Links not functioning after upgrade to IE8

Steve C

Links not functioning after upgrade to IE8
After upgrading to IE8, most links do nothing when left-clicked. Forcing them
to operate by right-clicking and selecting Open in New Tab or Open in New
Window works in some cases but not all. PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE. I have tried
several times and each time I have been forced to uninstall back to IE7
(presto, everything works again - with no other changes). I am running
Windows Vista Business (32-bit) on a new Dell PC (Core Duo, 4Gb memory).
I have viewed other 'suggestions' such as trying it without add-ons (not
practical), and that this issue is limited to XP (not)...

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Leonard Grey

Re: Links not functioning after upgrade to IE8
There is no issue to fix. Left-clicking Favorites works fine on my copy
of IE 8.

Practical or not, you need to perform troubleshooting to get at the
cause of your problem, and the first troubleshooting step is typically
to see if running without any add-ons makes things work.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Steve C wrote:
> After upgrading to IE8, most links do nothing when left-clicked. Forcing them
> to operate by right-clicking and selecting Open in New Tab or Open in New
> Window works in some cases but not all. PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE. I have tried
> several times and each time I have been forced to uninstall back to IE7
> (presto, everything works again - with no other changes). I am running
> Windows Vista Business (32-bit) on a new Dell PC (Core Duo, 4Gb memory).
> I have viewed other 'suggestions' such as trying it without add-ons (not
> practical), and that this issue is limited to XP (not)...
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Steve C

Re: Links not functioning after upgrade to IE8
I'm not talking about Favorites but in-page URL links (for instance, this
reply button did not function in IE8 but now I'm back on IE7 it does!).

I have tried troubleshooting - I own a software consulting firm and we are
also Microsoft Partners.

As a 'knowledgable' user, I have a few toolbars and other add-ons that are
necessary for my use - nothing out of the mainstream applications - but too
many to start disabling and fooling around. It has already cost me too much
time.

One of my main issues with IE8 is targeted at the home user - none of the
'improvements' help a business user.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> There is no issue to fix. Left-clicking Favorites works fine on my copy
> of IE 8.
>
> Practical or not, you need to perform troubleshooting to get at the
> cause of your problem, and the first troubleshooting step is typically
> to see if running without any add-ons makes things work.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Steve C wrote:
> > After upgrading to IE8, most links do nothing when left-clicked. Forcing them
> > to operate by right-clicking and selecting Open in New Tab or Open in New
> > Window works in some cases but not all. PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE. I have tried
> > several times and each time I have been forced to uninstall back to IE7
> > (presto, everything works again - with no other changes). I am running
> > Windows Vista Business (32-bit) on a new Dell PC (Core Duo, 4Gb memory).
> > I have viewed other 'suggestions' such as trying it without add-ons (not
> > practical), and that this issue is limited to XP (not)...
> >
> > ----------------
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

Re: Links not functioning after upgrade to IE8
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

Steve C wrote:
> I'm not talking about Favorites but in-page URL links (for instance, this
> reply button did not function in IE8 but now I'm back on IE7 it does!).
>
> I have tried troubleshooting - I own a software consulting firm and we are
> also Microsoft Partners.
>
> As a 'knowledgable' user, I have a few toolbars and other add-ons that are
> necessary for my use - nothing out of the mainstream applications - but
> too
> many to start disabling and fooling around. It has already cost me too
> much
> time.
>
> One of my main issues with IE8 is targeted at the home user - none of the
> 'improvements' help a business user.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>> There is no issue to fix. Left-clicking Favorites works fine on my copy
>> of IE 8.
>>
>> Practical or not, you need to perform troubleshooting to get at the
>> cause of your problem, and the first troubleshooting step is typically
>> to see if running without any add-ons makes things work.
>>
>> Steve C wrote:
>>> After upgrading to IE8, most links do nothing when left-clicked. Forcing
>>> them to operate by right-clicking and selecting Open in New Tab or Open
>>> in New Window works in some cases but not all. PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE. I
>>> have tried several times and each time I have been forced to uninstall
>>> back to IE7 (presto, everything works again - with no other changes). I
>>> am running Windows Vista Business (32-bit) on a new Dell PC (Core Duo,
>>> 4Gb memory).
>>> I have viewed other 'suggestions' such as trying it without add-ons (not
>>> practical), and that this issue is limited to XP (not)...

ie8user

Re: Links not functioning after upgrade to IE8
I am having the same problem. I started IE8 in "no add on mode" as suggested.
I am using Windows vista business SP2
I use spybot search and destroy (disabled for this test)
I run norton antivirus 2009 (disabled for this test)

I could not click on the link that said reply so I had to copy the URL and
open the page in Firefox to reply to this post.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 4. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Steve C wrote:
> > I'm not talking about Favorites but in-page URL links (for instance, this
> > reply button did not function in IE8 but now I'm back on IE7 it does!).
> >
> > I have tried troubleshooting - I own a software consulting firm and we are
> > also Microsoft Partners.
> >
> > As a 'knowledgable' user, I have a few toolbars and other add-ons that are
> > necessary for my use - nothing out of the mainstream applications - but
> > too
> > many to start disabling and fooling around. It has already cost me too
> > much
> > time.
> >
> > One of my main issues with IE8 is targeted at the home user - none of the
> > 'improvements' help a business user.
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >> There is no issue to fix. Left-clicking Favorites works fine on my copy
> >> of IE 8.
> >>
> >> Practical or not, you need to perform troubleshooting to get at the
> >> cause of your problem, and the first troubleshooting step is typically
> >> to see if running without any add-ons makes things work.

ie8user

Re: Links not functioning after upgrade to IE8
On a side note. I noticed there was an error when loading the page (this one)
in IE8. Details are:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0;
SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.5.30729;
OfficeLiveConnector.1.3; OfficeLivePatch.0.0; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)
Timestamp: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:13:01 UTC

Message: Cannot open an anonymous level security token.

Line: 1
Char: 8390
Code: 0
URI: http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/js/dgfunctions.js

I dont think this has any bearing on the issue in hand but thought I would
throw it in here.

Tom

"ie8user" wrote:

> I am having the same problem. I started IE8 in "no add on mode" as suggested.
> I am using Windows vista business SP2
> I use spybot search and destroy (disabled for this test)
> I run norton antivirus 2009 (disabled for this test)
>
> I could not click on the link that said reply so I had to copy the URL and
> open the page in Firefox to reply to this post.
>
> Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Please state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2) when
> > posting to this newsgroup.
> >
> > 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> > IE in No Add-ons mode:
> >
> > => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> > Add-ons; or
> >
> > => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> > Explorer (No add-ons).
> >
> > Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >
> > 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
> >
> > 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> > [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
> >
> > 4. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> > subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
> > applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> > Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> > IE8?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> >

> > Steve C wrote:
> > > I'm not talking about Favorites but in-page URL links (for instance, this
> > > reply button did not function in IE8 but now I'm back on IE7 it does!).
> > >
> > > I have tried troubleshooting - I own a software consulting firm and we are
> > > also Microsoft Partners.
> > >
> > > As a 'knowledgable' user, I have a few toolbars and other add-ons that are
> > > necessary for my use - nothing out of the mainstream applications - but
> > > too
> > > many to start disabling and fooling around. It has already cost me too
> > > much
> > > time.
> > >
> > > One of my main issues with IE8 is targeted at the home user - none of the
> > > 'improvements' help a business user.

Donald Anadell

"ie8user" <ie8user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On a side note. I noticed there was an error when loading the page (this
> one)
> in IE8. Details are:
>
> Webpage error details
>
> User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0;
> Trident/4.0;
> SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.5.30729;
> OfficeLiveConnector.1.3; OfficeLivePatch.0.0; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)
> Timestamp: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:13:01 UTC
>

> Message: Cannot open an anonymous level security token.
>
> Line: 1
> Char: 8390
> Code: 0
> URI: http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/js/dgfunctions.js
>

> I dont think this has any bearing on the issue in hand but thought I would
> throw it in here.

It may very well have a bearing on the Issue in hand.

Is it possible that some third party software you've installed has changed
your Default DCOM settings?

Click Start||Run type DCOMCNFG and click OK.

NOTE: You may get a Windows Firewall warning, if so click the Ask Me Later
button.
If any other warning dialog boxes appear, click NO to continue.

Navigate to: Consol Root||Component Services||Computers||My Computer

Right-click on "My Computer" to bring up the Properties Dialog box for My
Computer.
Click on the "Default Properties" tab.

Look at the following three items:

Is the "Enable Distributed COM on this computer" checkbox checkmarked?
Is the "Default Authentication Level:" set to "Connect"?
Is the "Default Impersonation Level:" set to "Identify"?

If not, you might try changing them accordingly.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...7-40005c7a7744

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Tom
>

> "ie8user" wrote:
>
>> I am having the same problem. I started IE8 in "no add on mode" as
>> suggested.
>> I am using Windows vista business SP2
>> I use spybot search and destroy (disabled for this test)
>> I run norton antivirus 2009 (disabled for this test)
>>
>> I could not click on the link that said reply so I had to copy the URL
>> and
>> open the page in Firefox to reply to this post.
>>
>> Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> > Please state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2)
>> > when
>> > posting to this newsgroup.
>> >
>> > 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> > start
>> > IE in No Add-ons mode:
>> >
>> > => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> > Add-ons; or
>> >
>> > => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>> > Explorer (No add-ons).
>> >
>> > Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
>> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>> >
>> > 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
>> >
>> > 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with
>> > Networking?
>> > [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>> >
>> > 4. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> > subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> > applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if
>> > any)?
>> > Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> > installed
>> > IE8?
>> > --
>> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002

Bob

Re: Links not functioning after upgrade to IE8
Norton is likely causing your problem.
Disabling Norton is not enough. You need to completely uninstall it. If it
doesn't solve the problem, get rid of Norton anyway. Norton is known to
cause many problems which don't always appear immediately.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool.

>I am having the same problem. I started IE8 in "no add on mode" as
>suggested.
> I am using Windows vista business SP2
> I use spybot search and destroy (disabled for this test)
> I run norton antivirus 2009 (disabled for this test)
>
> I could not click on the link that said reply so I had to copy the URL and
> open the page in Firefox to reply to this post.
>
> Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2)
>> when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start
>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>
>> 4. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> installed
>> IE8?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Steve C wrote:
>> > I'm not talking about Favorites but in-page URL links (for instance,
>> > this
>> > reply button did not function in IE8 but now I'm back on IE7 it does!).
>> >
>> > I have tried troubleshooting - I own a software consulting firm and we
>> > are
>> > also Microsoft Partners.
>> >
>> > As a 'knowledgable' user, I have a few toolbars and other add-ons that
>> > are
>> > necessary for my use - nothing out of the mainstream applications - but
>> > too
>> > many to start disabling and fooling around. It has already cost me too
>> > much
>> > time.
>> >
>> > One of my main issues with IE8 is targeted at the home user - none of
>> > the
>> > 'improvements' help a business user.

Lightshaft is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Links not functioning after upgrade to IE8
I do not think so I have the same problem on an XP and Vista Laptop a simple link..... I use 'just snipe' for EBAY sniper used to work on IE7 but not on IE8. The vista is using AVG Avirus The links toolbar dissapeared from the top of the screen. Now seems to be in the bar at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post