Un able to open attachment in windows mail

Noor Motani

Un able to open attachment in windows mail
When I installed IE8, I was not able to open attachment in windows mail. I
uninstalled IE8 and it works. Please advise me when this problem is fixed so
that I can keep my system up to date.

--
Best Regards
Noor Motani

Re: Un able to open attachment in windows mail
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

Is "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Vista (KB969897)"
listed in Installed Updates?

Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

NB: Uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) should
resolve the behavior but you should not have encountered it in the first
place if IE8 was installed properly.

Noor Motani wrote:
> When I installed IE8, I was not able to open attachment in windows mail. I
> uninstalled IE8 and it works. Please advise me when this problem is fixed
> so
> that I can keep my system up to date.

Noor Motani

Re: Un able to open attachment in windows mail
Sorry, I did not provide the info. I am operating on Vista x32 Home Premium
SP1 and
my antivirus is AVG 8.5. When I try to open any attachment in windows mail,
it says "file not found". I note that it is looking for file in win32
folder. If I save it it does save and open from its program. This does not
happen in IE7. Since I uninstalled IE8, my IE7 started misbehaving too. Now
IE7 can not open link in any program unless I have IE7 running or it is in
cache memory.

I hope the above info will be sufficient.

Best Regards
Noor Motani

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2)
> when posting to this newsgroup.
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> installed IE8?

> Is "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Vista
> (KB969897)" listed in Installed Updates?
>
> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>
> NB: Uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) should
> resolve the behavior but you should not have encountered it in the first
> place if IE8 was installed properly.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Noor Motani wrote:
>> When I installed IE8, I was not able to open attachment in windows mail.
>> uninstalled IE8 and it works. Please advise me when this problem is fixed
>> so
>> that I can keep my system up to date.

Re: Un able to open attachment in windows mail
Please answer all of the questions in my first reply. Thanks.

Noor Motani wrote:
> Sorry, I did not provide the info. I am operating on Vista x32 Home
> Premium
> SP1 and
> my antivirus is AVG 8.5. When I try to open any attachment in windows
> mail,
> it says "file not found". I note that it is looking for file in win32
> folder. If I save it it does save and open from its program. This does not
> happen in IE7. Since I uninstalled IE8, my IE7 started misbehaving too.
> Now
> IE7 can not open link in any program unless I have IE7 running or it is in
> cache memory.
>
> I hope the above info will be sufficient.
>
> Best Regards
> Noor Motani
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2)
>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> installed IE8?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>
>> Is "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Vista
>> (KB969897)" listed in Installed Updates?
>>
>> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
>> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>>
>> NB: Uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) should
>> resolve the behavior but you should not have encountered it in the first
>> place if IE8 was installed properly.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Noor Motani wrote:
>>> When I installed IE8, I was not able to open attachment in windows mail.
>>> uninstalled IE8 and it works. Please advise me when this problem is
>>> fixed
>>> so
>>> that I can keep my system up to date.

Noor Motani

Re: Un able to open attachment in windows mail
Sorry for the inconvenience. Here are the details requested:

Operating system: Windows Vista Home premium 32bit
Antispyware: windows defender - none others
Norton McAfee: None installed presently. Norton came with my system that the
Dell technician removed at my request on first support call only a couple of
days upon receiving my system.
Third party firewall: none. Never installed any. Vista has firewall running.
Cumulative Security update for IE8 for Vista (KB969897): I don't know. Since
I have uninstalled IE8. I checked the updates and KB969897 shows as Windows
up date on June 13, 2009.
Restore point: I am not sure if there is any as I do not remember the date
of first IE8 installation. In fact, I had even installed the beta version
long time ago and ever since this problem has started. I removed the beta
version and then I installed IE8 when full version was available. That did
not work. Again I uninstalled it. Again when a new IE8 was released on June
23, 2009, I installed it and still the same problem. Currently I have IE7
running. I even called Microsoft support for IE8 help which is free until
December, and I was advised to uninstall it which I did by uninstalling
updates in programs and features in control panel.

I hope this answers all your questions. I appreciate your help.

--
Best Regards
Noor Motani

> Please answer all of the questions in my first reply. Thanks.
>
> Noor Motani wrote:
>> Sorry, I did not provide the info. I am operating on Vista x32 Home
>> Premium
>> SP1 and
>> my antivirus is AVG 8.5. When I try to open any attachment in windows
>> mail,
>> it says "file not found". I note that it is looking for file in win32
>> folder. If I save it it does save and open from its program. This does
>> not
>> happen in IE7. Since I uninstalled IE8, my IE7 started misbehaving too.
>> Now
>> IE7 can not open link in any program unless I have IE7 running or it is
>> in
>> cache memory.
>>
>> I hope the above info will be sufficient.
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Noor Motani
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2)
>>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>>> installed IE8?
>>>
>>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
>>>
>>> Is "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Vista
>>> (KB969897)" listed in Installed Updates?
>>>
>>> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
>>> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>>>
>>> NB: Uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) should
>>> resolve the behavior but you should not have encountered it in the first
>>> place if IE8 was installed properly.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Un able to open attachment in windows mail
[Crosspost to Vista Mail newsgroup]

Thread history:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7d79493eac253d

> ...I even called Microsoft support for IE8 help which is free until
> December, and I was advised to uninstall it which I did by uninstalling
> updates in programs and features in control panel.

[obscenities censored]

Now try another install of IE8 exactly per the following:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared
to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select "Run as
Administrator.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes *before* installing IE8. In your case, this
would include removing (not just disabling) AVG's Search-Shield, Active
Surf-Shield & Security toolbar (cf.
http://free.avg.com/faq.num-1247#faq_1247)

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> Disable AVG Resident Shield prior to installing (or uninstalling) IE8.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at
Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.

Noor Motani wrote:
> Sorry for the inconvenience. Here are the details requested:
>
> Operating system: Windows Vista Home premium 32bit
> Antispyware: windows defender - none others
> Norton McAfee: None installed presently. Norton came with my system that
> the
> Dell technician removed at my request on first support call only a couple
> of
> days upon receiving my system.
> Third party firewall: none. Never installed any. Vista has firewall
> running.
> Cumulative Security update for IE8 for Vista (KB969897): I don't know.
> Since
> I have uninstalled IE8. I checked the updates and KB969897 shows as
> Windows
> up date on June 13, 2009.
> Restore point: I am not sure if there is any as I do not remember the date
> of first IE8 installation. In fact, I had even installed the beta version
> long time ago and ever since this problem has started. I removed the beta
> version and then I installed IE8 when full version was available. That did
> not work. Again I uninstalled it. Again when a new IE8 was released on
> June
> 23, 2009, I installed it and still the same problem. Currently I have IE7
> running. I even called Microsoft support for IE8 help which is free until
> December, and I was advised to uninstall it which I did by uninstalling
> updates in programs and features in control panel.
>
> I hope this answers all your questions. I appreciate your help.

>> Please answer all of the questions in my first reply. Thanks.
>>
>> Noor Motani wrote:
>>> Sorry, I did not provide the info. I am operating on Vista x32 Home
>>> Premium
>>> SP1 and
>>> my antivirus is AVG 8.5. When I try to open any attachment in windows
>>> mail,
>>> it says "file not found". I note that it is looking for file in win32
>>> folder. If I save it it does save and open from its program. This does
>>> not
>>> happen in IE7. Since I uninstalled IE8, my IE7 started misbehaving too.
>>> Now
>>> IE7 can not open link in any program unless I have IE7 running or it is
>>> in
>>> cache memory.
>>>
>>> I hope the above info will be sufficient.
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>> Noor Motani

Noor Motani

Re: Un able to open attachment in windows mail
Thank you. I followed this exactly and it worked for the first time. There
after the same. According to error message, It appears to me that AVG is not
competible with IE8. I have attached the error message for your info. In
fact I had sending this email too receiving message that this message is to
large for the server. I hope it makes it this time.
Sorry it could not be sent. So I have removed the error snapshot attachment.

--
Best Regards
Noor Motani
> [...]

>> of first IE8 installation. In fact, I had even installed the beta version
>> long time ago and ever since this problem has started. I removed the beta
>> version and then I installed IE8 when full version was available. That
>> did
>> not work. Again I uninstalled it. Again when a new IE8 was released on
>> June
>> 23, 2009, I installed it and still the same problem. Currently I have IE7
>> running. I even called Microsoft support for IE8 help which is free until
>> December, and I was advised to uninstall it which I did by uninstalling
>> updates in programs and features in control panel.
>>
>> I hope this answers all your questions. I appreciate your help.

>>> Please answer all of the questions in my first reply. Thanks.

Noor Motani

Re: Un able to open attachment in windows mail
Once again I am continuing from my last posting. I tried to exit from AVG
and then try to open attachment without any success. The error message reads
that "PowerPoint can't read c:\windows\system32\filename.pps" details or
error says that make sure your antivirus is up to date. Try disabling your
antivirus and try to open the file.

I wish Microsoft would make life easier with updates rather than all the
discomfort and anxiety it creates. I am wondering how less literate people
than me would be able to co-op with such difficulties.

--
Best Regards
Noor Motani

"Noor Motani" <n.motani@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> [...]

>>> of first IE8 installation. In fact, I had even installed the beta
>>> version
>>> long time ago and ever since this problem has started. I removed the
>>> beta
>>> version and then I installed IE8 when full version was available. That
>>> did
>>> not work. Again I uninstalled it. Again when a new IE8 was released on
>>> June
>>> 23, 2009, I installed it and still the same problem. Currently I have
>>> IE7
>>> running. I even called Microsoft support for IE8 help which is free
>>> until
>>> December, and I was advised to uninstall it which I did by uninstalling
>>> updates in programs and features in control panel.
>>>
>>> I hope this answers all your questions. I appreciate your help.

Re: Un able to open attachment in windows mail
Let's try another tack:

1. Disable AVG Resident Shield then uninstall IE8 again & reboot twice.

2a. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:

If in doubt, download the Norton 2008 version.

2b. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
taskbar).

2c. Right-click on the file you saved in #2a above and select Run as
Administor. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot
again.

3. Now try another reinstall per the instructions in my previous reply.

====================

If still no joy, close Windows Mail, then see if you can open attachments
after opening Windows Mail per the following:

START | ALL PROGRAMS | Right-click on WINDOWS MAIL & select RUN AS
ADMINISTRATOR.
--
~PA Bear

Noor Motani wrote:
> [...]

>>> of first IE8 installation. In fact, I had even installed the beta
>>> version
>>> long time ago and ever since this problem has started. I removed the
>>> beta
>>> version and then I installed IE8 when full version was available. That
>>> did
>>> not work. Again I uninstalled it. Again when a new IE8 was released on
>>> June
>>> 23, 2009, I installed it and still the same problem. Currently I have
>>> IE7
>>> running. I even called Microsoft support for IE8 help which is free
>>> until
>>> December, and I was advised to uninstall it which I did by uninstalling
>>> updates in programs and features in control panel.
>>>
>>> I hope this answers all your questions. I appreciate your help.

Re: Un able to open attachment in windows mail
Please see my last reply, too.

Can you open other attachments, just not PPS attachments?