After IE8 install, hostnames require qualification

IntegrationJunkie

After IE8 install, hostnames require qualification
I installed IE8 yesterday and ever since, cannot resolve a host by its simple
name (ie. myhost instead of myhost.mydomain.com)

I can ping the simple hostname, and the ping discovers the domain suffix,
but IE8 will not resolve it at all.

This is very frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.
VanguardLH

Re: After IE8 install, hostnames require qualification
IntegrationJunkie wrote:

> I installed IE8 yesterday and ever since, cannot resolve a host by its simple
> name (ie. myhost instead of myhost.mydomain.com)
>
> I can ping the simple hostname, and the ping discovers the domain suffix,
> but IE8 will not resolve it at all.
>
> This is very frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

Um, just how would anything know where you wanted to go based on an
incomplete URL? They would have to guess.

What you mention is not in IE. You had an add-on installed, like
Google's Toolbar with its Browse By Name option enabled. Their toolbar
has caused lots of problems with IE8. See what happens when you
uninstall it and reinstall the latest version.

http://www.google.com/support/toolba...en&answer=9267

Many add-ons are not compatible with IE8. You'll have to see if there
are later IE8-compatible versions of them.
Singapore Computer Service

Re: After IE8 install, hostnames require qualification
Hello,

Try running IE8 with add-ons disabled.

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
Add-ons) to start IE8 without any add-ons. Try using the browser and see if
the same problem arises.

If the problem does not occur again, start IE8 normally, go to Tools (if the
menu bar does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard) > Manage Add-ons.
Disable all the add-ons under 'Toolbars and Extensions'. Enable each add-on
one at each time and see if the problem occurs again. Once it occurs again
after enabling an add-on, you have nailed the culprit.

__
Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service
"IntegrationJunkie" <IntegrationJunkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F4B0BA28-2D55-4705-BA8B-2D93D3AAE12F@microsoft.com...
>I installed IE8 yesterday and ever since, cannot resolve a host by its
>simple
> name (ie. myhost instead of myhost.mydomain.com)
>
> I can ping the simple hostname, and the ping discovers the domain suffix,
> but IE8 will not resolve it at all.
>
> This is very frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

IntegrationJunkie

Re: After IE8 install, hostnames require qualification
Thanks for the reply.

I had already tried it with add-ons disabled before posting.

The host i am hitting is a server on the local intranet. Here is the result
of a ping to the machine:

C:\>ping dublabsales4

Pinging dublabsales4.labsci.local [10.117.15.150] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 10.117.15.150:

Notice that when i ping with the simple name dublabsales4, the dns lookup
appends the labsci.local to the hostname (based on the TCP/IP settings for
the connection).

I can hit the box with Firefox and Chrome using dublabsales4, but not IE8.

Interestingly enough, the same problem occurs when i add the host to my
hosts file.

Its almost as if isn't resolving against the hosts file.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

"Singapore Computer Service" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Try running IE8 with add-ons disabled.
>
> Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
> Add-ons) to start IE8 without any add-ons. Try using the browser and see if
> the same problem arises.
>
> If the problem does not occur again, start IE8 normally, go to Tools (if the
> menu bar does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard) > Manage Add-ons.
> Disable all the add-ons under 'Toolbars and Extensions'. Enable each add-on
> one at each time and see if the problem occurs again. Once it occurs again
> after enabling an add-on, you have nailed the culprit.
>
> __
> http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
> Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service
> "IntegrationJunkie" <IntegrationJunkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:F4B0BA28-2D55-4705-BA8B-2D93D3AAE12F@microsoft.com...
> >I installed IE8 yesterday and ever since, cannot resolve a host by its
> >simple
> > name (ie. myhost instead of myhost.mydomain.com)
> >
> > I can ping the simple hostname, and the ping discovers the domain suffix,
> > but IE8 will not resolve it at all.
> >
> > This is very frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

Singapore Computer Service

Re: After IE8 install, hostnames require qualification
Hello,

Is IE8 configured with a proxy server? If so, try disabling it. Even if you
are very sure, verify that the proxy settings are not set as some software
tend to set proxy without informing the user.
__
message news:A3E026B9-99F7-4F64-90FC-43F4426FEF2D@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I had already tried it with add-ons disabled before posting.
>
> The host i am hitting is a server on the local intranet. Here is the
> result
> of a ping to the machine:
>
> C:\>ping dublabsales4
>
> Pinging dublabsales4.labsci.local [10.117.15.150] with 32 bytes of data:
>
> Reply from 10.117.15.150: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=61
> Reply from 10.117.15.150: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=61
> Reply from 10.117.15.150: bytes=32 time=73ms TTL=61
> Reply from 10.117.15.150: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=61
>
> Ping statistics for 10.117.15.150:
> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
> Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
> Minimum = 63ms, Maximum = 73ms, Average = 68ms
>
> Notice that when i ping with the simple name dublabsales4, the dns lookup
> appends the labsci.local to the hostname (based on the TCP/IP settings for
> the connection).
>
> I can hit the box with Firefox and Chrome using dublabsales4, but not IE8.
>
> Interestingly enough, the same problem occurs when i add the host to my
> hosts file.
>
> Its almost as if isn't resolving against the hosts file.
>
> Any thoughts are appreciated.
>

> "Singapore Computer Service" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Try running IE8 with add-ons disabled.
>>
>> Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
>> (No
>> Add-ons) to start IE8 without any add-ons. Try using the browser and see
>> if
>> the same problem arises.
>>
>> If the problem does not occur again, start IE8 normally, go to Tools (if
>> the
>> menu bar does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard) > Manage
>> Add-ons.
>> Disable all the add-ons under 'Toolbars and Extensions'. Enable each
>> add-on
>> one at each time and see if the problem occurs again. Once it occurs
>> again
>> after enabling an add-on, you have nailed the culprit.
>>
>> __
>> http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
>> Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service
>> "IntegrationJunkie" <IntegrationJunkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:F4B0BA28-2D55-4705-BA8B-2D93D3AAE12F@microsoft.com...
>> >I installed IE8 yesterday and ever since, cannot resolve a host by its
>> >simple
>> > name (ie. myhost instead of myhost.mydomain.com)
>> >
>> > I can ping the simple hostname, and the ping discovers the domain
>> > suffix,
>> > but IE8 will not resolve it at all.
>> >
>> > This is very frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

VanguardLH

Re: After IE8 install, hostnames require qualification
Singapore Computer Service wrote:
<snip>
> __
> http:// www. b**tstrike. com/ComputerService/
> Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service

Be leery of advice from a SPAMMER. They have a different agenda then
their pretense of giving help. This one does know how to put his spam
in a signature but refuses to do so because he is scared of newsreaders
that strip off signatures.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: After IE8 install, hostnames require qualification

"IntegrationJunkie" <IntegrationJunkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I installed IE8 yesterday and ever since, cannot resolve a host by its simple
> name (ie. myhost instead of myhost.mydomain.com)
>
> I can ping the simple hostname, and the ping discovers the domain suffix,
> but IE8 will not resolve it at all.
>
> This is very frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

Use Fiddler2 to find out what HTTP request is being generated by
your Enter.

---