Re: IE 8 and slow performance

Please reply to and quote my post, not yours. Also please continue the
crosspost to IE General newsgroup. Thank you.

Something is very wrong with your computer. Properly installed, IE8 does
not start in No Add-ons mode by default.

If Google Toolbar is installed, does the behavior persist after you
uninstall it?

Does the behavior persist in your previous IE version after you uninstall
IE8?

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Lagarto_Roca wrote:
> My apologies, you have mistaken my to the point responses as somehow curt,
> that is not, nor would it be my intention regardless of one’s forum
> status.
> I shall elaborate.
>
> 1. The Security Update # KB969897, installed on 6-10-09 after the initial
> IE8 install completed.
> 2. Yes, IE8 has always been starting in No Add-ons mode; this was set as
> ‘No
> Add-Ons’ from initial install date.
> 3. I am familiar with the reset feature in using IE7, even though my
> symptoms differ from what’s described in #KB923737, clearing of the
> settings
> was something done early on. I’ll venture down that path and reset again,
> but this will take 3-5 days to test and report back.
> 4. No, the problem does not occur after booting to safe mode or SM+net.
> It
> also doesn’t occur after booting to normal, as rebooting clears the
> problem.
> Since it takes 3+ days of usage for the various iexplore.exe processes to
> appear (accumulate) and pull things down, I disregarded trying it again
> per
> your instructions, “Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to
> test!”
> 5. No programs were running during install, along with any firewall
> disabled.
> 6. “Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!!” Okay, I’m
> just confirming no intent to proceed there now.
>
> When I discovered this, no IE windows were in use and all temp/browser
> files
> were cleared. I was working with editing HD .ts files, and these video
> programs are usage hogs. In reviewing through the processes running for a
> clue to the slowdown, that’s when I ran across the 13 different ie
> processes
> listed as running, yet none are use.
>
> Please excuse my lengthy post, it is in no way presented as argumentative,
> only trying to be precise and clear any misconceptions. I shall try #’s 3
> and 4 again and report back the results after running a several days,
> unless
> there is any additional input.
>
> Thanks again for your response.

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [...]
> you
> installed IE8?)
>
> 6. I didn't say anything (yet) about using the Restore Point, did I?
>

> Lagarto_Roca wrote:
>> Thanks for your response.
>>
>> 1. XP Home-Current
>> 2. Set as ‘No Add-Ons’ from initial install
>> 3. While similar, those are not the problems I’m having.
>> 4. Not going there…this accumulation can sometimes take days to build up,
>> and that’s with heavy IE usage. Since my last reboot, I’m up from 300MB
>> 1.14GB now, and showing 5 different iexplore.exe listed now, with only
>> two
>> IE windows open containing a total of 3 pages between them.
>> 5. Trend Micro-Current…Trend’s not compatible with other Anti-Spyware
>> apps,
>> none are existent, and no other Mc or Nort has ever been installed.
>> 6. Installing IE8 creates a restore point, no intention of using it here.
>>
>> Everything with IE8 works flawlessly with no other system problems,
>> including heavy use programs running simultaneously. The exception
>> being,
>> slow and crawling drop down menus on page headers.
>>
>> -Thanks for your input.
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> [Crossposted to IE General newsgroup]
>>>
>>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
>>> this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> Please answer the following questions by number:
>>>
>>> 1. Is your computer fully-patched at Windows Update currently?
>>>
>>> 2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>>> start
>>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>>
>>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>>> Add-ons; or
>>>
>>> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>>>
>>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
>>>
>>> 4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>>
>>> 5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>>> installed
>>> IE8?
>>>
>>> 5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>>> machine
>>> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
>>>
>>> 6. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do
>>> you
>>> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

apistomaster

Re: IE 8 and slow performance
On Jun 28, 11:44*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> >> 3. While similar, those are not the problems Im having.
> >> 4. Not going therethis accumulation can sometimes take days to build up,
> >> and thats with heavy IE usage. *Since my last reboot, Im up from 300MB
> >> 1.14GB now, and showing 5 different iexplore.exe listed now, with only
> >> two
> >> IE windows open containing a total of 3 pages between them.
> >> 5. Trend Micro-CurrentTrends not compatible with other Anti-Spyware
> >> apps,
> >> none are existent, and no other Mc or Nort has ever been installed.
> >> 6. Installing IE8 creates a restore point, no intention of using it here.

> >> Everything with IE8 works flawlessly with no other system problems,
> >> including heavy use programs running simultaneously. *The exception
> >> being,
> >> slow and crawling drop down menus on page headers.

I would try Firefox and see if the problem persists. IE seems to be
among the least functional of all the available browsers.