revert to Window7

bighes

revert to Window7
How do I uninstall Windows8 and ensure that I end up with Windows7?
thanks
Leonard Grey

Re: revert to Window7
Could you be referring to Internet Explorer 8 and Internet Explorer 7?

Open a search engine, like Google, and type this (or copy and paste)
into the search box:

how do I remove Internet Explorer 8
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

bighes wrote:
> How do I uninstall Windows8 and ensure that I end up with Windows7?
> thanks

Bruce Hagen

Re: revert to Window7
Internet Explorer, per chance?

How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"bighes" <bighes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I uninstall Windows8 and ensure that I end up with Windows7?
> thanks

TaurArian

Re: revert to Window7
I assume you mean Internet Explorer -

How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"bighes" <bighes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I uninstall Windows8 and ensure that I end up with Windows7?
> thanks

Re: revert to Window7
How to uninstall or remove (Windows) Internet Explorer 8

bighes wrote:
> How do I uninstall Windows8 and ensure that I end up with Windows7?
> thanks

Stewart Berman

Re: revert to Window7
I followed the instructions and then let the system restart.

When I tried to use IE7 I got the Customize Your Settings screen. No matter whether I select Keep
my current default provider or Let me select from a list of other search providers when I press the
Apply Settings button an error message appears saying: Settings were not able to be saved
successfully.

When I close and restart IE 7 I get the same customization page instead of my home page. How do I
get past that?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>How to uninstall or remove (Windows) Internet Explorer 8
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>
>bighes wrote:
>> How do I uninstall Windows8 and ensure that I end up with Windows7?
>> thanks

Re: revert to Window7
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems,
Stewart. State your current IE version and full Windows version (e.g.,
WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) in your first post.

Stewart Berman wrote:
> I followed the instructions and then let the system restart.
>
> When I tried to use IE7 I got the Customize Your Settings screen. No
> matter whether I select Keep my current default provider or Let me select
> from a list of other search providers when I press the Apply Settings
> button an error message appears saying: Settings were not able to be saved
> successfully.
>
> When I close and restart IE 7 I get the same customization page instead of
> my home page. How do I get past that?

<SNIP POSTS IN ORIGINAL, HIJACKED THREAD>

Stewart Berman

Re: revert to Window7
The thread appears to be about reverting from IE8 to IE7. The question I asked had to do with the
method you recommended. I am not sure how a new thread would be clearer.

In any event my specific problem is apparently well known and Microsoft provides an .msi file to fix
the problem but without explaining what causes it. As near as I can tell, the IE8 uninstall process
does not revert the registry to the structure IE7 expects. I will start another thread for another
problem associated with IE8 to IE7 reversion.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems,
>Stewart. State your current IE version and full Windows version (e.g.,
>WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) in your first post.

Re: revert to Window7
Installed and uninstalled properly, your Registry before installing IE8 and
after uninstalling it should be identical. I look forward to your new
thread.

Stewart Berman wrote:
> The thread appears to be about reverting from IE8 to IE7. The question I
> asked had to do with the method you recommended. I am not sure how a new
> thread would be clearer.
>
> In any event my specific problem is apparently well known and Microsoft
> provides an .msi file to fix the problem but without explaining what
> causes
> it. As near as I can tell, the IE8 uninstall process does not revert the
> registry to the structure IE7 expects. I will start another thread for
> another problem associated with IE8 to IE7 reversion.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific
>> problems,
>> Stewart. State your current IE version and full Windows version (e.g.,
>> WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) in your first post.

Stewart Berman

Re: revert to Window7
The Microsoft fix is:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"RunOnceHasShown"=dword:00000001
"RunOnceComplete"=dword:00000001

The IE8 unistall removes the above entries even though the initialization process was run in the
prior version (IE7). Then IE7 can't complete its initialization process because it already ran.

BTW, I didn't start the new thread because I found out the behavior that I didn't like was expected.