Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Game Crazy Site Login Trouble--Visual Basic--C++--Vista 64-bit?

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2009
Susan
 

Posts: n/a
Game Crazy Site Login Trouble--Visual Basic--C++--Vista 64-bit?
The other day I found in Programs and Features a one line entry that read
something like VB or Visual Basic C++. Because I thought it made no sense
having it installed since I don't use Visual Basic or C++ (are they one in
the same), don't remember ever installing it, and am not aware of anything
that needs it, I removed/uninstalled it with no objections from anything.

Then, I attempted to log into a website I haven't been on in a long long
time, GameCrazy.com and discovered that the lonon screen got bogged down and
I could not log in and this happens with IE8 and Firefox both--latest Vista
Ultimate 64-bit installs and all updates current. I removed my security and
that made no difference.

To investigate/resolve the problem further I would love to reinstall what I
removed if I only knew what it was and what exactly to reinstall and where to
get it of course?

On the other hand you may no that this wasn't the problem and know something
else that is causing it. Can anyone help me get this website login problem
resolved?

I'm sending similar email to Game Crazy. If it affected other boards I
frequent I might have been aware sooner. Thank you.
--
~Susan~
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Game Crazy Site Login Trouble--Visual Basic--C++--Vista 64-bit?
[Crosspost to Vista General]

Try a Repair Install (AKA In-Place Upgrade), Susan.

Always remember the First Law of Computing: "If it ain't broke, don't fix
it."
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002


Susan wrote:
> The other day I found in Programs and Features a one line entry that read
> something like VB or Visual Basic C++. Because I thought it made no sense
> having it installed since I don't use Visual Basic or C++ (are they one in
> the same), don't remember ever installing it, and am not aware of anything
> that needs it, I removed/uninstalled it with no objections from anything.
>
> Then, I attempted to log into a website I haven't been on in a long long
> time, GameCrazy.com and discovered that the lonon screen got bogged down
> and
> I could not log in and this happens with IE8 and Firefox both--latest
> Vista
> Ultimate 64-bit installs and all updates current. I removed my security
> and
> that made no difference.
>
> To investigate/resolve the problem further I would love to reinstall what
> I
> removed if I only knew what it was and what exactly to reinstall and where
> to get it of course?
>
> On the other hand you may no that this wasn't the problem and know
> something
> else that is causing it. Can anyone help me get this website login
> problem
> resolved?
>
> I'm sending similar email to Game Crazy. If it affected other boards I
> frequent I might have been aware sooner. Thank you.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2009
Susan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Game Crazy Site Login Trouble--Visual Basic--C++--Vista 64-bit?
Regarding your suggestion to do a Repair Install or In-Place Upgrade... Is
this the only way to get this VB or C++ back in place properly? Is there no
Microsoft download of this that would do the same? Or are you suggesting
that the VB C++ isn't causing the gamecrazy.com login trouble but you don't
know what is and that this Repair Install attempt certainly won't hurt?
I'll make a good image using Acronis but what is the likelihood that after
the Repair Install is done I'll need to install messed up programs.

Maybe it is time to just make a Clean Install? Of course, if I'm really
going to gear up to do that maybe I should be jumping over to Windows 7? Or
maybe better yet I should install Vista 32-bit. I've never been clear on
what if any 64-bit has meant except contributing somehow to various problems
including this one perhaps?

Thank you.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23oMdY%23u9JHA.4560@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> [Crosspost to Vista General]
>
> Try a Repair Install (AKA In-Place Upgrade), Susan.
>
> Always remember the First Law of Computing: "If it ain't broke, don't fix
> it."
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>
>
> Susan wrote:
>> The other day I found in Programs and Features a one line entry that read
>> something like VB or Visual Basic C++. Because I thought it made no
>> sense
>> having it installed since I don't use Visual Basic or C++ (are they one
>> in
>> the same), don't remember ever installing it, and am not aware of
>> anything
>> that needs it, I removed/uninstalled it with no objections from anything.
>>
>> Then, I attempted to log into a website I haven't been on in a long long
>> time, GameCrazy.com and discovered that the lonon screen got bogged down
>> and
>> I could not log in and this happens with IE8 and Firefox both--latest
>> Vista
>> Ultimate 64-bit installs and all updates current. I removed my security
>> and
>> that made no difference.
>>
>> To investigate/resolve the problem further I would love to reinstall what
>> I
>> removed if I only knew what it was and what exactly to reinstall and
>> where
>> to get it of course?
>>
>> On the other hand you may no that this wasn't the problem and know
>> something
>> else that is causing it. Can anyone help me get this website login
>> problem
>> resolved?
>>
>> I'm sending similar email to Game Crazy. If it affected other boards I
>> frequent I might have been aware sooner. Thank you.

>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2009
Jan Poulsen
 

Posts: n/a
Vista Sp2 Release Date
Hi
just wondering when sp2 for vista (danish Language) is released
anyone god some information on the date of release?

thanx

Jan,Denmark


__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4193 (20090626) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

http://www.eset.com



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2009
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Sp2 Release Date
Jan Poulsen wrote:

> Hi
> just wondering when sp2 for vista (danish Language) is released
> anyone god some information on the date of release?
>
> thanx
>
> Jan,Denmark

[...]

"What is the language release schedule plan for SP2?
Microsoft will be releasing five languages (English, German, Spanish,
French, and Japanese) in the first release and an additional 31 languages
together in a second wave sometime after the first release."
Cf.:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...38(WS.10).aspx
"Frequently Asked Questions: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows
Vista Service Pack 2".

Stay tuned: http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/win...a/default.aspx

Hope this helps,

--
Vincenzo Di Russo
Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2009
GTS
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Game Crazy Site Login Trouble--Visual Basic--C++--Vista 64-bit?
The item you uninstalled was probably a VB or VC++ runtime library (an no,
these are not the same). These are usually installed as part of a program
installation for a program that requires it. A repair Windows
reinstallation will not solve your problem because they are not
automatically installed by Vista. Such runtime libraries can generally be
downloaded from Microsoft, but you would need to know which you need.

It would be very unusual for a Web site to use a VB or VC library function
to handle a log on. I doubt that that is the cause of the problem. It is
quite possible, of course, that the library removal will have broken some
program. Pursuing it with gamescrazy is the best course of action.
--

"Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E1D59FBF-7A99-4D62-8860-1383470E0503@microsoft.com...
> The other day I found in Programs and Features a one line entry that read
> something like VB or Visual Basic C++. Because I thought it made no sense
> having it installed since I don't use Visual Basic or C++ (are they one in
> the same), don't remember ever installing it, and am not aware of anything
> that needs it, I removed/uninstalled it with no objections from anything.
>
> Then, I attempted to log into a website I haven't been on in a long long
> time, GameCrazy.com and discovered that the lonon screen got bogged down
> and
> I could not log in and this happens with IE8 and Firefox both--latest
> Vista
> Ultimate 64-bit installs and all updates current. I removed my security
> and
> that made no difference.
>
> To investigate/resolve the problem further I would love to reinstall what
> I
> removed if I only knew what it was and what exactly to reinstall and where
> to
> get it of course?
>
> On the other hand you may no that this wasn't the problem and know
> something
> else that is causing it. Can anyone help me get this website login
> problem
> resolved?
>
> I'm sending similar email to Game Crazy. If it affected other boards I
> frequent I might have been aware sooner. Thank you.
> --
> ~Susan~


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2009
Susan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Game Crazy Site Login Trouble--Visual Basic--C++--Vista 64-bit?
"GTS" <x@y.net> wrote in message
news:%23cy7Ikz9JHA.4204@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> The item you uninstalled was probably a VB or VC++ runtime library (an no,
> these are not the same). These are usually installed as part of a program
> installation for a program that requires it. A repair Windows
> reinstallation will not solve your problem because they are not
> automatically installed by Vista. Such runtime libraries can generally be
> downloaded from Microsoft, but you would need to know which you need.
>
> It would be very unusual for a Web site to use a VB or VC library function
> to handle a log on. I doubt that that is the cause of the problem. It is
> quite possible, of course, that the library removal will have broken some
> program. Pursuing it with gamescrazy is the best course of action.


I've added this reply into the crosspost that includes 'vista.general'. I
would like to think what GTS says makes some sense and that this is some
weird isolated issue with GameCrazy and not caused by removing a runtime
library. As far as what I _did_ remove I recall that it definitely had
"C++" in its name so maybe "VC++" is all I might replace.

I don't believe VC++ was originally installed by Vista 64-bit but I'm not
certain either. And if it wasn't then Repair/Update Windows seems like a
real shot in the dark. No doubt I may some day discover what progrma I have
installed needs this now uninstalled library but there is just as good a
chance that that program was removed and that this library was a remnant
left behind. One thing for certain is the very sloppy and incomplete
uninstalls that the industry still lets everyone get by with. With all the
remnanta left and my poor and sometimes misguided attempts to keep my system
_clean_ I wouldn't be surprised if GameCrazy suggests I do a clean install
before they spend any time troubleshooting their end further. I already
know that they aren't aware of any problems and that of the friends I know
that access GameCrazy, they aren't having this problem and so far this
(GameCrazy site) is the only site I am having any problem with. Everyone
would bet that it was IE8 causing the problem but I installed Firefox and it
behaves similarly to GameCrazy except it at least gives some text clues as
to what it is struggling with. The bottom status line cycles, "Transferring
data from static.gamecrazy.com..." and very briefly "Waiting for
static.gamecrazy.com".

> "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E1D59FBF-7A99-4D62-8860-1383470E0503@microsoft.com...
>> The other day I found in Programs and Features a one line entry that read
>> something like VB or Visual Basic C++. Because I thought it made no
>> sense
>> having it installed since I don't use Visual Basic or C++ (are they one
>> in
>> the same), don't remember ever installing it, and am not aware of
>> anything
>> that needs it, I removed/uninstalled it with no objections from anything.
>>
>> Then, I attempted to log into a website I haven't been on in a long long
>> time, GameCrazy.com and discovered that the lonon screen got bogged down
>> and
>> I could not log in and this happens with IE8 and Firefox both--latest
>> Vista
>> Ultimate 64-bit installs and all updates current. I removed my security
>> and
>> that made no difference.
>>
>> To investigate/resolve the problem further I would love to reinstall what
>> I
>> removed if I only knew what it was and what exactly to reinstall and
>> where to
>> get it of course?
>>
>> On the other hand you may no that this wasn't the problem and know
>> something
>> else that is causing it. Can anyone help me get this website login
>> problem
>> resolved?
>>
>> I'm sending similar email to Game Crazy. If it affected other boards I
>> frequent I might have been aware sooner. Thank you.
>> --
>> ~Susan~


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2009
Susan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Game Crazy Site Login Trouble--Visual Basic--C++--Vista 64-bit?
This turns out to be an issue with my wireless N router or still possible,
an issue with not being able to clear the DNS cache?

"Susan" <UCE@null.invalid> wrote in message
news:erU0qq9AKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> This is still an open issue but I've learned a couple things. First of
> all Game Crazy is showing some signs it is interested in my login problem.
> Secondly, I successfully logged into Game Crazy from a local library
> computer and I've shared this with them. It looks like Game Crazy's login
> pop up page does not contend properly with my computers configuration that
> is common to Firefox and IE 8. Maybe 64-bit Vista? Or some common
> pluggin or apps I removed that nothing took ownership of like whatever
> this Visual Basic and/or C++ stuff was? To date nothing has been fixed.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2009
Susan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Game Crazy Site Login Trouble--Visual Basic--C++--Vista 64-bit?
I'm moving this discussion to 'windows.vista.networking_sharing' in a new
thread there. The application I uninstalled and have now found and
reinstalled was 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64)'. Although
it seems that I should not have removed this file there remains no reason
why it was installed. I will leave it in place now though. It had no
apparent bearing on why I could not complete login to 'gamecrazy.com' or
complete my account access to 'consumerreports.org'. But it is definitely a
Netgear-N router issue now.

"Susan" <UCE@null.invalid> wrote in message
news:Ob8k4nzDKHA.1516@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> This turns out to be an issue with my wireless N router or still possible,
> an issue with not being able to clear the DNS cache?
>
> "Susan" <UCE@null.invalid> wrote in message
> news:erU0qq9AKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> This is still an open issue but I've learned a couple things. First of
>> all Game Crazy is showing some signs it is interested in my login
>> problem. Secondly, I successfully logged into Game Crazy from a local
>> library computer and I've shared this with them. It looks like Game
>> Crazy's login pop up page does not contend properly with my computers
>> configuration that is common to Firefox and IE 8. Maybe 64-bit Vista?
>> Or some common pluggin or apps I removed that nothing took ownership of
>> like whatever this Visual Basic and/or C++ stuff was? To date nothing
>> has been fixed.


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2009
Susan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Game Crazy Site Login Trouble--Visual Basic--C++--Vista 64-bit?
Final new discovery here... In the course of removing Windows Live
Essentials and a couple related programs, none of which I was using, (Maybe
I will when I migrate to Windows 7 next year with a clean install) I
discovered that it does require 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
(x64)'. I left the later in place because who knows what else might use it
too...

"Susan" <UCE@null.invalid> wrote in message
news:%23Cf42VHEKHA.1516@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> I'm moving this discussion to 'windows.vista.networking_sharing' in a new
> thread there. The application I uninstalled and have now found and
> reinstalled was 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64)'.
> Although it seems that I should not have removed this file there remains
> no reason why it was installed. I will leave it in place now though. It
> had no apparent bearing on why I could not complete login to
> 'gamecrazy.com' or complete my account access to 'consumerreports.org'.
> But it is definitely a Netgear-N router issue now.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mar 27, keep getting kicked off pogo game site since i have windows vista home basic windows-vista-update Windows Vista Update 0 03-27-2009 21:20
Visual Basic 4 on Vista wael.reslan microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 05-17-2008 16:25
Err.Number 486, Vista Ultimate, Visual Studio, & Visual Basic Mike microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 01-16-2008 20:06
Running Visual C++ and/or Visual Basic under Vista Home Premium OS DaleB microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 10 11-20-2007 19:45
Visual basic 6 su vista? gianco microsoft.public.it.windows.vista 4 10-24-2007 10:12




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:52.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120