Add shortcut key to toggle between last two tabs viewed

JeffC

Add shortcut key to toggle between last two tabs viewed
Dear Microsoft IE8 Development Team:

Please consider adding the ability to toggle back and forth between the last
two tabs that were viewed (i.e. brought to the front), in a manner that is
analogous to the use of Alt-Tab to toggle back and forth between the last two
programs viewed.

This is a procedure that I use ALL THE TIME! I frequently have many more
than two tabs open, yet want to go back and forth to compare information
between two particular tabs. I can use my mouse, but if the tabs are widely
separated on the screen, the procedure is not fast. And you have to lose
focus to guide the mouse when you want to maintain focus on the two screens
to compare if there are any differences, and this really slows you down.

To be useful, the shortcut keys should be easy for the left hand alone to
operate. Here are several suggestions:
1. Ctrl-` (Control key, and the left inward single-quote key) toggle between
last two tabs viewed.
2. Or, provide an option in Internet Explorer 8, in Tools–Internet Options,
on the General tab page, in the Tabs section, in the Tabbed Browsing Settings
window, add a new option checkbox:
a. Control-Tab shortcut key has this action:
( ) <the current action>
(x) Toggles between the last two tabs viewed.

Thanks you for considering this suggestion.
Yours truly,
--
Jeff Cohen

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Re: Add shortcut key to toggle between last two tabs viewed
CTRL+TAB and/or CTRL+SHIFT+TAB

JeffC wrote:
> Dear Microsoft IE8 Development Team:
>
> Please consider adding the ability to toggle back and forth between the
> last
> two tabs that were viewed (i.e. brought to the front), in a manner that is
> analogous to the use of Alt-Tab to toggle back and forth between the last
> two programs viewed.
>
> This is a procedure that I use ALL THE TIME! I frequently have many more
> than two tabs open, yet want to go back and forth to compare information
> between two particular tabs. I can use my mouse, but if the tabs are
> widely
> separated on the screen, the procedure is not fast. And you have to lose
> focus to guide the mouse when you want to maintain focus on the two
> screens
> to compare if there are any differences, and this really slows you down.
>
> To be useful, the shortcut keys should be easy for the left hand alone to
> operate. Here are several suggestions:
> 1. Ctrl-` (Control key, and the left inward single-quote key) toggle
> between
> last two tabs viewed.
> 2. Or, provide an option in Internet Explorer 8, in Tools–Internet
> Options,
> on the General tab page, in the Tabs section, in the Tabbed Browsing
> Settings window, add a new option checkbox:
> a. Control-Tab shortcut key has this action:
> ( ) <the current action>
> (x) Toggles between the last two tabs viewed.
>
> Thanks you for considering this suggestion.
> Yours truly,

Robert Aldwinckle

"JeffC" <JeffC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3FA7CDB4-FEE0-4FC3-A405-6389D4360323@microsoft.com...
> Dear PA Bear:
>
> Thank you for your quick reply. However, I was aware of the two shortcut
> keys that you listed.

> They do not operate as I described.

Yes they do, provided you have set the right option.
Hint: it is NOT where you might think it would be.

> They move you
> sequentially through all of the open tab windows, either in a "right-ward"
> (Ctrl-Tab) or "left-ward" (Ctrl-****-Tab) direction, one tab at a time,
> starting from the current active tab. If you have 8 tabs open, there is no
> way to toggle between tabs 3 and 6, for example.

If 3 and 6 were associated in terms of use that is possible.

---