IE7 reinstall problem after uninstalling IE8

Roger Blair

IE7 reinstall problem after uninstalling IE8
I run Windows XP Home SP3 with Netzero dial-up internet access. I had IE7
running, but thought I'd try IE8--bad move, since it fouled up my dialup. I
managed to get rid of IE8 via "repair reinstallation" (I'd somehow lost the
"spuninst.exe" file), but now I can't seem to get IE7 to reinstall (even with
a clean uninstall--unstalling the 5.8 M IE7 [a bit small, if you ask me] with
Add & Remove Programs, running CCleaner to clear out the registry, deleting
all IE7 files, and rebooting). So far, I've tried removing SP3 (another
"repair reinstallation"), uninstalling my antivirus (AVG Free), stopping all
my startup tasks, running "iereg.bat" and Dial-A-Fix, and doing a so-called
"clean boot;" nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any new ideas that I
haven't seen on the Web?
Thanks.
--
Roger Blair

Re: IE7 reinstall problem after uninstalling IE8
I'm afraid I must be the bearer of bad news, Roger.

> I run Windows XP Home SP3 with Netzero dial-up internet access. I had IE7
> running, but thought I'd try IE8--bad move, since it fouled up my dialup.
> managed to get rid of IE8 via "repair reinstallation"

I'm sorry to tell you that that was yet another VERY bad move. (Why didn't
you just uninstall IE8 via Add/Remove Programs? cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700)

Please read:

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of
Internet Explorer is installed
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

Since you failed to uninstall IE8 *and* IE7 [1] prior to doing the Repair
Install, the only way to (a) make IE fully-functional again and (b)
reinstall IE7 is by (c) backing up your personal data, (d) formatting your
HDD, and then (e) doing a clean install of Windows XP. Please note that
another Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

=================================
[1] Even if you had attempted to uninstall IE7 prior to doing the Repair
Install, you would have had to first uninstall SP3 to be able to do so. See

Roger Blair wrote:
> I run Windows XP Home SP3 with Netzero dial-up internet access. I had
> IE7
> running, but thought I'd try IE8--bad move, since it fouled up my dialup.
> managed to get rid of IE8 via "repair reinstallation" (I'd somehow lost
> the
> "spuninst.exe" file), but now I can't seem to get IE7 to reinstall (even
> with a clean uninstall--unstalling the 5.8 M IE7 [a bit small, if you ask
> me] with Add & Remove Programs, running CCleaner to clear out the
> registry,
> deleting all IE7 files, and rebooting). So far, I've tried removing SP3
> (another "repair reinstallation"), uninstalling my antivirus (AVG Free),
> stopping all my startup tasks, running "iereg.bat" and Dial-A-Fix, and
> doing a so-called "clean boot;" nothing seems to work. Does anyone have
> any
> new ideas that I haven't seen on the Web?
> Thanks.

Roger Blair

Re: IE7 reinstall problem after uninstalling IE8
P A Bear, that was the first thing I tried; unfortunately, A&R could not
find the uninstall file (??uninst.exe), and I was told that I could not
download that file to uninstall IE8. Therefore, I had no other choice (at
least to my limited knowledge) but to repair XZP Home. Also, I'd received
conflicting advice on SP3 in this regard. I did try removing SP3 and
attempting the reinstall, but to no avail.
I have quite a few dowloaded programs on my system, so it will take a bit of
work to reconstruct them, but if I must, ...
Thanks for your prescription--I'll let you know how it goes.
--
Roger Blair

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > the
> > "spuninst.exe" file), but now I can't seem to get IE7 to reinstall (even
> > with a clean uninstall--unstalling the 5.8 M IE7 [a bit small, if you ask
> > me] with Add & Remove Programs, running CCleaner to clear out the
> > registry,
> > deleting all IE7 files, and rebooting). So far, I've tried removing SP3
> > (another "repair reinstallation"), uninstalling my antivirus (AVG Free),
> > stopping all my startup tasks, running "iereg.bat" and Dial-A-Fix, and
> > doing a so-called "clean boot;" nothing seems to work. Does anyone have
> > any
> > new ideas that I haven't seen on the Web?
> > Thanks.

Re: IE7 reinstall problem after uninstalling IE8
> ...unfortunately, A&R could not
> find the uninstall file (??uninst.exe), and I was told that I could not

Do you use a Registry cleaner (e.g., RegCure; Registry Mechanic; CClean) and
did you run it after installing IE8 and/or IE7?

[If you think your Registry needs to be "cleaned" or "repaired," read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.]

If you installed IE7, then SP3, and then IE8, you would not have been able
to uninstall IE7 without having first uninstalled IE8 and SP3 (in that
order).

If you installed IE7, IE8, and then SP3, you would not have been able to
uninstall IE8 and then IE7 (in that order) without first uninstalling SP3.

(About) IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
[posted on 05 May-08 but updated sometime after 19 Mar-09]