How do you turn on SVG images in IE8?

Timothy Casey

How do you turn on SVG images in IE8?
IE8 does not display or even attempt to open SVG (Scalable Vecor Graphics)
files - not in it's default setting, anyway. This is eight year old
technology we are talking about. Have I missed something?

Thanks in Advance...

--
Timothy Casey - Email: 5th-prime-number@timothycasey.info
Software: http://software-1011.com; Scientific IQ Test, Web Menus, Security

C A Upsdell

Re: How do you turn on SVG images in IE8?
Timothy Casey wrote:
> IE8 does not display or even attempt to open SVG (Scalable Vecor
> Graphics) files - not in it's default setting, anyway. This is eight
> year old technology we are talking about. Have I missed something?

I think you need an add-on, e.g. the discontinued one created by Adobe,
at http://www.ieaddons.com/en/details/T...be_SVG_Viewer/
Timothy Casey

"C A Upsdell" <""cupsdell\"@nospam@upsdell.com"> wrote in message
> Timothy Casey wrote:
>> IE8 does not display or even attempt to open SVG (Scalable Vecor
>> Graphics) files - not in it's default setting, anyway. This is eight year
>> old technology we are talking about. Have I missed something?

> I think you need an add-on, e.g. the discontinued one created by Adobe, at
> http://www.ieaddons.com/en/details/T...be_SVG_Viewer/

I thought IE8 supported XML (which necessarily includes XLST & DTD defined
behaviours). SVG is a specific form or use of XML and the DTD that defines
this XMLs behaviour is publicly available at:

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd

Attepmting to open:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bitmap_VS_SVG.svg

with IE8 c/o Windows Vista32 Business SP2, generates the error message:

"Parameter entity must be defined before it is used. Error processing
resource 'http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11..."

Does this mean the World Wide Web Consortium have an error in their Document
Type Definition for SVG?

I might add that the SVG image displays beautifully in Mozilla Firefox,
without any attendant errors. Web Developer 2008 Express reports no errors
in the actual SVG file itself, but does report that the following modules
referenced in the Document Type Definition are denied permission;

"Request for the permission of type
'system.security.permissions.fileiopermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=Neutral, Public Key Token = 'b77a5c561934e089' FAILED"

for:

<!ENTITY % svg-model.mod
PUBLIC "-//W3C//ENTITIES SVG 1.1 Document Model//EN"
"svg11-model.mod" >

and about a dozen others with varying tokens. However, in light of the fact
that WD2008X identifies no other errors and that FireFox has no problems
displaying an SVG file on the same computer, it seems that WebDeveloper 2008
eXpress is just complaining about it's lack of write access to attached
source modules on the w3c server (fair enogh) and this means the error isn't
necessarily in the DTD.

If IE8 bugs out on SVG, then there is a lot of other XML functionality that
will prove unpredictable.
Is it worth reporting this as a bug in Internet Explorer?

--
Timothy Casey - Email: 5th-prime-number@timothycasey.info
Software: http://software-1011.com; Scientific IQ Test, Web Menus, Security
http://web-design-1011.com http://speed-reading-comprehension.com
Science & Geology: http://geologist-1011.com; http://geologist-1011.net

Daniel Crichton

Timothy wrote on Wed, 1 Jul 2009 11:42:00 +1000:

> IE8 does not display or even attempt to open SVG (Scalable Vecor
> Graphics) files - not in it's default setting, anyway. This is eight year
> old technology we are talking about. Have I missed something?

> Thanks in Advance...

IE8 does not support SVG, searching Google you would have found thousands of
references to this. Here's one, for example:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...rnet_explorer/

The message you are seeing is due to IE8 trying to process the SVG file as
XML, without having the SVG specific handlers in place.

While IE8 does support XML, that does not mean it supports all derivatives
of XML.

--
Dan

Timothy Casey

"Daniel Crichton" <msnews@worldofspack.com> wrote in message
> Timothy wrote on Wed, 1 Jul 2009 11:42:00 +1000:
>
>> IE8 does not display or even attempt to open SVG (Scalable Vecor
>> Graphics) files - not in it's default setting, anyway. This is eight year
>> old technology we are talking about. Have I missed something?

>> Thanks in Advance...

> IE8 does not support SVG, searching Google you would have found thousands
> of references to this. Here's one, for example:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...rnet_explorer/
>
> The message you are seeing is due to IE8 trying to process the SVG file as
> XML, without having the SVG specific handlers in place.

I think:

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd

is the SVG specific handler, and it seems to be in place.

> While IE8 does support XML, that does not mean it supports all derivatives
> of XML.

RTF and SGML are derivitives of GML.
HTML is a derivative of SGML.
XHTML is a derivative of HTML but not a derivative of XML, because XHTML is
itself valid XML with valid DTD and XSLT.

SVG, like XHTML, is valid XML; and so any XML UA should be able to display
SVG correctly. In the same way, a web page that passes W3C validation for
HTML 4.01 is HTML - even if the authors are using a narrower interpretation
of HTML, with possibly significant alterations defined in the CSS file(s).
Any HTML capable user agent must, by implication, be able to read the CSS to
determine how the particular site-specific derivative of HTML should be
displayed.

XML is additionally defined in a semantic sense through the DTD and
applicable XSLT files, and this is why an XML UA that cannot comply with any
valid DTD or XSLT is not functioning as documented (IE is not an XML capable
UA).

So I think it might be a bug, which is really bugging me because I really
hope to be able to migrate my web site to an XML variant of my own devising
sometime in my lifetime.

:^)