IE8 won't connect; Firefox&Opera will

ZakkFlash

IE8 won't connect; Firefox&Opera will

Not quite sure when it happened, since I don't use IE often, however,
I've discovered recently that IE8 won't connect to the internet. No
problems whatsoever with Firefox or Opera connecting. Some other
programs I have will also not connect, including Picasa.

I'm running Panda IS 2008. Firewall doesn't seem to be blocking IE.

I've run HijackThis! and can post a log if it will help.

--
ZakkFlash

Re: IE8 won't connect; Firefox&Opera will
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

Did you previous IE version also not connect?

ZakkFlash wrote:
> Not quite sure when it happened, since I don't use IE often, however,
> I've discovered recently that IE8 won't connect to the internet. No
> problems whatsoever with Firefox or Opera connecting. Some other
> programs I have will also not connect, including Picasa.
>
> I'm running Panda IS 2008. Firewall doesn't seem to be blocking IE.
>
> I've run HijackThis! and can post a log if it will help.

Singapore Computer Service

Re: IE8 won't connect; Firefox&Opera will
Hello,

Are you using any proxy server? Go to Tools > Internet Options > Connections
> LAN Settings and uncheck use a proxy server. If it is a company intranet,

then you should ask your IT dept for the proper HTTP proxy server

__
Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service
"ZakkFlash" <zakkadelic@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Not quite sure when it happened, since I don't use IE often, however,
> I've discovered recently that IE8 won't connect to the internet. No
> problems whatsoever with Firefox or Opera connecting. Some other
> programs I have will also not connect, including Picasa.
>
> I'm running Panda IS 2008. Firewall doesn't seem to be blocking IE.
>
> I've run HijackThis! and can post a log if it will help.
>

> --
> ZakkFlash

ZakkFlash

Re: IE8 won't connect; Firefox&Opera will

I'm running:

Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

No proxy is checked in IE Tools. I believe the last version of IE may
have worked but that could have possibly been several versions back as I
don't use it often. It isn't just IE, however; iTunes and Picasa also
will not connect to the internet. To me, it sounds like a firewall issue
or possibly virus-induced but I'm no expert. Panda IS 2008 doesn't seem
to have either program checked in the block list and both iTunes and
Picasa have worked in the past, as well as IE.

Referencing:'PA Bear [MS MVP Wrote:
> ;1557577']Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista
> x64 SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> Did you previous IE version also not connect?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

ZakkFlash
Apesbrain

Re: IE8 won't connect; Firefox&Opera will

There is something to this: I had no such problem with IE7 but since
upgrade to IE8 about half the time I launch the browser it just sits
there saying "Connecting..." on the tab. Typically, if I close it down
and relaunch it then connects. Sometimes, if I have launched IE8 by
clicking on an inline link I get a dialog box popping up after an
unsuccessful attempt to connect that says "Locate link browser..."

I am XP-SP3 Pro. No proxy is selected. Chrome works fine.

--
Apesbrain
Daniel Crichton

Apesbrain wrote on Tue, 7 Jul 2009 20:04:13 +0100:

> There is something to this: I had no such problem with IE7 but since
> upgrade to IE8 about half the time I launch the browser it just sits
> there saying "Connecting..." on the tab. Typically, if I close it down
> and relaunch it then connects. Sometimes, if I have launched IE8 by
> clicking on an inline link I get a dialog box popping up after an
> unsuccessful attempt to connect that says "Locate link browser..."

> I am XP-SP3 Pro. No proxy is selected. Chrome works fine.

What happens if you run in No Add-ons mode? If it works fine, then you have
an incompatible add-on that is causing problems.

Also, do you have Spybot immunization enabled? If so, de-immunize as this
can cause problems due to the huge number of sites added to the Restricted
Sites zone which is handled differently in IE8 that in previous IE versions.

--
Dan

Apesbrain

Re: IE8 won't connect; Firefox&Opera will

I can't find the "Launch IE (No Add-Ons)" icon; I must have deleted it.
Can you tell me the command line?

I did "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" and so far I think it helped.

Thanks for your reply.

--
Apesbrain
Daniel Crichton

Apesbrain wrote on Wed, 8 Jul 2009 14:12:57 +0100:

> I can't find the "Launch IE (No Add-Ons)" icon; I must have deleted it.
> Can you tell me the command line?

iexplore.exe -extoff

> I did "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" and so far I think it helped.

That suggests that you had something incompatible running in IE.

--
Dan