Default search problem

Annie Woughman

WinXP - IE 8 The option for choosing a default search provider will not
work. Whenever I open IE a box pops up stating:
"A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider
setting for Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer has reset this setting to
your original search provider Live Search (search.live.com) Internet Exploer
will now open Search Settings, where you can change this setting or install
more search providers. OK"
Only problem being, Live Search has never been my default search--I use
Google and when I try to deselect Live Search as default, nothing
happens--it is impossible to get rid of it. Today Live Search Changed to
Bing and the same thing happenes. I can install Google till the cows come
home but it will not show as my default search and I am getting sick of that
stupid box popping up. I have uninstalled and re-installed IE 8 three times
now and still same problem. (I have no added toolbars or anything else.)
Please help.

Re: Default search problem
Is Windows Live applications are installed, Annie?

Annie Woughman wrote:
> WinXP - IE 8 The option for choosing a default search provider will not
> work. Whenever I open IE a box pops up stating:
> "A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider
> setting for Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer has reset this setting
> your original search provider Live Search (search.live.com) Internet
> Exploer
> will now open Search Settings, where you can change this setting or
> install
> more search providers. OK"
> Only problem being, Live Search has never been my default search--I
> use
> Google and when I try to deselect Live Search as default, nothing
> happens--it is impossible to get rid of it. Today Live Search Changed to
> Bing and the same thing happenes. I can install Google till the cows come
> home but it will not show as my default search and I am getting sick of
> that
> stupid box popping up. I have uninstalled and re-installed IE 8 three
> times
> now and still same problem. (I have no added toolbars or anything else.)
> Please help.

Singapore Computer Service

Re: Default search problem
Hello,

Try running IE8 with add-ons disabled.

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
Add-ons) to start IE8 without any add-ons. Try using the browser and see if
the same problem arises.

If the problem does not occur again, start IE8 normally, go to Tools (if the
menu bar does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard) > Manage Add-ons.
Disable all the add-ons under 'Toolbars and Extensions'. Enable each add-on
one at each time and see if the problem occurs again. Once it occurs again
after enabling an add-on, you have nailed the culprit.

__
Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service
"Annie Woughman" <anniewoughman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> WinXP - IE 8 The option for choosing a default search provider will not
> work. Whenever I open IE a box pops up stating:
> "A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider
> setting for Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer has reset this setting
> to your original search provider Live Search (search.live.com) Internet
> Exploer will now open Search Settings, where you can change this setting
> or install more search providers. OK"
> Only problem being, Live Search has never been my default search--I
> use Google and when I try to deselect Live Search as default, nothing
> happens--it is impossible to get rid of it. Today Live Search Changed to
> Bing and the same thing happenes. I can install Google till the cows come
> home but it will not show as my default search and I am getting sick of
> that stupid box popping up. I have uninstalled and re-installed IE 8
> three times now and still same problem. (I have no added toolbars or
> anything else.) Please help.

Re: Default search problem
Make that "Are any Windows Live applications installed?"

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Is Windows Live applications are installed, Annie?
>
> Annie Woughman wrote:
>> WinXP - IE 8 The option for choosing a default search provider will not
>> work. Whenever I open IE a box pops up stating:
>> "A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider
>> setting for Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer has reset this setting
>> your original search provider Live Search (search.live.com) Internet
>> Exploer
>> will now open Search Settings, where you can change this setting or
>> install
>> more search providers. OK"
>> Only problem being, Live Search has never been my default search--I
>> use
>> Google and when I try to deselect Live Search as default, nothing
>> happens--it is impossible to get rid of it. Today Live Search Changed to
>> Bing and the same thing happenes. I can install Google till the cows
>> come
>> home but it will not show as my default search and I am getting sick of
>> that
>> stupid box popping up. I have uninstalled and re-installed IE 8 three
>> times
>> now and still same problem. (I have no added toolbars or anything else.)
>> Please help.

Extrememly Annoyed

RE: Default search problem
I am having the exact same problem. And if you go to the manage add ons in
the internet options is refuses to allow you to change the default to
anything but BING. I am extremely annoyed by this, especially the recurrence
of the message despite doing everything I can to save my current search
engine. I also get a different message about an add-on I use and I even
select "always allow IE to load with this add on" and it still pops up every
time I open IE. If this isn't resolved by Microsoft in the next 24 hours I
will be deleting IE and installing FireFox and never purchasing any Microsoft
products in the future. This entire update was useless and has done nothing
but caused nuisance.

"Annie Woughman" wrote:

> WinXP - IE 8 The option for choosing a default search provider will not
> work. Whenever I open IE a box pops up stating:
> "A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider
> setting for Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer has reset this setting to
> your original search provider Live Search (search.live.com) Internet Exploer
> will now open Search Settings, where you can change this setting or install
> more search providers. OK"
> Only problem being, Live Search has never been my default search--I use
> Google and when I try to deselect Live Search as default, nothing
> happens--it is impossible to get rid of it. Today Live Search Changed to
> Bing and the same thing happenes. I can install Google till the cows come
> home but it will not show as my default search and I am getting sick of that
> stupid box popping up. I have uninstalled and re-installed IE 8 three times
> now and still same problem. (I have no added toolbars or anything else.)
> Please help.

Annie Woughman

Re: Default search problem
I ended up uninstalling IE 8 and going with IE 7 until this problem is
resolved for XP machines and then told Windows update not to install that
update (IE 8) so it wouldn't keep pestering me about it. I love IE 8 on my
Vista machines but it is a real pain on the XP machines. Thanks for the
suggestions.

"Extrememly Annoyed" <Extrememly Annoyed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:010D2F40-B8B0-4800-80A3-8648B147CC80@microsoft.com...
>I am having the exact same problem. And if you go to the manage add ons in
> the internet options is refuses to allow you to change the default to
> anything but BING. I am extremely annoyed by this, especially the
> recurrence
> of the message despite doing everything I can to save my current search
> engine. I also get a different message about an add-on I use and I even
> select "always allow IE to load with this add on" and it still pops up
> every
> time I open IE. If this isn't resolved by Microsoft in the next 24 hours
> will be deleting IE and installing FireFox and never purchasing any
> Microsoft
> products in the future. This entire update was useless and has done
> nothing
> but caused nuisance.
>
> "Annie Woughman" wrote:
>
>> WinXP - IE 8 The option for choosing a default search provider will not
>> work. Whenever I open IE a box pops up stating:
>> "A program on your computer has corrupted your default search
>> provider
>> setting for Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer has reset this setting
>> your original search provider Live Search (search.live.com) Internet
>> Exploer
>> will now open Search Settings, where you can change this setting or
>> install
>> more search providers. OK"
>> Only problem being, Live Search has never been my default search--I
>> use
>> Google and when I try to deselect Live Search as default, nothing
>> happens--it is impossible to get rid of it. Today Live Search Changed to
>> Bing and the same thing happenes. I can install Google till the cows
>> come
>> home but it will not show as my default search and I am getting sick of
>> that
>> stupid box popping up. I have uninstalled and re-installed IE 8 three
>> times
>> now and still same problem. (I have no added toolbars or anything else.)
>> Please help.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Default search problem

"Annie Woughman" <anniewoughman@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:6540D55D-9663-4F11-A6AC-A9DADFBDD80B@microsoft.com...
>I ended up uninstalling IE 8 and going with IE 7 until this problem is
> resolved for XP machines and then told Windows update not to install that
> update (IE 8) so it wouldn't keep pestering me about it.

> I love IE 8 on my Vista machines but it is a real pain on the XP machines.

Your symptom is often caused by security software.
(E.g. registry keys being protected from changes by programs
that it doesn't recognize, including newer versions of iexplore.exe.)
So, consider what is different in that regard between your two systems
and experiment with those differences.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---