Explorer Shutting down - is Bing the problem?

truearies

Explorer Shutting down - is Bing the problem?
I have IE 7, Windows XP. Explorer shuts down intermittently, with no warning,
no error message, it just quietly quits. I may not even be doing anything at
the time. I can't be sure, but it seems this started to happen after a window
popped up for Bing and I was forced to click on it to install or else I
couldn't get rid of the popup. I don't know where to start to figure this out
- I'm not a tech. Could Bing be causing this? I'm ready to quit IE all
together. Please help. Thank you.
Leonard Grey

Re: Explorer Shutting down - is Bing the problem?
Run Internet Explorer in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

truearies wrote:
> I have IE 7, Windows XP. Explorer shuts down intermittently, with no warning,
> no error message, it just quietly quits. I may not even be doing anything at
> the time. I can't be sure, but it seems this started to happen after a window
> popped up for Bing and I was forced to click on it to install or else I
> couldn't get rid of the popup. I don't know where to start to figure this out
> - I'm not a tech. Could Bing be causing this? I'm ready to quit IE all
> together. Please help. Thank you.

Richard

"truearies" <truearies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have IE 7, Windows XP. Explorer shuts down intermittently, with no
> warning, no error message, it just quietly quits. I may not even be
> doing anything at the time. I can't be sure, but it seems this started
> to happen after a window popped up for Bing and I was forced to click
> on it to install or else I couldn't get rid of the popup. I don't
> know where to start to figure this out - I'm not a tech. Could Bing
> be causing this? I'm ready to quit IE all together.
> Please help. Thank you.

"Forced"? Please explain.

It sounds like a bogus popup tricked you into infesting your computer.

FREE Malwarebytes anti-malware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

You need to make sure you have backup copies of any Valued Data on your
computer. And you really should to do a full malware scan to see if malware
is the source of your problem(s).

FWIW. --Richard

truearies

Re: Explorer Shutting down - is Bing the problem?
I updated and ran Spybot and I had cookies and virtumonde.sdn. Spybot said it
fixed all of it including virtumonde. But when I did a search for virtumonde
it sounds like even though Spybot removes it it comes back again. Is that
true? I didn't make notes of what Spybot said about it at the time. Do I have
to do something else?

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Run Internet Explorer in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
> caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
> how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
> software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> truearies wrote:
> > I have IE 7, Windows XP. Explorer shuts down intermittently, with no warning,
> > no error message, it just quietly quits. I may not even be doing anything at
> > the time. I can't be sure, but it seems this started to happen after a window
> > popped up for Bing and I was forced to click on it to install or else I
> > couldn't get rid of the popup. I don't know where to start to figure this out
> > - I'm not a tech. Could Bing be causing this? I'm ready to quit IE all
> > together. Please help. Thank you.

Leonard Grey

Re: Explorer Shutting down - is Bing the problem?
Show your computer to a professional.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

truearies wrote:
> I updated and ran Spybot and I had cookies and virtumonde.sdn. Spybot said it
> fixed all of it including virtumonde. But when I did a search for virtumonde
> it sounds like even though Spybot removes it it comes back again. Is that
> true? I didn't make notes of what Spybot said about it at the time. Do I have
> to do something else?
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Run Internet Explorer in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>>
>> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
>> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
>> following target path:
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>>
>> If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
>> caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
>> how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.
>>
>> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
>> software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> truearies wrote:
>>> I have IE 7, Windows XP. Explorer shuts down intermittently, with no warning,
>>> no error message, it just quietly quits. I may not even be doing anything at
>>> the time. I can't be sure, but it seems this started to happen after a window
>>> popped up for Bing and I was forced to click on it to install or else I
>>> couldn't get rid of the popup. I don't know where to start to figure this out
>>> - I'm not a tech. Could Bing be causing this? I'm ready to quit IE all
>>> together. Please help. Thank you.

truearies

Re: Explorer Shutting down - is Bing the problem?
Thank you for your replies. I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes last night and
here was the report:
Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 3
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 13

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\dslcnnct (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined
and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\rdfa (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and
deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify
(Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted
successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify
(Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted
successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify
(Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted
successfully.

Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:
c:\program files\BUILD32.DLL (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and
deleted successfully.
c:\program files\FTWSK32.DLL (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and
deleted successfully.
c:\program files\FTWTL32.DLL (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and
deleted successfully.
c:\program files\FTWWRP32.DLL (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and
deleted successfully.
c:\program files\IMAGING.DLL (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and
deleted successfully.
c:\program files\IMGMAN30.DLL (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and
deleted successfully.
c:\program files\IMPLODE.DLL (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and
deleted successfully.
c:\program files\INFOLINK.DLL (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and
deleted successfully.
c:\program files\LEAD50N.DLL (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and
deleted successfully.
c:\program files\PGCNTL32.DLL (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and
deleted successfully.
c:\program files\PW32.DLL (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and deleted
successfully.
c:\program files\WINSOCK.DLL (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and
deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\bawaruno.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted
successfully.

Is there something else I should be doing because of the trojan? So far IE
is not closing, but I'm also still running with no add-ons. How do I check
those out and add them back in? Thanks so much for your help.

"Richard" wrote:

> "truearies" <truearies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have IE 7, Windows XP. Explorer shuts down intermittently, with no
> > warning, no error message, it just quietly quits. I may not even be
> > doing anything at the time. I can't be sure, but it seems this started
> > to happen after a window popped up for Bing and I was forced to click
> > on it to install or else I couldn't get rid of the popup. I don't
> > know where to start to figure this out - I'm not a tech. Could Bing
> > be causing this? I'm ready to quit IE all together.
> > Please help. Thank you.

> "Forced"? Please explain.
>
> It sounds like a bogus popup tricked you into infesting your computer.
>
> FREE Malwarebytes anti-malware
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
>
> You need to make sure you have backup copies of any Valued Data on your
> computer. And you really should to do a full malware scan to see if malware
> is the source of your problem(s).
>
> FWIW. --Richard

truearies

Re: Explorer Shutting down - is Bing the problem?
As a followup to this, I have been running Malwarebytes almost daily and it
shows clean every time. However, IE is still shutting down with no warning.
It doesn't do it quickly; I might be on the computer all day with no problem
until later in the day when it shuts again. I have tried running with no
add-ons, but I have an online business and I need full functionality. I have
tried disabling some add-ons, but I have no clue what most of them are so
it's not a systematic approach, and i'm still experiencing shutdowns.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance.

"truearies" wrote:

> [...]
> > > I have IE 7, Windows XP. Explorer shuts down intermittently, with no
> > > warning, no error message, it just quietly quits. I may not even be
> > > doing anything at the time. I can't be sure, but it seems this started
> > > to happen after a window popped up for Bing and I was forced to click
> > > on it to install or else I couldn't get rid of the popup. I don't
> > > know where to start to figure this out - I'm not a tech. Could Bing
> > > be causing this? I'm ready to quit IE all together.
> > > Please help. Thank you.

> > "Forced"? Please explain.
> >
> > It sounds like a bogus popup tricked you into infesting your computer.
> >
> > FREE Malwarebytes anti-malware
> > http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
> >
> > You need to make sure you have backup copies of any Valued Data on your
> > computer. And you really should to do a full malware scan to see if malware

Robert Aldwinckle

"truearies" <truearies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9024AC90-BBB3-4F62-9548-AA476F969778@microsoft.com...
> As a followup to this, I have been running Malwarebytes almost daily and it
> shows clean every time. However, IE is still shutting down with no warning.
> It doesn't do it quickly; I might be on the computer all day with no problem
> until later in the day when it shuts again. I have tried running with no
> add-ons, but I have an online business and I need full functionality.

> I have
> tried disabling some add-ons, but I have no clue what most of them are so
> it's not a systematic approach,

How about disabling everything, except the ones you *need*? ; }

> and i'm still experiencing shutdowns.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance.

If that works, then, if you want you could, at your convenience,
systematically enable any others that you probably don't need
one at a time, and find out which one(s) cause your problem symptom.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---