IE8 Tabs on XP SP3

John Boy

IE8 Tabs on XP SP3
Installed IE8 recently on XP2 SP3 and works fine most the time but sometimes
when opening a new tab it will not connect to a site. Diagnose Connection
states 'check firewall settings' but if you open another instance you can
get to a website without problem. Is there a solution to this problem?

--
JohnBoy
UK

Re: IE8 Tabs on XP SP3
IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

John Boy wrote:
> Installed IE8 recently on XP2 SP3 and works fine most the time but
> sometimes
> when opening a new tab it will not connect to a site. Diagnose Connection
> states 'check firewall settings' but if you open another instance you can
> get to a website without problem. Is there a solution to this problem?

Bryan

Re: IE8 Tabs on XP SP3
1."No Add-ons mode" does not work for me.

2. "Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)" works for me. But it does seem to be
too tedious for ordinary users to go through searching and checking to find
out this solution. When I searched the net, many ppl do have similar
problems, which would probably discourage others to resort to other browsers.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?
>
> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>
> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> John Boy wrote:
> > Installed IE8 recently on XP2 SP3 and works fine most the time but
> > sometimes
> > when opening a new tab it will not connect to a site. Diagnose Connection
> > states 'check firewall settings' but if you open another instance you can
> > get to a website without problem. Is there a solution to this problem?

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Tabs on XP SP3
You misunderstand the purpose of RIES.

If Internet Explorer works properly after a reset, that means that one
of the add-ons that /you/ installed or one of the configuration settings
that /you/ made caused the problem. To discover your error - and since
when is it illegal to make mistakes - re-enable your add-ons or
configuration settings one at a time until you come to the one that
caused the problem. Then, to solve the problem:

Bryan: Doc, it hurts when I do this.
Doctor: Then don't do it.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Bryan wrote:
> 1."No Add-ons mode" does not work for me.
>
> 2. "Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)" works for me. But it does seem to be
> too tedious for ordinary users to go through searching and checking to find
> out this solution. When I searched the net, many ppl do have similar
> problems, which would probably discourage others to resort to other browsers.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:

>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>
>> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
>> IE8?
>>
>> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>
>> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
>> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> John Boy wrote:
>>> Installed IE8 recently on XP2 SP3 and works fine most the time but
>>> sometimes
>>> when opening a new tab it will not connect to a site. Diagnose Connection
>>> states 'check firewall settings' but if you open another instance you can
>>> get to a website without problem. Is there a solution to this problem?

Re: IE8 Tabs on XP SP3
What Leonard said. If you need additional assistance, Bryan, please begin a
new thread. THX