Re: Enable cookies on Vista Business SP1 IE7

Re: Enable cookies on Vista Business SP1 IE7
[Crosspost to IE General]

> ...The only difference I see is that the faulty
> PC is running AVG and the machine that works is running Symantec.

Make certain that time, date, and time *zone* settings are all correct.

Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331

Managing Cookies
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283185
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive...rs.htm#cookies

Tom wrote:
> I posted the following on another news group but did not get any response.
> am hoping someone knows a littel bit about cookies and Vista.
>
> I have a laptop running Vista Business SP1 and IE 7.0. My customer
> supplied
> me with a HTTPS test site where the certificate is not really valid so
> that
> I can test my BHO. I try to login into his site and I immediately get an
> error message on their web page saying cookies are not enabled.
>
> I set the browser wide open to accept any cookie from anybody. It appears
> that other sites are writing cookies without any problems.
>
> I have tested this on another Vista Ultimate machine and I was able to log
> into the site without any issues. In addition I tested this on other XP
> machines with IE 7 & IE 8 without any issues.
>
> The funny thing is that each browser (faulty and non faulty) have the
> exact
> same internet option settings. The only difference I see is that the
> faulty
> PC is running AVG and the machine that works is running Symantec.
>
> Does anybody have any idea of what is going on? Or is there a setpoint
> somewhere that I am not familiar with.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom -

Tom

Re: Enable cookies on Vista Business SP1 IE7
Yes McAfee was originally installed on this computer when it was delivered

> [Crosspost to IE General]
>
>> ...The only difference I see is that the faulty
>> PC is running AVG and the machine that works is running Symantec.

> Make certain that time, date, and time *zone* settings are all correct.
>
> Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331
>
> Managing Cookies
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283185
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive...rs.htm#cookies
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Tom wrote:
>> I posted the following on another news group but did not get any
>> response. I
>> am hoping someone knows a littel bit about cookies and Vista.
>>
>> I have a laptop running Vista Business SP1 and IE 7.0. My customer
>> supplied
>> me with a HTTPS test site where the certificate is not really valid so
>> that
>> I can test my BHO. I try to login into his site and I immediately get an
>> error message on their web page saying cookies are not enabled.
>>
>> I set the browser wide open to accept any cookie from anybody. It appears
>> that other sites are writing cookies without any problems.
>>
>> I have tested this on another Vista Ultimate machine and I was able to
>> log
>> into the site without any issues. In addition I tested this on other XP
>> machines with IE 7 & IE 8 without any issues.
>>
>> The funny thing is that each browser (faulty and non faulty) have the
>> exact
>> same internet option settings. The only difference I see is that the
>> faulty
>> PC is running AVG and the machine that works is running Symantec.
>>
>> Does anybody have any idea of what is going on? Or is there a setpoint
>> somewhere that I am not familiar with.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tom -

Re: Enable cookies on Vista Business SP1 IE7
Ah!

1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool, saving it to your
desktop: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Direct Download link:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

2. Right-click on the saved file (MCPR.EXE) and select "Run as
Administrator" to run the utility. Do not TOUCH the keyboard until the run
has completed, then reboot.
--
~PA Bear

Tom wrote:
> Yes McAfee was originally installed on this computer when it was delivered
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [Crosspost to IE General]
>>
>>> ...The only difference I see is that the faulty
>>> PC is running AVG and the machine that works is running Symantec.

>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>
>> Make certain that time, date, and time *zone* settings are all correct.
>>
>> Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331
>>
>> Managing Cookies
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283185
>> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm
>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive...rs.htm#cookies
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Tom wrote:
>>> I posted the following on another news group but did not get any
>>> response. I
>>> am hoping someone knows a littel bit about cookies and Vista.
>>>
>>> I have a laptop running Vista Business SP1 and IE 7.0. My customer
>>> supplied
>>> me with a HTTPS test site where the certificate is not really valid so
>>> that
>>> I can test my BHO. I try to login into his site and I immediately get an
>>> error message on their web page saying cookies are not enabled.
>>>
>>> I set the browser wide open to accept any cookie from anybody. It
>>> appears
>>> that other sites are writing cookies without any problems.
>>>
>>> I have tested this on another Vista Ultimate machine and I was able to
>>> log
>>> into the site without any issues. In addition I tested this on other XP
>>> machines with IE 7 & IE 8 without any issues.
>>>
>>> The funny thing is that each browser (faulty and non faulty) have the
>>> exact
>>> same internet option settings. The only difference I see is that the
>>> faulty
>>> PC is running AVG and the machine that works is running Symantec.
>>>
>>> Does anybody have any idea of what is going on? Or is there a setpoint
>>> somewhere that I am not familiar with.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tom -

Tom

Re: Enable cookies on Vista Business SP1 IE7
Thanks!

I ran the program and it appeared to remove McAfee.

But I still have same the problem.

I did have Symantec antivirus on the PC at one time. But I have been running
AVG since 8.0

> Ah!
>
> 1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool, saving it to your
> desktop: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
>
> Direct Download link:
> http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe
>
> 2. Right-click on the saved file (MCPR.EXE) and select "Run as
> Administrator" to run the utility. Do not TOUCH the keyboard until the
> run has completed, then reboot.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> Tom wrote:
>> Yes McAfee was originally installed on this computer when it was
>> delivered
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> [Crosspost to IE General]

>>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
>>>
>>> Make certain that time, date, and time *zone* settings are all correct.
>>>
>>> Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331
>>>
>>> Managing Cookies
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283185
>>> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm
>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive...rs.htm#cookies
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Enable cookies on Vista Business SP1 IE7
I assume Symantec AV has been uninstalled.

Well, there's a Norton Removal Tool but it doesn't work if Symantec
(Corporate) AV had been installed. Still, no harm in running it, I suppose:
See

Anything here help? => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331

Tom wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> I ran the program and it appeared to remove McAfee.
>
> But I still have same the problem.
>
> I did have Symantec antivirus on the PC at one time. But I have been
> running
> AVG since 8.0
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Ah!
>>
>> 1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool, saving it to your
>> desktop: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
>>
>> Direct Download link:
>> http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe
>>
>> 2. Right-click on the saved file (MCPR.EXE) and select "Run as
>> Administrator" to run the utility. Do not TOUCH the keyboard until the
>> run has completed, then reboot.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> Tom wrote:
>>> Yes McAfee was originally installed on this computer when it was
>>> delivered

Tom

Re: Enable cookies on Vista Business SP1 IE7
No Dice.

I have already tried setting to allow all cookies and that does not work.

Man this is really frustrating!

>I assume Symantec AV has been uninstalled.
>
> Well, there's a Norton Removal Tool but it doesn't work if Symantec
> (Corporate) AV had been installed. Still, no harm in running it, I
> suppose: See
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>
> Anything here help? => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331
>

> Tom wrote:
>> Thanks!
>>
>> I ran the program and it appeared to remove McAfee.
>>
>> But I still have same the problem.
>>
>> I did have Symantec antivirus on the PC at one time. But I have been
>> running
>> AVG since 8.0
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Ah!
>>>
>>> 1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool, saving it to your
>>> desktop: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
>>>
>>> Direct Download link:
>>> http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe
>>>
>>> 2. Right-click on the saved file (MCPR.EXE) and select "Run as
>>> Administrator" to run the utility. Do not TOUCH the keyboard until the
>>> run has completed, then reboot.
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

Re: Enable cookies on Vista Business SP1 IE7
IE Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: Type in...

[domain] (e.g., abcdcompany.com)

and Allow cookies for the domain.

NB: One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
applications may be disallow such changes from "sticking." These include
anti-spyware applications (e.g., Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, WinPatrol, etc),
anti-virus applications & security suites (Norton, McAfee, ESET/NOD32,
Kasperky, Trend Micro, etc., but NOT AVG Free v8.5), and third-party
firewalls (e.g., Zone Alarm, etc.).

Note that temporarily disabling the application(s) or rebooting into Safe
Mode may not disable the application's system protections.

Tom wrote:
> No Dice.
>
> I have already tried setting to allow all cookies and that does not work.
>
> Man this is really frustrating!

>> I assume Symantec AV has been uninstalled.
>>
>> Well, there's a Norton Removal Tool but it doesn't work if Symantec
>> (Corporate) AV had been installed. Still, no harm in running it, I
>> suppose: See
>> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>>
>> Anything here help? => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331
>>

>> Tom wrote:
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> I ran the program and it appeared to remove McAfee.
>>>
>>> But I still have same the problem.
>>>
>>> I did have Symantec antivirus on the PC at one time. But I have been
>>> running
>>> AVG since 8.0

Tom

Re: Enable cookies on Vista Business SP1 IE7
Yes I already tried adding the site before.

I had something called BigFix that I removed about a year ago. They should
have named it BigPain. I am wondering if that could have done it?

Something must be invalidly set in the registry

> IE Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: Type in...
>
> [domain] (e.g., abcdcompany.com)
>
> and Allow cookies for the domain.
>
> NB: One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
> applications may be disallow such changes from "sticking." These include
> anti-spyware applications (e.g., Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
> SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, WinPatrol, etc),
> anti-virus applications & security suites (Norton, McAfee, ESET/NOD32,
> Kasperky, Trend Micro, etc., but NOT AVG Free v8.5), and third-party
> firewalls (e.g., Zone Alarm, etc.).
>
> Note that temporarily disabling the application(s) or rebooting into Safe
> Mode may not disable the application's system protections.
>

> Tom wrote:
>> No Dice.
>>
>> I have already tried setting to allow all cookies and that does not work.
>>
>> Man this is really frustrating!

>>> I assume Symantec AV has been uninstalled.
>>>
>>> Well, there's a Norton Removal Tool but it doesn't work if Symantec
>>> (Corporate) AV had been installed. Still, no harm in running it, I
>>> suppose: See
>>> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>>>
>>> Anything here help? => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331

Re: Enable cookies on Vista Business SP1 IE7
IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

4. What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed? What
third-party firewall (if any)?

=> Also worth a shot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

=> Any problems running Windows Update manually on the problem machine?
--
~PA Bear

Tom wrote:
> Yes I already tried adding the site before.
>
> I had something called BigFix that I removed about a year ago. They should
> have named it BigPain. I am wondering if that could have done it?
>
> Something must be invalidly set in the registry

>> IE Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: Type in...
>>
>> [domain] (e.g., abcdcompany.com)
>>
>> and Allow cookies for the domain.
>>
>> NB: One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
>> applications may be disallow such changes from "sticking." These include
>> anti-spyware applications (e.g., Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
>> SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, WinPatrol, etc),
>> anti-virus applications & security suites (Norton, McAfee, ESET/NOD32,
>> Kasperky, Trend Micro, etc., but NOT AVG Free v8.5), and third-party
>> firewalls (e.g., Zone Alarm, etc.).
>>
>> Note that temporarily disabling the application(s) or rebooting into Safe
>> Mode may not disable the application's system protections.
>>

>> Tom wrote:
>>> No Dice.
>>>
>>> I have already tried setting to allow all cookies and that does not
>>> work.
>>>
>>> Man this is really frustrating!

ms

Re: Enable cookies on Vista Business SP1 IE7
I think I have stumbled upon what is going on. I think something on that
system is keeping my internet options set at medium-high. I can change
everything in the options and save everything. But the next time I restart
IE it has the security level set at medium-high - BUT all of the options I
checked are still present. It is almost like something has forcing my
security to medium-high.