Re: OE 6 & IE 8 - Attachments will not open

Re: OE 6 & IE 8 - Attachments will not open
[Crosspost to IE General]

Did you disable the anti-virus and firewall components of Trend Micro
Internet Security and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to installing
IE8?

Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

While this recent thread was about the same problem in Windows Mail/Vista,
the discussion and resolution applies to OE and WinXP:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...2-d656f98efaf3

PopcornLady wrote:
> I have been searching alot of different sites for the answer and thought
> maybe someone here could help.
>
> I have OE 6 and upgrade last week from IE 7 to IE 8, I can no longer open
> any attachments, .jpg, .pdf, .tif just to name a few. I have to save the
> file on hard drive and then open separately, big pain. Sometimes if I
> close
> OE and reopen OE I can open the attachment. I really don't want to
> uninstall IE 8 and go back.
>
> Are attachments all considered Hyperlinks? I found an article about OE 6
> and IE 7 and hyperlinks and a "Fix it" instructions from microsoft, but I
> never had this problem with IE 7, didn't know if these instructions would
> be
> good for IE 8 too.
>
> I have Windows XP, HE, SP3, Trend Micro Internet Security, no firewall up,
> just scans emails for viruses for me.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> PopcornLady

PopcornLady

Re: OE 6 & IE 8 - Attachments will not open
No I didn't disable TMIS or enable WF prior to installing, I'm trying to
remember if it told me too, I'm usually very good with directions, can't
remember that specific instruction, but it could have been there. I do not
use Trend's firewall or Windows Firewall so my anit-virus is only scanning
incoming emails.

No free trial's of any anti-virus programs were on this machine, was clean
hard drive that we installed all new programs on fresh about 6 months ago.

I've have restore points before my installation of IE 8 on June 25.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to IE General]
>
> Did you disable the anti-virus and firewall components of Trend Micro
> Internet Security and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to installing
> IE8?

> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>
> While this recent thread was about the same problem in Windows Mail/Vista,
> the discussion and resolution applies to OE and WinXP:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...2-d656f98efaf3
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> PopcornLady wrote:
> > I have been searching alot of different sites for the answer and thought
> > maybe someone here could help.
> >
> > I have OE 6 and upgrade last week from IE 7 to IE 8, I can no longer open
> > any attachments, .jpg, .pdf, .tif just to name a few. I have to save the
> > file on hard drive and then open separately, big pain. Sometimes if I
> > close
> > OE and reopen OE I can open the attachment. I really don't want to
> > uninstall IE 8 and go back.
> >
> > Are attachments all considered Hyperlinks? I found an article about OE 6
> > and IE 7 and hyperlinks and a "Fix it" instructions from microsoft, but I
> > never had this problem with IE 7, didn't know if these instructions would
> > be
> > good for IE 8 too.
> >
> > I have Windows XP, HE, SP3, Trend Micro Internet Security, no firewall up,
> > just scans emails for viruses for me.
> >
> > Thanks for any help!
> >
> > PopcornLady

Re: OE 6 & IE 8 - Attachments will not open
You never have the TM firewall or the Windows Firewall enabled? That's not
a wise thing to do.

What version of TMIS is installed? Can you manually update TMIS and have
you done so recently & repeat until you get a "no more updates available"
prompt? There are slightly older versions of TMIS that are not supported in
IE8.
--
~PA Bear

PopcornLady wrote:
> No I didn't disable TMIS or enable WF prior to installing, I'm trying to
> remember if it told me too, I'm usually very good with directions, can't
> remember that specific instruction, but it could have been there. I do
> not
> use Trend's firewall or Windows Firewall so my anit-virus is only scanning
> incoming emails.
>
> No free trial's of any anti-virus programs were on this machine, was clean
> hard drive that we installed all new programs on fresh about 6 months ago.
>
> I've have restore points before my installation of IE 8 on June 25.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [Crosspost to IE General]
>>
>> Did you disable the anti-virus and firewall components of Trend Micro
>> Internet Security and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to
>> installing
>> IE8?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>
>> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
>> have
>> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>>
>> While this recent thread was about the same problem in Windows
>> Mail/Vista,
>> the discussion and resolution applies to OE and WinXP:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...2-d656f98efaf3
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> PopcornLady wrote:
>>> I have been searching alot of different sites for the answer and thought
>>> maybe someone here could help.
>>>
>>> I have OE 6 and upgrade last week from IE 7 to IE 8, I can no longer
>>> open
>>> any attachments, .jpg, .pdf, .tif just to name a few. I have to save
>>> the
>>> file on hard drive and then open separately, big pain. Sometimes if I
>>> close
>>> OE and reopen OE I can open the attachment. I really don't want to
>>> uninstall IE 8 and go back.
>>>
>>> Are attachments all considered Hyperlinks? I found an article about OE
>>> 6
>>> and IE 7 and hyperlinks and a "Fix it" instructions from microsoft, but
>>> never had this problem with IE 7, didn't know if these instructions
>>> would
>>> be
>>> good for IE 8 too.
>>>
>>> I have Windows XP, HE, SP3, Trend Micro Internet Security, no firewall
>>> up,
>>> just scans emails for viruses for me.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help!
>>>
>>> PopcornLady

PopcornLady

Re: OE 6 & IE 8 - Attachments will not open
Everytime we have firewalls activated we cannot see each others network and
it is a pain. We are a small company (3 person office) and nobody here has
enough network experience to get it working right so for years we just have
it scan all incoming email.

My version of TMIS is 2009, looks like version 16 and the website says
version 17 is available as a download. I will do that and see what happens.

I don't know if you notice my comment to VanguardLH, I can open, .pdf, .xls,
and word documents, just not .tif (which is all our faxes we receive by
email) and pictures people send to me which I view with Windows Picture & Fax
Viewer. I had tried to change the association of certain extensions like
..tif and .jpg to open with a different program but it made no difference.

I try the upgrade from TM and let you know the outcome.

Thanks for all your help.

PopcornLady

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You never have the TM firewall or the Windows Firewall enabled? That's not
> a wise thing to do.
>
> What version of TMIS is installed? Can you manually update TMIS and have
> you done so recently & repeat until you get a "no more updates available"
> prompt? There are slightly older versions of TMIS that are not supported in
> IE8.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> PopcornLady wrote:
> > No I didn't disable TMIS or enable WF prior to installing, I'm trying to
> > remember if it told me too, I'm usually very good with directions, can't
> > remember that specific instruction, but it could have been there. I do
> > not
> > use Trend's firewall or Windows Firewall so my anit-virus is only scanning
> > incoming emails.
> >
> > No free trial's of any anti-virus programs were on this machine, was clean
> > hard drive that we installed all new programs on fresh about 6 months ago.
> >
> > I've have restore points before my installation of IE 8 on June 25.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> [Crosspost to IE General]
> >>
> >> Did you disable the anti-virus and firewall components of Trend Micro
> >> Internet Security and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to
> >> installing
> >> IE8?
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >>
> >> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> >> have
> >> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> >>
> >> While this recent thread was about the same problem in Windows
> >> Mail/Vista,
> >> the discussion and resolution applies to OE and WinXP:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...2-d656f98efaf3
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

PopcornLady

Re: OE 6 & IE 8 - Attachments will not open
Well it turns out I have the most current version, 17.1.1250. TMIS
automatically updates every 12 hours.

Do you have any other suggestions, should I just go back to IE 7 ???

PopcornLady

"PopcornLady" wrote:

> Everytime we have firewalls activated we cannot see each others network and
> it is a pain. We are a small company (3 person office) and nobody here has
> enough network experience to get it working right so for years we just have
> it scan all incoming email.
>
> My version of TMIS is 2009, looks like version 16 and the website says
> version 17 is available as a download. I will do that and see what happens.
>
> I don't know if you notice my comment to VanguardLH, I can open, .pdf, .xls,
> and word documents, just not .tif (which is all our faxes we receive by
> email) and pictures people send to me which I view with Windows Picture & Fax
> Viewer. I had tried to change the association of certain extensions like
> .tif and .jpg to open with a different program but it made no difference.
>
> I try the upgrade from TM and let you know the outcome.
>
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> PopcornLady
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > You never have the TM firewall or the Windows Firewall enabled? That's not
> > a wise thing to do.
> >
> > What version of TMIS is installed? Can you manually update TMIS and have
> > you done so recently & repeat until you get a "no more updates available"
> > prompt? There are slightly older versions of TMIS that are not supported in
> > IE8.
> > --
> > ~PA Bear
> >

> > PopcornLady wrote:
> > > No I didn't disable TMIS or enable WF prior to installing, I'm trying to
> > > remember if it told me too, I'm usually very good with directions, can't
> > > remember that specific instruction, but it could have been there. I do
> > > not
> > > use Trend's firewall or Windows Firewall so my anit-virus is only scanning
> > > incoming emails.
> > >
> > > No free trial's of any anti-virus programs were on this machine, was clean
> > > hard drive that we installed all new programs on fresh about 6 months ago.
> > >
> > > I've have restore points before my installation of IE 8 on June 25.

Re: OE 6 & IE 8 - Attachments will not open
Judging from your later replies to this thread, you've resolved your
problems so I haven't anything further to add.