Output IE8 My Favors to IE7

Scott

Output IE8 My Favors to IE7
I tried to output IE8 My Favors to IE8 and got error message saying
different structure. Is there any way to do so?

Thanks,

Scott

Re: Output IE8 My Favors to IE7
Post the complete (verbatim) error message.

Did you Export your Favorites and then receive a "Not a valid bookmark file"
error when you attempted to Import it on another machine?

Scott wrote:
> I tried to output IE8 My Favors to IE8 and got error message saying
> different structure. Is there any way to do so?

VanguardLH

Scott wrote:

> I tried to output IE8 My Favors to IE8 and got error message saying
> different structure. Is there any way to do so?

When exporting the Favorites list, both IE7 and IE8 generate a
bookmark.htm file (XML format inside an HTML document); however, IE7
uses ANSI encoding for the file while IE8 uses UTF-8. That means when
importing, IE7 expects an ANSI text file and complains when it a UTF-8
text file.

To convert so the IE8 exported bookmarks are importable to IE7:
- Export using IE8. This creates UTF-8 file.
- Open the output bookmarks.htm file in Notepad.
- Use File -> Save As menu.
- Change from UTF-8 to ANSI for the file format.
- Import the ANSI text file into IE7.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> 在郵件
news:%23JIXo7A%23JHA.2872@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl *撰寫...
> Post the complete (verbatim) error message.
>
> Did you Export your Favorites and then receive a "Not a valid bookmark
> file" error when you attempted to Import it on another machine?
>
> Scott wrote:
>> I tried to output IE8 My Favors to IE8 and got error message saying
>> different structure. Is there any way to do so?

Yes, that is the error I encounter. Any solution?

Scott

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Scott wrote:

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> 在郵件
> news:%23JIXo7A%23JHA.2872@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl *撰寫...
>> Post the complete (verbatim) error message.
>>
>> Did you Export your Favorites and then receive a "Not a valid bookmark
>> file" error when you attempted to Import it on another machine?
>>
>> Scott wrote:
>>> I tried to output IE8 My Favors to IE8 and got error message saying
>>> different structure. Is there any way to do so?

> Yes, that is the error I encounter. Any solution?

Compliments to my colleague MVP Ramesh:
"Error "Not a valid bookmark file" when Importing IE8 Bookmarks (Favorites)
to IE7 - The Winhelponline Blog":
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/er...orites-to-ie7/

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

Re: Output IE8 My Favors to IE7
See Enzo's reply.

Scott wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> 在郵件
> news:%23JIXo7A%23JHA.2872@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl *撰寫...
>> Post the complete (verbatim) error message.
>>
>> Did you Export your Favorites and then receive a "Not a valid bookmark
>> file" error when you attempted to Import it on another machine?
>>
>> Scott wrote:
>>> I tried to output IE8 My Favors to IE8 and got error message saying
>>> different structure. Is there any way to do so?

> Yes, that is the error I encounter. Any solution?
>
> Scott

missp

On Jun 28, 1:31*pm, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote:
> Scott wrote:
> > I tried to output IE8 My Favors to IE8 and got error message saying
> > different structure. *Is there any way to do so?

> When exporting the Favorites list, both IE7 and IE8 generate a
> bookmark.htm file (XML format inside an HTML document); however, IE7
> uses ANSI encoding for the file while IE8 uses UTF-8. *That means when
> importing, IE7 expects an ANSI text file and complains when it a UTF-8
> text file.
>
> To convert so the IE8 exported bookmarks are importable to IE7:
> - Export using IE8. This creates UTF-8 file.
> - Open the output bookmarks.htm file in Notepad.
> - Use File -> Save As menu.
> - Change from UTF-8 to ANSI for the file format.
> - Import the ANSI text file into IE7.

Oh my goodness!! this worked!!! i dont know how ie 8 ended up on the
laptop, but i was trying to import my favorites to ie7 on desktop and
it would not do it. Thanks sooooooooooooo much.
Gordon

"missp" <misspmorris@gmail.com> wrote in message

> i dont know how ie 8 ended up on the laptop,

Well You, or some other user, agreed to the install.....