Intelligent home page

Gaurav Pandey

Intelligent home page
Hi

I have been asked to implement an internal intranet website in my
organization.

This intranet has been assigned two IP addresses. One for an internal
network and the the other for the public network.

My requirement is when the user is using his laptop on the internal network,
the default home page should be the internal IP Address.
However when the user wants to access the internet from the external
network, Internet Explorer should open the external IP address.

My limitation is that
1. DNS names cannot be assigned to the IP address
2. No routing/configuration changes can be done on the server. All changes
should be done on the local laptop.

Any suggestions.

Gaurav Pandey

Re: Intelligent home page
I was wondering if we could do something at the laptop level.
Maybe look at the hosts file. Some tweak in Internet Explorer?

Regards
Gaurav Pandey

"Tom Willett" <tom@youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote in message
> Sounds like a question for a server newsgroup.
>
> "Gaurav Pandey" <Gaurav_Dell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> : Hi
> :
> : I have been asked to implement an internal intranet website in my
> : organization.
> :
> : This intranet has been assigned two IP addresses. One for an internal
> : network and the the other for the public network.
> :
> : My requirement is when the user is using his laptop on the internal
> network,
> : the default home page should be the internal IP Address.
> : However when the user wants to access the internet from the external
> : network, Internet Explorer should open the external IP address.
> :
> : My limitation is that
> : 1. DNS names cannot be assigned to the IP address
> : 2. No routing/configuration changes can be done on the server. All
> changes
> : should be done on the local laptop.
> :
> : Any suggestions.
> :
> :
> :

Steve Hebert

Re: Intelligent home page
The correct (and very easy) way to do this, is on the server (and to use
Fully Qualified Domain Names). The only other thing that comes to mind
while living within your conditions is to set both addresses as home pages,
but this would be an awful solution. Presumably, the 'internal' one
wouldn't be accessible when the user is 'outside' and you could probably
block or restrict the external address from the inside network. But, every
time the user opened the browser or hit the home button, they'd have to wait
for one of the home pages to go through the 'not found' conditions and
generate the error.

Slightly better would be to create a script that will change the IE home
page and find a way to run it every time the user changes location (assuming
that it's not being forced to something by group policy)

--
Steve