Re: cannot install WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB969897-x64-ENU ...

Re: cannot install WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB969897-x64-ENU ...
[Crosspost to IE General]

Well, you're not running WinXP x64 so it should come as no surpise that the
x64 version of KB969897 throws that error. Furthermore, your HJT log shows
that the correct version of KB969897 for WinXP SP3 (i.e., 7.00.6000.16850)
is already installed.

Is Automatic Updates enabled and offering this specific update package?

Does Windows Update website (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) offer this
specific update package?

Are you attempting to install this specific update package manually? If so,
why?

khorst wrote:
> and receive error - update\update.exe not valid win32 application.
>
> I ran hijackthis and got the following results:
> Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
> Scan saved at 6:55:42 AM, on 7/8/2009
> Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
> MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16850)
> Boot mode: Normal

<snip>

khorst

Re: cannot install WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB969897-x64-ENU ..
Yes, auto updates attempts to install this but fails on download. I
downloaded manually and it fails, giving me the error.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to IE General]
>
> Well, you're not running WinXP x64 so it should come as no surpise that the
> x64 version of KB969897 throws that error. Furthermore, your HJT log shows
> that the correct version of KB969897 for WinXP SP3 (i.e., 7.00.6000.16850)
> is already installed.
>
> Is Automatic Updates enabled and offering this specific update package?
>
> Does Windows Update website (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) offer this
> specific update package?
>
> Are you attempting to install this specific update package manually? If so,
> why?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> khorst wrote:
> > and receive error - update\update.exe not valid win32 application.
> >
> > I ran hijackthis and got the following results:
> > Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
> > Scan saved at 6:55:42 AM, on 7/8/2009
> > Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
> > MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16850)
> > Boot mode: Normal

> <snip>

Re: cannot install WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB969897-x64-ENU ..
How bizarre, especially since your HJT log shows that you're not running
WinXP x64 and that the correct version for WinXP SP3 is already installed!
Are you dual-booting by any chance?

The above notwithstanding, I'd recommend that you...

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB969897).

LOOK!! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
call the above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue"
(which is 47830).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

khorst wrote:
> Yes, auto updates attempts to install this but fails on download. I
> downloaded manually and it fails, giving me the error.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [Crosspost to IE General]
>>
>> Well, you're not running WinXP x64 so it should come as no surprise that
>> the
>> x64 version of KB969897 throws that error. Furthermore, your HJT log
>> shows
>> that the correct version of KB969897 for WinXP SP3 (i.e.,
>> 7.00.6000.16850)
>> is already installed.
>>
>> Is Automatic Updates enabled and offering this specific update package?
>>
>> Does Windows Update website (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) offer
>> this
>> specific update package?
>>
>> Are you attempting to install this specific update package manually? If
>> so, why?
>>
>> khorst wrote:
>>> and receive error - update\update.exe not valid win32 application.
>>>
>>> I ran hijackthis and got the following results:
>>> Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
>>> Scan saved at 6:55:42 AM, on 7/8/2009
>>> Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
>>> MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16850)
>>> Boot mode: Normal

>> <snip>

khorst

Re: cannot install WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB969897-x64-ENU ..
Not dual booting, just weird. As long as my log looks OK, I'm happy. I've had
problems running auto updates, active X would not install so I had to
re-install IE 7. I can't run IE 8 because I log my work hours online and
their systems don't work with IE8 or firefox. Thanks for you help!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> How bizarre, especially since your HJT log shows that you're not running
> WinXP x64 and that the correct version for WinXP SP3 is already installed!
> Are you dual-booting by any chance?
>
> The above notwithstanding, I'd recommend that you...

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB969897).
>
> LOOK!! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
> call the above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue"
> (which is 47830).

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>

> khorst wrote:
> > Yes, auto updates attempts to install this but fails on download. I
> > downloaded manually and it fails, giving me the error.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> [Crosspost to IE General]
> >>
> >> Well, you're not running WinXP x64 so it should come as no surprise that
> >> the
> >> x64 version of KB969897 throws that error. Furthermore, your HJT log
> >> shows
> >> that the correct version of KB969897 for WinXP SP3 (i.e.,
> >> 7.00.6000.16850)
> >> is already installed.
> >>
> >> Is Automatic Updates enabled and offering this specific update package?
> >>
> >> Does Windows Update website (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) offer
> >> this
> >> specific update package?
> >>
> >> Are you attempting to install this specific update package manually? If
> >> so, why?

> >> <snip>

Re: cannot install WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB969897-x64-ENU ..
I suspect your earlier problems may have been caused by a hijackware
infection that persists to this day. I would NOT say that everything's OK
and that you can ignore this.

NB: I only glanced at your HJT log. We don't interpret/work with HJT logs
in the public newsgroups. If you'd like to pursue the distinct possibility
of a continuing hijackware infection, keep reading...

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums as well.**