Re: DEP and IE8

[crosspost to IE General]

In another thread, you told us...

> ...my computer has an expired copy
> of McAfee that is incredibly annoying and intrusive (which is why I never
> renewed it).

Backup your personal data, then do a format & clean install of Windows.
Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx

Rogue Security Software - Microsoft Security:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ses/rogue.mspx

Not Bill Gates wrote:
> Great! Now that I've accpeted the upgrade to Internet Explorer 8, along
> with some upgrade to Windows XP2, I can no longer access the internet at
> all. When I try, all I get is a message that Data Execution Protection is
> preventing the program Internet Explorer from running! I've tried
> changing
> the DEP settings with no luck. Can I turn the blasted thing off? This is
> WORSE than a worthless upgrade! I am now left with NOTHING. I can't even
> log onto the internet at home, and must rely onthis blog at work.
>
> Can anyone help?

VanguardLH

Re: DEP and IE8
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> [crosspost to IE General]
>
> In another thread, you told us...
>
>> ...my computer has an expired copy
>> of McAfee that is incredibly annoying and intrusive (which is why I never
>> renewed it).

> Backup your personal data, then do a format & clean install of Windows.
> Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!
>
> cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps
>
> After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
> take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
> the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
> isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:
>
> 5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
> (after a clean install)
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
> clean install)
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b
>
> Also see:
>
> Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx
>
> Rogue Security Software - Microsoft Security:
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ses/rogue.mspx

Original newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Added newsgroups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
Effector/Respondent: PA Bear

This is to warn that Effector has copied [only a subthread of] an
existing discussion to other groups by cross-posting their reply to
groups not originally specified by the OP (original post[er]). There
may be additional replies back under the original post in its original
group(s) than just those shown under the subthread for the Effector's
cross-posted reply. If the OP and others wish to ensure that they see
ALL replies then they must visit the original groups to check if there
are subthreads *other* than under the Effector's reply.

<rant_start>
If the OP wishes to move or copy their discussion to another group, that
should be *their* choice and not as an UNSOLICITED action enforced by
another *user*. Despite his pretense, the Effector is not a moderator
or admin but just another user who is propagating the OP's discussion to
different group(s) that he has divined are more appropriate and to
enlarge the audience or hopefully provide a more focused community on
the topic but which may not be a correct action (since the source of the
problem may not be relevant to those other groups simply based on where
the OP reported the symptoms). If the OP wants to move or copy their
discussion to another group, that should be THEIR choice and not of the
Respondent. The Respondent should only recommend to the OP that there
may be more appropriate or useful groups to which the OP should repost
or cross-post their message, not enforce the propagation of the OP's
discussion to other groups.

There are times when the Newsgroups header should be modified to a
different set of groups than was originally specified by the user.
Examples are: using a *.test group to redirect negative or expository
replies into the bit bucket (common with spammers or trolls); removal of
completely unrelated groups (i.e., the OP cross-posted to invalid
groups), an attempt to flame a smaller community or low-bandwidth group
with a rash of replies from other groups (i.e., an intentional attempt
to vengefully or maliciously flood forward into other groups), inclusion
of *.kook or other groups with the intention to flame the other groups
with the inflamed responses (i.e., attempt to flood backward into other
groups), responding to a spam exhibit or announcements but discussions
about them belong in another group, and so on. A misguided need to
enlarge exposure for a discussion based on a choice made by the
Respondent is not an adequate reason to alter the Newsgroups header.

Recommend the OP should move.
Do not SHOVE them over.
It should be the OP's choice, not the Respondent's.
<rant_end>