Re: Windows update site thinks my OS is Vista

Re: Windows update site thinks my OS is Vista
[Crosspost to IE General]

Wow, that UA string's all over the place (and installing Office Live
Connector, etc., is partly responsible IMHO)!

When did you install OneCare? Have you purchased it and is your
subscription current?

Were all OneCare components (e.g., anti-virus; firewall; anti-spyware)
running in the background when you installed IE8?

Did you format & reinstall WinXP on the machine having this problem? By any
chance did you Slipstream IE7 or IE8 before doing the clean install?

Now, what to do about it? If you're technically gifted, you might want to
play around with UA Picker (http://www.enhanceie.com/ietoys/uapick.asp) but
that won't really fix the problem so I'll give you 2 other options (please
read & consider both):

#1 => See if uninstalling IE8 (which will automatically restore your
previous IE version) resolves the behavior.

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

NB: I would strongly recommend uninstalling IE8 in Safe Mode to avoid any
possible interference from OneCare! After rebooting twice (into normal
mode), go immediately to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, select CUSTOM &
scan, then install any critical security updates offered.

NB: Do NOT reinstall IE8! Uncheck it & "hide" it instead.

NB: If uninstalling returns you to IE7 and a Root Certificates update is
listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage
of IE7's enhanced security.

#2 => Open a free support incident. I suspect the engineers would /love/ to
work on this one!

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

Please keep us posted by replying to this thread! Good luck.

GW62 wrote:
> I am using Window Live One Care as my security suite. My laptop (WinXPPRO)
> experienced the same issue as my desktop and it uses WLOC. I recently had
> format the HD for other reasons, and it does have IE8 installed with no
> issues as of now.
>
> I also don't have a good point to restore from on my desktop. This problem
> has been an issue for several weeks now.
>
> And here is the info you requested:
>
> Your browser sent the following headers:
> Connection: Keep-AliveAccept: */*Accept-Encoding: gzip,
> deflateAccept-Language: en-usHost: www.fiddlertool.comReferer:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ang =en&cr=US
> CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; MS-RTC LM 8; .NET
> CLR
> 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; OfficeLiveConnector.1.3;
> OfficeLivePatch.1.3)
> UA-CPU: x86Long
> UA Warning: Your User-Agent string is
> longer than 200 characters. This may cause problems with some websites,
> which may block you from visiting, render blank pages, or show error
> messages. More Information is available about this problem and how to fix
> it.

> ASPNET's HTTPBrowserCapabilities object reports that, based on the
> User-Agent, your Browser has the following capabilities:
>
> Type = IE8
> Name = IE
> Version = 8.0
> Major Version = 8
> Minor Version = 0
> Platform = WinNT
> Is Beta = False
> Is Crawler = False
> Is AOL = False
> Is Win16 = False
> Is Win32 = True
> Supports Frames = True
> Supports Tables = True
> Supports Cookies = True
> Supports VBScript = True
> Supports JavaScript = True
> Supports Java Applets = True
> Supports ActiveX Controls = True
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> applications running in the background when you installed or uninstalled
>> IE8?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>
>> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
>> have
>> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>>
>> Open IE to this page: http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx
>>
>> Copy/Paste the contents of the first 2 boxes into a reply to this post.

<snip>