IE8: Browse by Name doesn't work

lcsusa

IE8: Browse by Name doesn't work
I am used to typing anything I want to into the address field and getting
results from Google. That no longer works. I need to use the search bar to
the right of the address bar. I am constantly forgetting. It's inconvenient.
Why has that feature been disabled in IE8? Or is it something that I'm doing
wrong?

TIA

Re: Browse by Name doesn't work
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Searching | Search from the Address
bar <=Is this option checked/enabled?

Also see my colleague Robert Aldwinckle's recommendations here:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e23e0a3d?hl=en

lcsusa wrote:
> I am used to typing anything I want to into the address field and getting
> results from Google. That no longer works. I need to use the search bar to
> the right of the address bar. I am constantly forgetting. It's
> inconvenient.
> Why has that feature been disabled in IE8? Or is it something that I'm
> doing
> wrong?
>
> TIA

lcsusa

Re: Browse by Name doesn't work
Sorry. XP SP3

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Searching | Search from the Address
> bar <=Is this option checked/enabled?
>
> Also see my colleague Robert Aldwinckle's recommendations here:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e23e0a3d?hl=en
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> lcsusa wrote:
> > I am used to typing anything I want to into the address field and getting
> > results from Google. That no longer works. I need to use the search bar to
> > the right of the address bar. I am constantly forgetting. It's
> > inconvenient.
> > Why has that feature been disabled in IE8? Or is it something that I'm
> > doing
> > wrong?
> >
> > TIA

VanguardLH

Re: IE8: Browse by Name doesn't work
lcsusa wrote:

> I am used to typing anything I want to into the address field and
> getting results from Google. That no longer works. I need to use the
> search bar to the right of the address bar. I am constantly
> forgetting. It's inconvenient. Why has that feature been disabled in
> IE8? Or is it something that I'm doing wrong?

"Browse by Name" is a feature of Google's Toolbar, not of IE8.
Microsoft is not responsible for the compatibility of 3rd party
toolbars, like Google's Toolbar. Many 3rd party add-ons are
incompatible with IE8 (as well as with each other).

Did you yet try uninstalling Google's Toolbar and then installing
whatever is their latest version?

Re: Browse by Name doesn't work
And...?

lcsusa wrote:
> Sorry. XP SP3
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Searching | Search from the
>> Address bar <=Is this option checked/enabled?
>>
>> Also see my colleague Robert Aldwinckle's recommendations here:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e23e0a3d?hl=en
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> lcsusa wrote:
>>> I am used to typing anything I want to into the address field and
>>> getting
>>> results from Google. That no longer works. I need to use the search bar
>>> the right of the address bar. I am constantly forgetting. It's
>>> inconvenient.
>>> Why has that feature been disabled in IE8? Or is it something that I'm
>>> doing
>>> wrong?
>>>
>>> TIA

lcsusa

Re: Browse by Name doesn't work
Hi again,

The path IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Searching | Search from
the Address Bar does not allow for a check to indicate yes - to search from
the address bar. Instead, Search from the Address Bar is a menu heading under
which are the two following options which CAN be checked (or not):

(radio button) Do not submit unknown addresses to your auto-search provider
(radio button) Just display the results in the main window

I do remember on previous versions of IE that you could choose to search
from the address bar - but not in the version on my desktop. It does work on
my daughter's laptop though. I can't find the distinction.

It's not that big a deal. I can always just use ctl-e to search from the
search bar. It's just a habit.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Searching | Search from the Address
> bar <=Is this option checked/enabled?
>
> Also see my colleague Robert Aldwinckle's recommendations here:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e23e0a3d?hl=en
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> lcsusa wrote:
> > I am used to typing anything I want to into the address field and getting
> > results from Google. That no longer works. I need to use the search bar to
> > the right of the address bar. I am constantly forgetting. It's
> > inconvenient.
> > Why has that feature been disabled in IE8? Or is it something that I'm
> > doing
> > wrong?
> >
> > TIA

Re: Browse by Name doesn't work
[My apologies: I posted instructions for IE7, not IE8. And we still don't
know your Windows version.]

lcsusa wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> The path IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Searching | Search from
> the Address Bar does not allow for a check to indicate yes - to search
> from
> the address bar. Instead, Search from the Address Bar is a menu heading
> under which are the two following options which CAN be checked (or not):
>
> (radio button) Do not submit unknown addresses to your auto-search
> provider
> (radio button) Just display the results in the main window
>
> I do remember on previous versions of IE that you could choose to search
> from the address bar - but not in the version on my desktop. It does work
> on
> my daughter's laptop though. I can't find the distinction.
>
> It's not that big a deal. I can always just use ctl-e to search from the
> search bar. It's just a habit.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Searching | Search from the
>> Address bar <=Is this option checked/enabled?
>>
>> Also see my colleague Robert Aldwinckle's recommendations here:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e23e0a3d?hl=en
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> lcsusa wrote:
>>> I am used to typing anything I want to into the address field and
>>> getting
>>> results from Google. That no longer works. I need to use the search bar
>>> the right of the address bar. I am constantly forgetting. It's
>>> inconvenient.
>>> Why has that feature been disabled in IE8? Or is it something that I'm
>>> doing
>>> wrong?
>>>
>>> TIA

lcsusa

Re: Browse by Name doesn't work
You must have missed it. I posted "XP SP3" a few posts back.