Odd gap in IE7 Google search

Anthony Giorgianni

Odd gap in IE7 Google search
Hello All

An strange thing started happening the other day on my work WinXP laptop
with IE7 (Lenovo 14-inch screen). When I run a Google search, there's a gap
at the top of the page - between the top and the search results - the exact
size of the Google sponsored link that run down the right side of the page.
If there are no sponsored links, there's no gap. But if I search
"Microsoft," for example, the gap is so large (because of so many sponsored
links) that the entire center of the screen is blank, and I have to scroll
down to the entire next page to see any search results.

I've tried resetting Explorer, disabling any add-ons. etc, but it's the same
think. This never happened before, and it isn't happening on my home 17 inch
Toshiba laptop.

Thanks for any ideas.

Anthony Giorgianni
For everyone's benefit, please post back to the group.

Anthony Giorgianni

Solved? Re: Odd gap in IE7 Google search
Found the problem. If was Google desktop search. When I shut if off,
everything went back to normal. Not sure why it suddenly started doing this.

Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni
"Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepost@backto.group> wrote in message
> Hello All
>
> An strange thing started happening the other day on my work WinXP laptop
> with IE7 (Lenovo 14-inch screen). When I run a Google search, there's a
> gap at the top of the page - between the top and the search results - the
> exact size of the Google sponsored link that run down the right side of
> the page. If there are no sponsored links, there's no gap. But if I search
> "Microsoft," for example, the gap is so large (because of so many
> to scroll down to the entire next page to see any search results.
>
> I've tried resetting Explorer, disabling any add-ons. etc, but it's the
> same think. This never happened before, and it isn't happening on my home
> 17 inch Toshiba laptop.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> Anthony Giorgianni
> For everyone's benefit, please post back to the group.

Re: Odd gap in IE7 Google search
Are you searching via IE7's Search box (w/Google as your default) or via
www.google.com when you see this behavior?

Do you see the gap here
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=f&oq=&aqi=g10

....but not here
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...qi=g%3Ae6 g4?

Anthony Giorgianni wrote:
> Hello All
>
> An strange thing started happening the other day on my work WinXP laptop
> with IE7 (Lenovo 14-inch screen). When I run a Google search, there's a
> gap
> at the top of the page - between the top and the search results - the
> exact
> size of the Google sponsored link that run down the right side of the
> page.
> If there are no sponsored links, there's no gap. But if I search
> "Microsoft," for example, the gap is so large (because of so many
> sponsored
> links) that the entire center of the screen is blank, and I have to scroll
> down to the entire next page to see any search results.
>
> I've tried resetting Explorer, disabling any add-ons. etc, but it's the
> same
> think. This never happened before, and it isn't happening on my home 17
> inch
> Toshiba laptop.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> Anthony Giorgianni
> For everyone's benefit, please post back to the group.

VanguardLH

Re: Solved? Re: Odd gap in IE7 Google search
Anthony Giorgianni wrote:

> Found the problem. If was Google desktop search. When I shut if off,
> everything went back to normal. Not sure why it suddenly started doing this.

Google installs their GoogleUpdater.exe program. Rather than telling
you about updates to their software so you can choose if and when to
install them, Google forces updates to your host so you have the latest
version of their software. They don't care about your security. They
don't care about modifying the state of your host without your
permission. You might want to reconsider what, if any, Google software
you install on your host. Shoving new versions onto your host whenever
they want doesn't mean the latest version is the best one for you. That
Google can install new versions of their software means they have remote
control of your host.

http://www.pctipsbox.com/what-is-goo...y-its-running/

Since an update could change the service back to Automatic and reinstall
their updater program, you're best to get rid of the Google stuff.
Google even defies standard Windows install practices and uses a trick
to let non-admin users to install Google software. Google is rude.
Alternatively, you could define a SRP (software restriction policy)
using gpedit.msc or secpol.msc that blocks googleupdater.exe from ever
running (if they put it in the same path). If you have multiple Google
products installed, check under the install folder for each for their
updater (although, as I recall, it was under a separate same-level
subfolder from the product's folder).