Windows Defender quit working

TL Norman

Windows Defender quit working
I purchased a new Dell computer with Windows Vista and IE7. When I went to
upgrade to IE8, download and install was successful. At least I thought it
was until I rebooted and recieved the message that Defender was no longer
running. And I am unable to get it running.

Please advise.

Re: Windows Defender quit working
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

Is a McAfee application installed or had a McAfee application ever been
installed?

Please post the complete (verbatim) error message.

TL Norman wrote:
> I purchased a new Dell computer with Windows Vista and IE7. When I went
> upgrade to IE8, download and install was successful. At least I thought
> it
> was until I rebooted and recieved the message that Defender was no longer
> running. And I am unable to get it running.
>
> Please advise.

C.D

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2)
> when posting to this newsgroup.
>
> Is a McAfee application installed or had a McAfee application ever been
> installed?
>
> Please post the complete (verbatim) error message.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

add kaspersky to that list.

VanguardLH

TL Norman wrote:

> I purchased a new Dell computer with Windows Vista and IE7. When I went to
> upgrade to IE8, download and install was successful. At least I thought it
> was until I rebooted and recieved the message that Defender was no longer
> running. And I am unable to get it running.

In the Processes tab of Task Manager, are the following processes
listed?

MSASCui.exe
MsMpEng.exe

If they aren't listed, do they show up when you use the Start menu
shortcut to load [the UI for] Windows Defender?

When you go into the Services applet (services.msc), is the Windows
Defender service listed for Automatic startup mode? If it is shown as
Disabled then it will never start. If it is shown as currently Stopped
(and either Automatic or Manual startup mode), what happens when you
manually Start it?

What other security products are installed on your host (anti-virus,
anti-malware, anti-spam, HIPS, firewall, etc)?

Is Windows Defender to which you refer the separate security product by
that name or is it a component of the new (but limited beta) Microsoft
Security Essentials product?

Have you tried downloading the .msi installation file, uninstalled
Windows Defender, and then reinstalled it?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx

In case you cannot find a resolution in this group, there is a group
dedicated to discussing Windows Defender but it is not publicly peered
to other NNTP servers. It is a private NNTP server on which you need to
login. Instructions are here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/support.mspx
Click on "Newsgroups" link.
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.spyware.* (* = general, install, etc).
TL Norman

Re: Windows Defender quit working
Windows Vista Home Premium
SP1

ERROR
Application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba. A problem caused this
program's service to stop. To start the service, restart you computer or
search Help and Support for how to start a service manually.

McAfee is installed but I have disabled everything.

I just did a windows download that was pushed to me from Microsoft and now I
was able to start Defender.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> Is a McAfee application installed or had a McAfee application ever been
> installed?
>
> Please post the complete (verbatim) error message.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> TL Norman wrote:
> > I purchased a new Dell computer with Windows Vista and IE7. When I went
> > upgrade to IE8, download and install was successful. At least I thought
> > it
> > was until I rebooted and recieved the message that Defender was no longer
> > running. And I am unable to get it running.
> >
> > Please advise.

Re: Windows Defender quit working
Error message when you run Windows Defender: "Error Code 0x800106ba":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931849

But don't stop there. Courtesy of MVP Enzo DiRusso, also see...

Windows Defender error when restarting computers with VirusScan 2009
installed:
http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100610

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthr...909#post552909

PS: Microsoft has established separate newsgroups for Windows Defender
support and comments. This is not one of them.

See
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...s/default.mspx

TIP: Access these newsgroups using your default newsreader, not your
browser. See instructions on above page.