what is a usenet group?

Sandy J

what is a usenet group?
Excuse me for being stupid about group types but
is this group a usenet group? The reason I am asking is this:
I received this from AT&T (my internet and email server): On or around July
15, 2009 we will no longer provide access to the Usenet service.
If you wish to continue accessing Usenet newsgroups, please be aware that
many Usenet services are available for a subscription fee.

If this is a usenet group can anyone tell me what a good free newsreader
might be?

Sandy

C A Upsdell

Re: what is a usenet group?
Sandy J wrote:
> Excuse me for being stupid about group types but
> is this group a usenet group? The reason I am asking is this:
> I received this from AT&T (my internet and email server): On or around July
> 15, 2009 we will no longer provide access to the Usenet service.
> If you wish to continue accessing Usenet newsgroups, please be aware that
> many Usenet services are available for a subscription fee.
>
> If this is a usenet group can anyone tell me what a good free newsreader
> might be?

This is a newsgroup, available via usenet. You should use a newsreader:
there are many free programs available: I use Mozilla's Thunderbird.
This particular newsgroup is available from Microsoft, so even after
AT&T drops usenet access, you can still use this newsgroup by setting
the news server to msnews.microsoft.com , and subscribing to the
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general newsgroup.
Sandy J

Re: what is a usenet group?
Thanks for your reply...
I don't understand what you mean about accessing the group even after AT&T
drops it's support.
Do you mean I will still be able to access it in Outlook Express or were you
referring to Mozilla's Thunderbird?
Sandy

"C A Upsdell" <""cupsdell\"@nospam@upsdell.com"> wrote in message
: Sandy J wrote:
: > Excuse me for being stupid about group types but
: > is this group a usenet group? The reason I am asking is this:
: > I received this from AT&T (my internet and email server): On or around
July
: > 15, 2009 we will no longer provide access to the Usenet service.
: > If you wish to continue accessing Usenet newsgroups, please be aware
that
: > many Usenet services are available for a subscription fee.
: >
:

Sandy J wrote:
> Thanks for your reply...
> I don't understand what you mean about accessing the group even after AT&T
> drops it's support.
> Do you mean I will still be able to access it in Outlook Express or were you
> referring to Mozilla's Thunderbird?

Yes, you can continue to use Outlook Express as a newsreader.

As for "accessing the group even after AT&T drops it's support": a
newsgroup feed is supplied by a news server. If AT&T drops its support,
all this means is that they shut off their news server: but you can use
any news server which supplies the newsgroup(s) you want. In my
previous email I listed a Microsoft news server which you can use
instead of the AT&T news server ... but only for Microsoft newsgroups.
You can configure Outlook Express to use the Microsoft news server, and
then subscribe to the Microsoft newsgroups which interest you.

Re: what is a usenet group?
You're already accessing this newsgroup (and, I assume, other MS newsgroups)
via the free MS newsserver. AT&T's new policy will not affect that access,
Sandy.

Sandy J wrote:
> Thanks so much!
> :-)
> Sandy
>
> "C A Upsdell" <""cupsdell\"@nospam@upsdell.com"> wrote in message
>> Sandy J wrote:
>>> Thanks for your reply...
>>> I don't understand what you mean about accessing the group even after
>>> AT&T
>>> drops it's support.
>>> Do you mean I will still be able to access it in Outlook Express or were
>>> you referring to Mozilla's Thunderbird?

>> Yes, you can continue to use Outlook Express as a newsreader.
>>
>> As for "accessing the group even after AT&T drops it's support": a
>> newsgroup feed is supplied by a news server. If AT&T drops its support,
>> all this means is that they shut off their news server: but you can use
>> any news server which supplies the newsgroup(s) you want. In my
>> previous email I listed a Microsoft news server which you can use
>> instead of the AT&T news server ... but only for Microsoft newsgroups.
>> You can configure Outlook Express to use the Microsoft news server, and
>> then subscribe to the Microsoft newsgroups which interest you.

Don Varnau

Re: what is a usenet group?
Hi,
Adding to excellent advice you've received, for newsgroups other than
microsoft.public, try:
1. http://www.eternal-september.org/ (Free for the time being) Note that you
cannot register with an ATT e-mail address- use another such as Hotmail,
Yahoo, GMail, etc.
2. http://www.teranews.com/ Free after a small, one-time setup fee ($3.95)

-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Sandy J" <sandy@hatespam.com> wrote in message
> Thanks so much!
> :-)
> Sandy
>
> "C A Upsdell" <""cupsdell\"@nospam@upsdell.com"> wrote in message
> : Sandy J wrote:
> : > Thanks for your reply...
> : > I don't understand what you mean about accessing the group even after
> AT&T
> : > drops it's support.
> : > Do you mean I will still be able to access it in Outlook Express or

were
> you
> : > referring to Mozilla's Thunderbird?
> :
> : Yes, you can continue to use Outlook Express as a newsreader.
> :
> : As for "accessing the group even after AT&T drops it's support": a
> : newsgroup feed is supplied by a news server. If AT&T drops its support,
> : all this means is that they shut off their news server: but you can use
> : any news server which supplies the newsgroup(s) you want. In my
> : previous email I listed a Microsoft news server which you can use
> : instead of the AT&T news server ... but only for Microsoft newsgroups.
> : You can configure Outlook Express to use the Microsoft news server, and
> : then subscribe to the Microsoft newsgroups which interest you.

Sandy J

Re: what is a usenet group?
OH, thanks so much PA Bear.
:-)
is PA for Pennsylvania? It's my home state.
Sandy

: You're already accessing this newsgroup (and, I assume, other MS
newsgroups)
: via the free MS newsserver. AT&T's new policy will not affect that
access,
: Sandy.
: --
: ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
: MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
:
: Sandy J wrote:
: > Thanks so much!
: > :-)
: > Sandy
: >
: >> Sandy J wrote:
: >>> Thanks for your reply...
: >>> I don't understand what you mean about accessing the group even after
: >>> AT&T
: >>> drops it's support.
: >>> Do you mean I will still be able to access it in Outlook Express or
were
: >>> you referring to Mozilla's Thunderbird?
: >>
: >> Yes, you can continue to use Outlook Express as a newsreader.
: >>
: >> As for "accessing the group even after AT&T drops it's support": a
: >> newsgroup feed is supplied by a news server. If AT&T drops its
support,
: >> all this means is that they shut off their news server: but you can
use
: >> any news server which supplies the newsgroup(s) you want. In my
: >> previous email I listed a Microsoft news server which you can use
: >> instead of the AT&T news server ... but only for Microsoft newsgroups.
: >> You can configure Outlook Express to use the Microsoft news server, and
: >> then subscribe to the Microsoft newsgroups which interest you.
:

Sandy J

Re: what is a usenet group?

Thanks Don. I appreciate the links and I'll give them a peek. I'm curious
as to why an AT&T address is not allowed.
:-)
Sandy

: Hi,
: Adding to excellent advice you've received, for newsgroups other than
: microsoft.public, try:
: 1. http://www.eternal-september.org/ (Free for the time being) Note that
you
: cannot register with an ATT e-mail address- use another such as Hotmail,
: Yahoo, GMail, etc.
: 2. http://www.teranews.com/ Free after a small, one-time setup fee ($3.95)
:
: -
: Hope this helps,
: Don
: [MS MVP- IE]
:
: > : Sandy J wrote:
: > : > Thanks for your reply...
: > : > I don't understand what you mean about accessing the group even
after
: > AT&T
: > : > drops it's support.
: > : > Do you mean I will still be able to access it in Outlook Express or
: were
: > you
: > : > referring to Mozilla's Thunderbird?
: > :
[...]

Yep, PA = Pennsylvania