IE7 - Website preferences, settings and login info not holding

James2008

IE7 - Website preferences, settings and login info not holding
Greetings everyone,

For the past week or so, none of my website preferences, settings, or login
info are holding in IE7. Nothing new has been installed or changed, except
for the regular updates through Windows Update.

I have not changed any settings in my IE for about a year, since everything
had been running perfect till this issue occured. I don't think this is a
security software issue and believe it to be a Windows Update/IE7 update
specific issue, involving access to cookies. I've seen others on this forum
experiencing the same issue on various versions of Windows and different
security software, but with no solution yet.

Specific Issue: When I go to a website, like Bing, Google, various forums,
Windows Live, TVGuide.com, etc., where login info and website preferences can
be set and stored, I'm having to re-input or re-set the info when I re-visit
them after a period of time or a reboot/sleep mode. Prior to this issue,
everything worked perfectly, like we're used to.

Example 1: When I go to Bing, I have to reset my preferences such as "Open
results in new window", turn off filtering, etc. The site then works
properly. But after a certain amount of time, or a reboot/sleep mode, all
settings are lost again.

Example 2: Sites that are logged into, like Windows Live, PayPal, Ebay, and
various non-Microsoft forums, I have "Remember Me" set to remember Username.
After a period of time or a reboot/sleep mode, I have to reinput my username
and reset all preferences.

Example 3: On TVGuide.com, I can set my region, cable system, and other
preferences so that the proper listings show. But after a period of time or a
reboot/sleep mode, all settings are lost and I have to reset them.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this and how to solve it?
Microsoft's KB has nothing on this and even Bing/Google don't show anything.

System:
Vista Ultimate x64, SP1
IE7
All Windows Updates current
Trend Micro Internet Security, latest updates
Singapore Computer Service

Re: IE7 - Website preferences, settings and login info not holding
Hello,

Try the following:
Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Privacy > Settings > Accept All
Cookies (drag slider down) > advanced > uncheck override automatic cookie
handling

__
Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service
"James2008" <James2008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings everyone,
>
> For the past week or so, none of my website preferences, settings, or
> login
> info are holding in IE7. Nothing new has been installed or changed, except
> for the regular updates through Windows Update.
>
> I have not changed any settings in my IE for about a year, since
> everything
> had been running perfect till this issue occured. I don't think this is a
> security software issue and believe it to be a Windows Update/IE7 update
> specific issue, involving access to cookies. I've seen others on this
> forum
> experiencing the same issue on various versions of Windows and different
> security software, but with no solution yet.
>
> Specific Issue: When I go to a website, like Bing, Google, various forums,
> Windows Live, TVGuide.com, etc., where login info and website preferences
> can
> be set and stored, I'm having to re-input or re-set the info when I
> re-visit
> them after a period of time or a reboot/sleep mode. Prior to this issue,
> everything worked perfectly, like we're used to.
>
> Example 1: When I go to Bing, I have to reset my preferences such as "Open
> results in new window", turn off filtering, etc. The site then works
> properly. But after a certain amount of time, or a reboot/sleep mode, all
> settings are lost again.
>
> Example 2: Sites that are logged into, like Windows Live, PayPal, Ebay,
> and
> various non-Microsoft forums, I have "Remember Me" set to remember
> Username.
> After a period of time or a reboot/sleep mode, I have to reinput my
> username
> and reset all preferences.
>
> Example 3: On TVGuide.com, I can set my region, cable system, and other
> preferences so that the proper listings show. But after a period of time
> or a
> reboot/sleep mode, all settings are lost and I have to reset them.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what's causing this and how to solve it?
> Microsoft's KB has nothing on this and even Bing/Google don't show
> anything.
>
> System:
> Vista Ultimate x64, SP1
> IE7
> All Windows Updates current
> Trend Micro Internet Security, latest updates

James2008

Re: IE7 - Website preferences, settings and login info not holding
My security is already set to Medium and I'm leery of setting it lower than
that. It's also a setting that hasn't changed in 2 years. I have a feeling
you're right and that setting security lower may solve the issue, but I don't
agree it's the cause of the problem.

Last night, I deleted everything from under Browsing History (Cookies, Temp
files, form info, history, etc.) in the hopes it might clear out something
that was corrupted, but it didn't change anything.

I also completely deleted my Trend Micro Internet Security software (expired
last night) and installed Microsoft Security Essentials beta. This didn't
solve the issue either, in case it was a Trend Micro security issue.

I've seen another posting about this exact issue in another MS forum, but
the user was using XP SP3 and IE7. I'm using Vista Ultimate x64, SP1 and IE7.
He was using different security software, as well.

From what I can ascertain, this is pointing to an IE7 issue, perhaps caused
by a recent update.

"Singapore Computer Service" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Try the following:
> Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Privacy > Settings > Accept All
> Cookies (drag slider down) > advanced > uncheck override automatic cookie
> handling
>

> __
> http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
> Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service
> "James2008" <James2008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings everyone,
> >
> > For the past week or so, none of my website preferences, settings, or
> > login
> > info are holding in IE7. Nothing new has been installed or changed, except
> > for the regular updates through Windows Update.
> >
> > I have not changed any settings in my IE for about a year, since
> > everything
> > had been running perfect till this issue occured. I don't think this is a
> > security software issue and believe it to be a Windows Update/IE7 update
> > specific issue, involving access to cookies. I've seen others on this
> > forum
> > experiencing the same issue on various versions of Windows and different
> > security software, but with no solution yet.
> >
> > Specific Issue: When I go to a website, like Bing, Google, various forums,
> > Windows Live, TVGuide.com, etc., where login info and website preferences
> > can
> > be set and stored, I'm having to re-input or re-set the info when I
> > re-visit
> > them after a period of time or a reboot/sleep mode. Prior to this issue,
> > everything worked perfectly, like we're used to.
> >
> > Example 1: When I go to Bing, I have to reset my preferences such as "Open
> > results in new window", turn off filtering, etc. The site then works
> > properly. But after a certain amount of time, or a reboot/sleep mode, all
> > settings are lost again.
> >
> > Example 2: Sites that are logged into, like Windows Live, PayPal, Ebay,
> > and
> > various non-Microsoft forums, I have "Remember Me" set to remember
> > Username.
> > After a period of time or a reboot/sleep mode, I have to reinput my
> > username
> > and reset all preferences.
> >
> > Example 3: On TVGuide.com, I can set my region, cable system, and other
> > preferences so that the proper listings show. But after a period of time
> > or a
> > reboot/sleep mode, all settings are lost and I have to reset them.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea what's causing this and how to solve it?
> > Microsoft's KB has nothing on this and even Bing/Google don't show
> > anything.
> >
> > System:
> > Vista Ultimate x64, SP1
> > IE7
> > All Windows Updates current
> > Trend Micro Internet Security, latest updates

Richard

> [...]

> than that. It's also a setting that hasn't changed in 2 years. I have
> a feeling you're right and that setting security lower may solve the
> issue, but I don't agree it's the cause of the problem.
>
> Last night, I deleted everything from under Browsing History (Cookies,
> Temp files, form info, history, etc.) in the hopes it might clear out
> something that was corrupted, but it didn't change anything.
>
> I also completely deleted my Trend Micro Internet Security software
> (expired last night) and installed Microsoft Security Essentials beta.
> This didn't solve the issue either, in case it was a Trend Micro
> security issue.
>
> I've seen another posting about this exact issue in another MS forum, but
> the user was using XP SP3 and IE7. I'm using Vista Ultimate x64, SP1 and
> IE7. He was using different security software, as well.

Hi James,

I've never had a problem caused by an update, but sometimes they "cause"
pre-existing problems to become more obvious. BTW: You can "export" your
needed cookies to a file, and then "import" them back in before connecting.

[begin Cookie Privacy faqtoid:]

You can use the Internet Explorer privacy settings to specify how you want
Internet Explorer to handle cookies from individual Web sites or all Web
sites. You can also customize your privacy settings by importing a file
containing custom privacy settings, or by specifying custom privacy settings
for all Web sites or individual Web sites.
- - -
Medium [Privacy setting]
Cookies from third-party Web sites that do not have a compact policy (a
condensed computer-readable privacy statement) will be blocked
Cookies from third-party Web sites that use your personally identifiable
information without your implicit consent will be blocked
Cookies from first-party Web sites that use your personally identifiable
information without your implicit consent will be deleted from your computer
when you close Internet Explorer
[Note: "deleted" - You can still export and import from a local file.]

- - -
To customize your privacy settings for an individual Web site

1. In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
2. Click the Privacy tab, and then click Sites.
3. In Address of Web site, type the complete address of the Web site for
which you want to specify custom settings. For example,
http://www.microsoft.com
4. To specify that you want Internet Explorer to always allow cookies from
the specified Web site to be saved on your computer, click Allow. To specify
that you want Internet Explorer to never allow cookies from the specified
Web site to be saved on your computer, click Block.

Notes
• You can view a list of Web sites for which you have specified custom
settings in the Managed Web sites list. To remove a Web site from this list,
and delete its custom privacy settings, click Remove. When you remove a Web
site from the Managed Web sites list, your privacy settings for all Web
sites without custom settings will apply to that Web site.
- - -
[:end faqtoid]

FWIW. --Richard