IE8 - "Links" drop-down that USED to be in Toolbar

- Bobb -

IE8 - "Links" drop-down that USED to be in Toolbar
Trying IE8 on test box and notice - no LINKS option in toolbar. I tried
HELP - nothing.
I use that a lot - they just dropped it ? - or is there a checkbox somewhere
to turn it on ?
Thanks ( without it I'll stay at IE6 )

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 - "Links" drop-down that USED to be in Toolbar
Heard of Google yet?

(Hint: It's been incorporated into the Favorites toolbar.)
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

- Bobb - wrote:
> Trying IE8 on test box and notice - no LINKS option in toolbar. I tried
> HELP - nothing.
> I use that a lot - they just dropped it ? - or is there a checkbox somewhere
> to turn it on ?
> Thanks ( without it I'll stay at IE6 )

Re: IE8 - "Links" drop-down that USED to be in Toolbar
Links bar is replaced by Favorites bar in IE8.

What’s New in Internet Explorer 8
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m...09.04.ie8.aspx

IE8 Tour
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx

IE8 Videos
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...er/videos.aspx (Silverlight)
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...os&view=videos
• Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGzlJFx7YaE
• Security Features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMqcEEBogj4
• **Easier Browsing**: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gStCIkPUrhM
• Compatibility View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSs1ulZKgCA
• History of the Internet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsMFyo8DWs4

IE8 Features: Accelerators; Performance; Favorites & History Management;
Instant Search; Web Slices; Automatic Crash Recovery; InPrivate Browsing;
Security; and more. See the 3 tabs (i.e., Faster; Easier; Safer) on this
page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...es/faster.aspx

> Links bar is replaced by Favorites bar in IE8.

I have 50 or so LINKS, so with IE6 I had a LINKS icon on adress bar ( next
to GO) and I could click - scroll down AND use none of screen height.
Favorites bar uses space and shows first 4-5 links like
GOOGLE My Yahoo! Yahoo Mail etc

Re: IE8 - "Links" drop-down that USED to be in Toolbar
Uninstall IE8 and keep using IE6 (or upgrade to IE7).

- Bobb - wrote:
>> Links bar is replaced by Favorites bar in IE8.

> I have 50 or so LINKS, so with IE6 I had a LINKS icon on adress bar ( next
> to GO) and I could click - scroll down AND use none of screen height.
> Favorites bar uses space and shows first 4-5 links like
> GOOGLE My Yahoo! Yahoo Mail etc

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 - "Links" drop-down that USED to be in Toolbar
You can add a folder to the Favorites bar that will hold as many
Favorites as you desire...that's what I do. Nothing has changed, really,
it's just been arranged differently.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

- Bobb - wrote:
>> Links bar is replaced by Favorites bar in IE8.

> I have 50 or so LINKS, so with IE6 I had a LINKS icon on adress bar ( next
> to GO) and I could click - scroll down AND use none of screen height.
> Favorites bar uses space and shows first 4-5 links like
> GOOGLE My Yahoo! Yahoo Mail etc

VanguardLH

Bobb wrote:

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote ...
>>
>> Links bar is replaced by Favorites bar in IE8.

> I have 50 or so LINKS, so with IE6 I had a LINKS icon on adress bar ( next
> to GO) and I could click - scroll down AND use none of screen height.
> Favorites bar uses space and shows first 4-5 links like
> GOOGLE My Yahoo! Yahoo Mail etc

Under IE6/7, the Links toolbar showed shortcuts saved under the Links
subfolder under the Favorites folder. The Links toolbar has been
replaced by the Favorites Bar toolbar. It uses the Favorites Bar
subfolder under the Favorites folder. Whether for the Links or
Favorites Bar toolbars, and if you don't need the extra features of the
Favorites Bar toolbar, then there really was never any need to waste a
row or part of one for either toolbar. In the tabs row is the Favorites
button (if you customize the toolbars to just show icons [no text] then
all you see is the button). When you click on the star button, the
Favorites pane drops down (you can pin it if you want it always there).
The Links and Favorites Bar subfolders were always available in the
Favorites pane.

I'd rather not waste [part of] a row on a shortcut toolbar when the
folder that contains those shortcuts is just 1 click away by showing the
Favorites folder (by clicking on the Favorites star-shaped button to
show that pane).

The Links toolbar of which you reminisce didn't show any more shortcuts
than the Favorites Bar toolbar does now. If you want to show more
shortcuts then just show icons (no title text). And the chevron at the
end of either toolbar was how you quickly showed a list of all the
shortcuts (or subfolders with shortcuts). If you want to show the text
titles for each shortcut button, click on the chevron at the right-end
of the Favorites Bar toolbar and select to customize the title widths,
something that was NOT available with the Links toolbar.

So you want to explain now why the Links toolbar was so fantastically
better than the Favorites Bar toolbar? I know of one big difference but
I'll wait to see if you mention it.

Schlomo55 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: IE8 - "Links" drop-down that USED to be in Toolbar
VanguardLH,

I'd like to use the Links link that I placed when in IE 7, that allowed me to "snipe" an eBay item. The link comes from the Esnipe.com site. From its site, you can drag a "Snipe It" button to the Links bar (on IE 7) and use it to automatically copy the eBay item number into Esnipe's auction bid page. IE 8 will not allow me to drag and drop the button anywhere on any IE 8 toolbar. I suspect that the link is really an application (or a shortcut to an application) that does the automatic copy for you. So, a favorite/bookmark to the web site, itself, just doesn't do the trick.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

Last edited by Schlomo55 : 08-18-2009 at 02:31.
Robert Aldwinckle

"Schlomo55" <Schlomo55.3x3bw9@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message news:Schlomo55.3x3bw9@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> VanguardLH,
>
> I'd like to use the Links link that I placed when in IE 7, that allowed
> me to "snipe" an eBay item. The link comes from the Esnipe.com site.
> From its site, you can drag a "Snipe It" button to the Links bar (on IE
> 7) and use it to automatically copy the eBay item number into Esnipe's
> auction bid page.

> I suspect that the link is really an application (or a
> shortcut to an application) that does the automatic copy for you.

Why not do a right-click Properties and avoid speculation? ; )

> So, a
> favorite/bookmark to the web site, itself, just doesn't do the trick.
>
> Any ideas?

Your problem/question is unclear IMO.

FWIW the Desktop shortcut (AKA .lnk file) that I drag-and-dropped
from my Desktop to the IE7 Links bar to prove the redundancy of
the Read Mail button on the Command bar still works in IE8. <eg>
I also have other filetypes there which still work, such as position.url
(a javascript fragment) and Find Favorites.fnd (a saved Search
Companion search), so I don't think you need to feel that you are
restricted to saving Internet shortcuts there, if that is what you are
trying to say.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---