Jerky scrolling in IE8

GDW

Jerky scrolling in IE8
Since installing IE8, scrolling is jerky, and objects such as weather radar
images move as if they are leaving a trail(like mouse trails).
I have since loaded all MS updates, including SP3, updated mouse
drivers(trackball optical),video card drivers(ati9550),defragged & optimized
registry,,,,Tried IE8 without addons, read hundreds of posts about the
same,(or simular) problems(but no working solutions),,,and I don't know what
all else. One click on the scroll wheel moves the scroll bar from the top,
almost all the way to the bottom. I have xp pro sp3 fully updated, P4 intel
@2.4ghz,ATI 9550, 80g HDD, 1Meg. ram, all which ran flawlessly prior to IE8.
As I am typing this post, the screen sort of "swims" down as I scroll.
SteveL

RE: Jerky scrolling in IE8
Yes I and many other have noticed the same thing, when trying to reply to
posts on other sites when you start to type it will scroll down to the bottom
and you can not see what you are typing... You scroll up then start to type
again and it scrolls down to the bottom...... Granted I have not use IE8
since this started but since I saw this post I figure it has not been
fixed..... SL

"GDW" wrote:

> Since installing IE8, scrolling is jerky, and objects such as weather radar
> images move as if they are leaving a trail(like mouse trails).
> I have since loaded all MS updates, including SP3, updated mouse
> drivers(trackball optical),video card drivers(ati9550),defragged & optimized
> registry,,,,Tried IE8 without addons, read hundreds of posts about the
> same,(or simular) problems(but no working solutions),,,and I don't know what
> all else. One click on the scroll wheel moves the scroll bar from the top,
> almost all the way to the bottom. I have xp pro sp3 fully updated, P4 intel
> @2.4ghz,ATI 9550, 80g HDD, 1Meg. ram, all which ran flawlessly prior to IE8.
> As I am typing this post, the screen sort of "swims" down as I scroll.

Daniel Crichton

Re: Jerky scrolling in IE8
SteveL, your issue does not sound like the OPs at all. It's likely due to
javascript coding that worked in IE6/7 but no longer does in IE8 due to
changes in the script engine, and the author of that script having not yet
fixed it for IE8. Easiest way to work around it is to click the
Compatibility View button to the right of the address bar which switches IE8
into IE7 mode for that site. In all the cases I've seen this has been to do
with storing the "caret" position of the cursor in the textarea so that
additional functions, such as inserting text, can be done at the last cursor
position rather than the start of the textarea. It's not a universal issue
though - for instance with the forums I use, phpBB and SMF uses code that
has problems in IE8, vBulletin achieves the same functions and it's code
doesn't cause IE8 to jump in the textarea, so it's obviously correctable yet
some application authors either won't, or have implemented other workarounds
(such as phpBB 3.0.5 which simply adds the compatibility meta tag to the
standard templates to force IE8 into IE7 mode rather than actually fixing
the javascript).

Dan

SteveL wrote on Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:26:01 -0700:

> Yes I and many other have noticed the same thing, when trying to reply
> to posts on other sites when you start to type it will scroll down to
> the bottom and you can not see what you are typing... You scroll up
> then start to type again and it scrolls down to the bottom......
> Granted I have not use IE8 since this started but since I saw this
> post I figure it has not been fixed..... SL

> "GDW" wrote:

>> Since installing IE8, scrolling is jerky, and objects such as weather
>> radar images move as if they are leaving a trail(like mouse trails).
>> I have since loaded all MS updates, including SP3, updated mouse
>> drivers(trackball optical),video card drivers(ati9550),defragged &
>> optimized registry,,,,Tried IE8 without addons, read hundreds of
>> posts about the same,(or simular) problems(but no working
>> solutions),,,and I don't know what all else. One click on the scroll
>> wheel moves the scroll bar from the top, almost all the way to the
>> bottom. I have xp pro sp3 fully updated, P4 intel @2.4ghz,ATI 9550,
>> 80g HDD, 1Meg. ram, all which ran flawlessly prior to IE8.
>> As I am typing this post, the screen sort of "swims" down as I
>> scroll.
>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SteveL

Re: Jerky scrolling in IE8
Hey thanks Dan for the info, I have since uninstalled IE8 from my work
computer and am going to wait about a year before I install it again... MS
should have their bugs fixed by then, that is usually the case with all of MS
products..... Thx SL