ie8 drop down list

BK

ie8 drop down list
Using Windows XP and IE8

I have a user with a laptop who just "upgraded" to IE8 and has run into an
issue I originally experienced myself. When he clicks the down arrow at the
end of the address bar in IE8, he no longer see the drop down list of
previously visited sites. I had experienced the same thing on my desktop
system, but it appears to be functioning correctly now.

My laptop user is current with all updates and has turned on the auto
complete settings for the address bar. Still no drop down list of
previously typed in URLs. How can we activate this feature?

Additional question: Is there a way to uninstall IE8 and reinstall IE7?

VanguardLH

Re: ie8 drop down list
BK wrote:

> Using Windows XP and IE8
>
> I have a user with a laptop who just "upgraded" to IE8 and has run into an
> issue I originally experienced myself. When he clicks the down arrow at the
> end of the address bar in IE8, he no longer see the drop down list of
> previously visited sites. I had experienced the same thing on my desktop
> system, but it appears to be functioning correctly now.
>
> My laptop user is current with all updates and has turned on the auto
> complete settings for the address bar. Still no drop down list of
> previously typed in URLs. How can we activate this feature?

How long is the history option configured to retain that history of
visited sites?

Is the option enabled to delete browsing history on exit from IE8? If
so, is the History item included in the delete settings?

> Additional question: Is there a way to uninstall IE8 and reinstall IE7?

Look in the Add/Remove Programs applet (and showing updates, too) in
Control Panel to see if there was an entry for "Windows Internet
Explorer 8". For Windows XP, you cannot uninstall IE8 if SP-3 was
installed after the install of IE8. You will need to first uninstall
SP-3 before you can uninstall IE8.

Below is an article found by searching Microsoft's huge support
knowledgebase at http://support.microsoft.com/:

How Do I Uninstall or Remove Internet Explorer 8?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
BK

Re: ie8 drop down list
Thanks so much for directing me to the history option. It was, in fact,
set to delete the browsing history on exit. All is well now.

BK wrote:

> Thanks so much for directing me to the history option. It was, in fact,
> set to delete the browsing history on exit. All is well now.

You can leave that option enabled but click on Delete button and
deselect the History items (and then Cancel out of that dialog if you
don't want to do a delete action right now). That way, you still
auto-delete the other items on exit from IE8 except for the deselected
items.
BK

Re: ie8 drop down list
Excellent! Just what I was looking for.