Re: Problem with links and IE8

Ron Sommer

Re: Problem with links and IE8
[cross-posted to IE General]

Please post your WLMail build, so we know for sure that you have the latest
version.
Have you also posted to the IE newsgroup?
Ron Sommer

"TGL" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> 2TallNY;1058561 Wrote:
>> Lately, whenever I have multiple IE8 browser windows open and I click a
>> link
>> in an email being displayed in Windows Live Mail, the link is opened in
>> each
>> open browser window. So I get several pages loading for one click. This
>> is
>> not desirable.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this same problem?

> Yes,I'm having the same problem. It's so annoying! Even when I have 15
> Internet Explorer Windows opened up and I click on a link in one of my
> emails,the link opens up in every single window and it practically
> brings my computer to a halt-almost completely freezes up. Are you still
> having this problem?
>
> Someone help us! BTW,I have Internet Explorer 8 and the newest version
> of Windows Live Mail.
>
> Thanks,
> Tonya
>

> --
> TGL

TGL

Re: Problem with links and IE8
Ron,

I apologize. I'm new to these Newsgroup forums and I took a quick glance at
your post right before I responded. I saw your header,[cross-posted to IE
General] and thought you were referring to me,lol. I feel silly now. I know
now what that means-(that's referring to the fact that you also answer
questions in IE General) and in my last thread I started in Windows Vista
General,titled "What has happened to my task manager?", I made some comments
and expressed my opinion about using Newsgroups in Windows Live Mail and I
also mentioned IE8 and all this together along with your [cross-posted to IE
General] header, I thought you were referring to me as the one who
cross-posted and I was also a little on the defensive after my experience
with my last thread-and I am operating on very little sleep. I'm so sorry.

But,I do need help with the issue of links in emails opening in multiple
internet explorer windows. Please help.

Thanks A lot,
Tonya

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> [cross-posted to IE General]
>
> Please post your WLMail build, so we know for sure that you have the latest
> version.
> Have you also posted to the IE newsgroup?
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "TGL" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
> >
> > 2TallNY;1058561 Wrote:
> >> Lately, whenever I have multiple IE8 browser windows open and I click a
> >> link
> >> in an email being displayed in Windows Live Mail, the link is opened in
> >> each
> >> open browser window. So I get several pages loading for one click. This
> >> is
> >> not desirable.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else seen this same problem?

> > Yes,I'm having the same problem. It's so annoying! Even when I have 15
> > Internet Explorer Windows opened up and I click on a link in one of my
> > emails,the link opens up in every single window and it practically
> > brings my computer to a halt-almost completely freezes up. Are you still
> > having this problem?
> >
> > Someone help us! BTW,I have Internet Explorer 8 and the newest version
> > of Windows Live Mail.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tonya
> >

> > --
> > TGL

Ron Sommer

Re: Problem with links and IE8
Why did you drop the cross post to
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general?
Because this issue also involves IE8, the question should also be posted
there.
Repeating the question is not going to help get a response.
It may be a while, so you and 2TallNY just have to wait.
--
Ron Sommer

"TGL" <TGL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone. I don't know what happened here. There was a little confusion
> maybe just on my part,I don't know between me and Ron. But,I'm willing to
> start all over.
> Someone,can you please help with the fact that when I click on a link in
> an
> email, the link opens up into all the internet explorer windows that are
> already opened. The links in emails open up into new tabs in every IE8
> window
> that I already have opened-this happens as a result of 1 click to 1 link
> in a
> Windows Live Email and the link will open up into a tab in each Internet
> Explorer 8 window-clear enough? Is there a solution to this? Again my
> Windows
> Live Mail build is: Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8064.0206),and I am using IE8
> that came from Automatic Windows Updates and I have Windows Vista Home
> Premium,32 bit as my operating system.
>
> Thanks Again,
> Tonya
>

> "TGL" wrote:
>

>> Oh well...........I guess I have really messed up this thread. I'm so
>> sorry to the original poster. Maybe we'll eventually get some answers as
>> to why links in emails open up in every opened Internet Explorer Window
>> for at least, some people. Is there anyone else that is experiencing
>> this or has experienced this? And if you have experienced this and found
>> a solution, what's the solution? Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tonya
>>

>> --
>> TGL

TGL

Re: Problem with links and IE8
Ron,

What do you mean by,"Why did you drop the cross post to
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general? I just started my posts in Vista
Forums under Windows Live Mail Newsgroup section and and I got no responses
all day. I thought I did something wrong or something. I didn't think I was
allowed to cross-post, so I kept posting under the Windows Live Mail section.
I know that on Vista Forums, it is against rules to cross-post and I also
couldn't find an Internet Explorer Newsgroup section in Vista Forums.

Thanks,
Tonya

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> Why did you drop the cross post to
> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general?
> Because this issue also involves IE8, the question should also be posted
> there.
> Repeating the question is not going to help get a response.
> It may be a while, so you and 2TallNY just have to wait.
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "TGL" <TGL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone. I don't know what happened here. There was a little confusion
> > maybe just on my part,I don't know between me and Ron. But,I'm willing to
> > start all over.
> > Someone,can you please help with the fact that when I click on a link in
> > an
> > email, the link opens up into all the internet explorer windows that are
> > already opened. The links in emails open up into new tabs in every IE8
> > window
> > that I already have opened-this happens as a result of 1 click to 1 link
> > in a
> > Windows Live Email and the link will open up into a tab in each Internet
> > Explorer 8 window-clear enough? Is there a solution to this? Again my
> > Windows
> > Live Mail build is: Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8064.0206),and I am using IE8
> > that came from Automatic Windows Updates and I have Windows Vista Home
> > Premium,32 bit as my operating system.
> >
> > Thanks Again,
> > Tonya
> >

> > "TGL" wrote:
> >

> >> Oh well...........I guess I have really messed up this thread. I'm so
> >> sorry to the original poster. Maybe we'll eventually get some answers as
> >> to why links in emails open up in every opened Internet Explorer Window
> >> for at least, some people. Is there anyone else that is experiencing
> >> this or has experienced this? And if you have experienced this and found
> >> a solution, what's the solution? Any help would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Tonya
> >>

> >> --
> >> TGL

Ron Sommer

Re: Problem with links and IE8
I don't know why Vista Forums would want to limit posts to one newsgroup.
All day is not that long. Keep waiting.
--

> Ron,
>
> What do you mean by,"Why did you drop the cross post to
> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general? I just started my posts in
> Vista
> Forums under Windows Live Mail Newsgroup section and and I got no
> all day. I thought I did something wrong or something. I didn't think I
> was
> allowed to cross-post, so I kept posting under the Windows Live Mail
> section.
> I know that on Vista Forums, it is against rules to cross-post and I also
> couldn't find an Internet Explorer Newsgroup section in Vista Forums.
>
> Thanks,
> Tonya
>

> "Ron Sommer" wrote:
>
>> Why did you drop the cross post to
>> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general?
>> Because this issue also involves IE8, the question should also be posted
>> there.
>> Repeating the question is not going to help get a response.
>> It may be a while, so you and 2TallNY just have to wait.
>> --
>> Ron Sommer
>>
>> "TGL" <TGL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi everyone. I don't know what happened here. There was a little
>> > confusion
>> > maybe just on my part,I don't know between me and Ron. But,I'm willing
>> > start all over.
>> > Someone,can you please help with the fact that when I click on a link
>> > in
>> > an
>> > email, the link opens up into all the internet explorer windows that
>> > are
>> > already opened. The links in emails open up into new tabs in every IE8
>> > window
>> > that I already have opened-this happens as a result of 1 click to 1
>> > link
>> > in a
>> > Windows Live Email and the link will open up into a tab in each
>> > Internet
>> > Explorer 8 window-clear enough? Is there a solution to this? Again my
>> > Windows
>> > Live Mail build is: Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8064.0206),and I am using
>> > IE8
>> > that came from Automatic Windows Updates and I have Windows Vista Home
>> > Premium,32 bit as my operating system.
>> >
>> > Thanks Again,
>> > Tonya

Ron Sommer

Re: Problem with links and IE8
I have cross-posted this to the IE newsgroup.
"each of them opened up into a single Internet Explorer Window"
Does that mean a new window or a new tab in an existing window?

What happens if you open 6 more IE windows and click on a link in WLMail?

How many tabs do you have open in the IE windows?
--
Ron Sommer

>"TGL" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>
> I'm afraid to uninstall IE8 because I'm afraid I might lose something
> or it will mess something else up. It's only links in Windows Live Mail
> that opens in every internet explorer window. Links in Google sidebar,my
> online ISP email, and every other kind of link does not do this.
> And,you know what? It's actually not doing it right now. I have 4
> internet explorer windows up right now and I clicked on a link in a few
> emails and each of them opened up into a single Internet Explorer
> Window. From time to time,it will work normally like it is right now
> but, then it will go back to opening up into multiple windows.
> I have a feeling it could be some kind of security issue. I do have
> Norton Internet Security. I'm thinking there has got to be some type of
> settings I can also change in Internet Options in IE8, Norton Internet
> Security, or in Windows Live Mail that will fix this. I get the feeling
> that these links get confused as to which window to open up into,
> especially when I have about 10 Internet Explorer windows opened up.
> Does that make sense?
> But, I'll consider uninstalling and reinstalling IE8 (because I do like
> it better than IE7), if there are no other solutions to this. And, I
> want to be sure it won't mess my computer up if I uninstall it. IE8 was
> an Automatic Windows Update for me. So, what would uninstalling it do? I
> want to wait for other answers first before I do that.
>
> Thanks,
> Tonya

snipped

TGL

Re: Problem with links and IE8
Ron,

When it is messed up, a link in one email will open up into a tab into each
internet explorer window that is currently open and when it does this, in
addition to opening into a tab in each currently opened window, it will also
open up into it's own separate window-I forgot to mention this. And, a lot of
times, the link will open up in two tabs in one of the windows in addition to
a single tab in all the other windows. As a result of this, my computer
almost freezes up and I end up with a lot of copies of the same webpage in a
tab in all the windows and also in its own separate window. And it's not site
specific like Winston suggested it might be. I shop off of ebay and I have
subscribed to email alerts about products I'm interested in. Well, right now,
when I click on a link in those emails, the link is opening up into a single
tab in one window, when like yesterday or the day before, it opened up into a
tab in all the windows. So, it is working OK right now. I'm sure it will
probably mess up sometime later today or some other time. I don't know why it
is not doing it right now or today. Yes, it usually happens when I already
have several tabs already opened up in each window. But, I will keep on
opening up more IE windows today and clicking on links in emails and see if
it happens again. And, I'll post back when it does.

BTW, how can I respond in this thread in Newsgroups in Windows Live Mail. I
tried to, but I get a delivery status notification failure from
postmaster@mail.hotmail.com. How do I set up Windows Live Mail so that my
replies will go through? I'm having to respond on the Microsoft website now
and there is no Internet Explorer section on Vista Forums site.

Thanks,
Tonya

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> I have cross-posted this to the IE newsgroup.
> "each of them opened up into a single Internet Explorer Window"
> Does that mean a new window or a new tab in an existing window?
>
> What happens if you open 6 more IE windows and click on a link in WLMail?
>
> How many tabs do you have open in the IE windows?
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> >"TGL" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I'm afraid to uninstall IE8 because I'm afraid I might lose something
> > or it will mess something else up. It's only links in Windows Live Mail
> > that opens in every internet explorer window. Links in Google sidebar,my
> > online ISP email, and every other kind of link does not do this.
> > And,you know what? It's actually not doing it right now. I have 4
> > internet explorer windows up right now and I clicked on a link in a few
> > emails and each of them opened up into a single Internet Explorer
> > Window. From time to time,it will work normally like it is right now
> > but, then it will go back to opening up into multiple windows.
> > I have a feeling it could be some kind of security issue. I do have
> > Norton Internet Security. I'm thinking there has got to be some type of
> > settings I can also change in Internet Options in IE8, Norton Internet
> > Security, or in Windows Live Mail that will fix this. I get the feeling
> > that these links get confused as to which window to open up into,
> > especially when I have about 10 Internet Explorer windows opened up.
> > Does that make sense?
> > But, I'll consider uninstalling and reinstalling IE8 (because I do like
> > it better than IE7), if there are no other solutions to this. And, I
> > want to be sure it won't mess my computer up if I uninstall it. IE8 was
> > an Automatic Windows Update for me. So, what would uninstalling it do? I
> > want to wait for other answers first before I do that.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tonya

> snipped

Re: Problem with links and IE8
<kibbitz>

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

> BTW, how can I respond in this thread in Newsgroups in Windows Live Mail.

Click on the following link to open Windows Live Mail newsgroup in your
default newsreader (i.e., Windows Live Mail):

</kibbitz>

TGL wrote:
> [...]
>>> but, then it will go back to opening up into multiple windows.
>>> I have a feeling it could be some kind of security issue. I do have
>>> Norton Internet Security. I'm thinking there has got to be some type of
>>> settings I can also change in Internet Options in IE8, Norton Internet
>>> Security, or in Windows Live Mail that will fix this. I get the feeling
>>> that these links get confused as to which window to open up into,
>>> especially when I have about 10 Internet Explorer windows opened up.
>>> Does that make sense?
>>> But, I'll consider uninstalling and reinstalling IE8 (because I do like
>>> it better than IE7), if there are no other solutions to this. And, I
>>> want to be sure it won't mess my computer up if I uninstall it. IE8 was
>>> an Automatic Windows Update for me. So, what would uninstalling it do? I
>>> want to wait for other answers first before I do that.

>>> Tonya

>> snipped

Tonya

Re: Problem with links and IE8
I've already responded 2-3 more times to this thread in Vista Forums in the
Windows Live Mail newsgroup section. Aren't my posts suppose to be
automatically carried over to here, in the Internet Explorer General
newsgroup since Ron Sommer said he was cross-posting this thread here in
Internet Explorer General?-I thought that meant any posts posted in this
same thread in Windows Live Mail Newsgroup were automatically carried over
or copied to the same thread here in Internet Explorer General newsgroup.
I'm new to this, so, I don't know how this is suppose to work. Vista Forums
doesn't have Internet Explorer General, so that's why I have been responding
in the Windows Live Mail newsgroup on the Vista Forums website.

Thanks,
Tonya(TGL)

> [...]

>> does.
>>
>> BTW, how can I respond in this thread in Newsgroups in Windows Live Mail.
>> tried to, but I get a delivery status notification failure from
>> postmaster@mail.hotmail.com. How do I set up Windows Live Mail so that my
>> replies will go through? I'm having to respond on the Microsoft website
>> now
>> and there is no Internet Explorer section on Vista Forums site.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tonya
>>

>> "Ron Sommer" wrote:
>>
>>> I have cross-posted this to the IE newsgroup.
>>> "each of them opened up into a single Internet Explorer Window"
>>> Does that mean a new window or a new tab in an existing window?
>>>
>>> What happens if you open 6 more IE windows and click on a link in
>>> WLMail?
>>>
>>> How many tabs do you have open in the IE windows?

Ron Sommer

Re: Problem with links and IE8
Your posts that have the WLMail and IE newsgroup listed post to both.
Posting to one group also post to the other group.
You can answer PA Bear's questions by posting to WLMail group, because both
groups are listed.
Vista Forums is just mirroring what is on the Microsoft groups.

Clicking on this link should open WLMail is the IE newsgroup.
Ron Sommer