.
Ex: I have under "Downloaded Active X--" 7 Java Plug-ins.. Java Plug-in
1.5.0-07, Java Plug-in 1.5.0-09, Java Plug-in 1.5.0-11, Java Plug-in
1.6.0-01 etc., etc.

Under "Add-ons currently loaded in IE" of the 17, 1 Active X(shockwave flash
object), 3 toolbars (adobe pdf, avg security toolbar, windows live toolbar),
10 browser helper objects(not listed due to space) & 3 browser extensions
( blog this in windows live writer, diagnose connection problems---, sun
java console)

Maybe I need to clean up my system also!!
Again, I've never 'messed' with add-ons.

Comments please,

BTW-
1. Old age (the computer, not your Mom);
She's 79- loves in net, e-mailing and isn't afraid of it.... Sometimes she
click "yes" when she shouldn't but who doesn't do that... Even with ZA and
AVG she screws it up but she keeps on ticking.

"L.S." <notgood@yahooie.com> wrote in message
>I was just over there and IE8 takes MUCH longer to load than 7 did/does.
> I'm guessing that her overall system is as fast or slow as it always has
> been. She mainly uses IE so if it take longer to load, then to her, the
> whole system is slower!!
>
> Going back over in the morning to run Spy Bot, etc. clean it up for her
> and see if I can get 8 running faster or uninstall it.
> Will see what add-ons she's loaded.
>
> L.

>> Internet Explorer will not cause a computer to become slow. If slowness
>> is the only problem, it is more likely caused by:
>>
>> 1. Old age (the computer, not your Mom);
>> 2. Applications running in the background; or
>> 3. Malware.
>>
>> One of the most common problems that users encounter whenever a new
>> version of IE comes around is the problem of browser add-ons that are not
>> compatible with the new version of Internet Explorer. If IE seems faster
>> when run in 'no add-ons' mode, an incompatible add-on could be to blame.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> L.S. wrote:
>>> My mom has updates set to auto. She called me today and said her system
>>> has been running real slow. Not just IE but other programs seems to load
>>> slower than 'normal'. She's got a 1.8mhz, 512 meg, 64 video card running
>>> WinXP. Yes, it's an older system but works for her.
>>>
>>> Found out she d/l IE8.
>>>
>>> Found several instructions to uninstall but wondering if there are
>>> settings that I can make to speed it up or should I just uninstall 8?
>>> I'm still running IE7 on my systems so I'm not familiar with 8 settings.
>>>
>>> Thanks,

Leonard Grey

Re: IE SLOW
To test for incompatible add-ons, start Internet Explorer in 'no
add-ons' mode, as follows:

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
caused by one of the add-ons that she has installed.

Now you will enable one add-on, then restart Internet Explorer. If the
problem is not present, then enable another add-on and restart Internet
Explorer. Continue in this fashion until you discover which add-on is
causing the problem. Contact the add-on's author for a compatible version.

Yes...this is tedious. But it works. One way to possibly shorten the
process is to start by disabling all third-party (non-Microsoft) add-ons.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

L.S. wrote:
> Going over to moms today and have a question concerning add-ons.
> Not that well versed on messing with add-ons so please bear with me.
>
> According to your comment on add-ons not being compatable with a new IE,
> would it be 'better' to delete and/or disable all add-ons and let the system
> tell her which ones need to be reactivated/installed? Will this mess up her
> system?
>
> I looked on my system and there are several add-ons(17 under "add-ons
> currently loaded in IE, 62 under-"add-ons that have been used by IE", 61
> under "add-ons that run without requiring permission, 15 under"Downloaded
> ActiveX Controls (32bits)" ).. I'm guessing she has several also.
> I also notice that several are close to the same.
> Ex: I have under "Downloaded Active X--" 7 Java Plug-ins.. Java Plug-in
> 1.5.0-07, Java Plug-in 1.5.0-09, Java Plug-in 1.5.0-11, Java Plug-in
> 1.6.0-01 etc., etc.
>
> Under "Add-ons currently loaded in IE" of the 17, 1 Active X(shockwave flash
> object), 3 toolbars (adobe pdf, avg security toolbar, windows live toolbar),
> 10 browser helper objects(not listed due to space) & 3 browser extensions
> ( blog this in windows live writer, diagnose connection problems---, sun
> java console)
>
> Maybe I need to clean up my system also!!
> Again, I've never 'messed' with add-ons.
>
> Comments please,
>
> BTW-
> 1. Old age (the computer, not your Mom);
> She's 79- loves in net, e-mailing and isn't afraid of it.... Sometimes she
> click "yes" when she shouldn't but who doesn't do that... Even with ZA and
> AVG she screws it up but she keeps on ticking.
>

> "L.S." <notgood@yahooie.com> wrote in message
>> I was just over there and IE8 takes MUCH longer to load than 7 did/does.
>> I'm guessing that her overall system is as fast or slow as it always has
>> been. She mainly uses IE so if it take longer to load, then to her, the
>> whole system is slower!!
>>
>> Going back over in the morning to run Spy Bot, etc. clean it up for her
>> and see if I can get 8 running faster or uninstall it.
>> Will see what add-ons she's loaded.
>>
>> L.
>>

>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Internet Explorer will not cause a computer to become slow. If slowness
>>> is the only problem, it is more likely caused by:
>>>
>>> 1. Old age (the computer, not your Mom);
>>> 2. Applications running in the background; or
>>> 3. Malware.
>>>
>>> One of the most common problems that users encounter whenever a new
>>> version of IE comes around is the problem of browser add-ons that are not
>>> compatible with the new version of Internet Explorer. If IE seems faster
>>> when run in 'no add-ons' mode, an incompatible add-on could be to blame.
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est

L.S.

Re: IE SLOW
Thanks much.
I like your idea of disabling non-MS stuff first and try. This way I've
narrowed the field between the two.

Will report back.

L.

> [...]

>> problems---, sun java console)
>>
>> Maybe I need to clean up my system also!!
>> Again, I've never 'messed' with add-ons.
>>
>> Comments please,
>>
>> BTW-
>> 1. Old age (the computer, not your Mom);
>> She's 79- loves in net, e-mailing and isn't afraid of it.... Sometimes
>> she click "yes" when she shouldn't but who doesn't do that... Even with
>> ZA and AVG she screws it up but she keeps on ticking.
>>

>> "L.S." <notgood@yahooie.com> wrote in message
>>> I was just over there and IE8 takes MUCH longer to load than 7 did/does.
>>> I'm guessing that her overall system is as fast or slow as it always has
>>> been. She mainly uses IE so if it take longer to load, then to her, the
>>> whole system is slower!!
>>>
>>> Going back over in the morning to run Spy Bot, etc. clean it up for her
>>> and see if I can get 8 running faster or uninstall it.

hf

Re: IE SLOW

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Internet Explorer will not cause a computer to become slow. If slowness
> is the only problem, it is more likely caused by:
>
> 1. Old age (the computer, not your Mom);
> 2. Applications running in the background; or
> 3. Malware.
>
> One of the most common problems that users encounter whenever a new
> version of IE comes around is the problem of browser add-ons that are
> not compatible with the new version of Internet Explorer. If IE seems
> faster when run in 'no add-ons' mode, an incompatible add-on could be to
> blame.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> L.S. wrote:
> > My mom has updates set to auto. She called me today and said her system has
> > been running real slow. Not just IE but other programs seems to load slower
> > than 'normal'. She's got a 1.8mhz, 512 meg, 64 video card running WinXP.
> > Yes, it's an older system but works for her.
> >
> > Found out she d/l IE8.
> >
> > Found several instructions to uninstall but wondering if there are settings
> > that I can make to speed it up or should I just uninstall 8?
> > I'm still running IE7 on my systems so I'm not familiar with 8 settings.
> >
> > Thanks,

hf

Re: IE SLOW

"L.S." wrote:

> I was just over there and IE8 takes MUCH longer to load than 7 did/does.
> I'm guessing that her overall system is as fast or slow as it always has
> been. She mainly uses IE so if it take longer to load, then to her, the
> whole system is slower!!
>
> Going back over in the morning to run Spy Bot, etc. clean it up for her and
> see if I can get 8 running faster or uninstall it.
> Will see what add-ons she's loaded.
>
> L.

> > Internet Explorer will not cause a computer to become slow. If slowness is
> > the only problem, it is more likely caused by:
> >
> > 1. Old age (the computer, not your Mom);
> > 2. Applications running in the background; or
> > 3. Malware.
> >
> > One of the most common problems that users encounter whenever a new
> > version of IE comes around is the problem of browser add-ons that are not
> > compatible with the new version of Internet Explorer. If IE seems faster
> > when run in 'no add-ons' mode, an incompatible add-on could be to blame.
> > ---
> > Leonard Grey
> > Errare humanum est
> >
> > L.S. wrote:
> >> My mom has updates set to auto. She called me today and said her system
> >> has been running real slow. Not just IE but other programs seems to load
> >> slower than 'normal'. She's got a 1.8mhz, 512 meg, 64 video card running
> >> WinXP. Yes, it's an older system but works for her.
> >>
> >> Found out she d/l IE8.
> >>
> >> Found several instructions to uninstall but wondering if there are
> >> settings that I can make to speed it up or should I just uninstall 8?
> >> I'm still running IE7 on my systems so I'm not familiar with 8 settings.
> >>
> >> Thanks,

> HI:

I, too, have had no success with IE8. I have never been able to wait for the
green ribbon of death to stop spinning to see if IE8 loads anything I ask
for. I disabled all add-ons as suggested above, but that changes nothing. I
have Vista-64bit and like most people, wish I didn't. Other browsers I try to
load won't work, probably because IE8 has screwed it up, and Firefox is now
maddening to run.
How can I uninstall EI8? When I use the uninstall procedure, IE is not
listed. Can I go back to 7? I've already learned I can't replace Vista with
XP.
Thanks,
hf