IE 8 does not work properly...

Jeffery B Paarsa

IE 8 does not work properly...
Hello,

Please look at the site: http://www.drrahnemun.com/ first with i.e 7 then
with ie 8. In i.e. 8 a lot of links are missing on left side of the home
page also the logo on top of the screen...
--
Jeff B Paarsa
Donald Anadell

Re: IE 8 does not work properly...

"Jeffery B Paarsa" <JeffBPaarsa@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Please look at the site: http://www.drrahnemun.com/ first with i.e 7 then
> with ie 8. In i.e. 8 a lot of links are missing on left side of the home
> page also the logo on top of the screen...

The site uses VML to render the Links menu and the Logo image.

In order to view the site properly you will have to enable "Binary and
script behaviors" in the Internet Zone.

Tools||Internet Options||Security(tab)||Internet(zone)||Custom
Level...||ActiveX controls and plug-ins

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> --
> Jeff B Paarsa

Jeffery B Paarsa

Re: IE 8 does not work properly...
I did and still did not work.... Is this something that has to be done by
everyone? In that case it is too bad... This website has been developed
using Microsoft publisher nothing fancy at all... Just text based and some
links to navigate to different pages...
--
Jeff B Paarsa

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> "Jeffery B Paarsa" <JeffBPaarsa@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > Please look at the site: http://www.drrahnemun.com/ first with i.e 7 then
> > with ie 8. In i.e. 8 a lot of links are missing on left side of the home
> > page also the logo on top of the screen...

> The site uses VML to render the Links menu and the Logo image.
>
> In order to view the site properly you will have to enable "Binary and
> script behaviors" in the Internet Zone.
>
> Tools||Internet Options||Security(tab)||Internet(zone)||Custom
> Level...||ActiveX controls and plug-ins
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

> > --
> > Jeff B Paarsa

Gordon

> I did and still did not work.... Is this something that has to be done by
> everyone? In that case it is too bad... This website has been developed
> using Microsoft publisher nothing fancy at all... Just text based and some
> links to navigate to different pages...

Well it works (just) in Firefox but is HORRIBLY ugly.
I'll re-iterate my statement from another thread about website building -
WHY are you using Publisher to create a website? Publisher was never
designed to be a website creation application.....
There are far better free WYSIWYG website building applications around....

Donald Anadell

Re: IE 8 does not work properly...

"Jeffery B Paarsa" <JeffBPaarsa@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I did and still did not work.... Is this something that has to be done by
> everyone? In that case it is too bad... This website has been developed
> using Microsoft publisher nothing fancy at all... Just text based and some
> links to navigate to different pages...

See the following KB article for known issues with site created with
Publisher 2003||2007 and IE8 along with how to work around those issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969705

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> --
> Jeff B Paarsa
>

> "Donald Anadell" wrote:
>

>> "Jeffery B Paarsa" <JeffBPaarsa@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Please look at the site: http://www.drrahnemun.com/ first with i.e 7
>> > then
>> > with ie 8. In i.e. 8 a lot of links are missing on left side of the
>> > home
>> > page also the logo on top of the screen...

>> The site uses VML to render the Links menu and the Logo image.
>>
>> In order to view the site properly you will have to enable "Binary and
>> script behaviors" in the Internet Zone.
>>
>> Tools||Internet Options||Security(tab)||Internet(zone)||Custom
>> Level...||ActiveX controls and plug-ins
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadell
>>

>> > --
>> > Jeff B Paarsa

Timothy Casey

Re: IE 8 does not work properly...

"Jeffery B Paarsa" <JeffBPaarsa@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Please look at the site: http://www.drrahnemun.com/ first with i.e 7 then
> with ie 8. In i.e. 8 a lot of links are missing on left side of the home
> page also the logo on top of the screen...
> --
> Jeff B Paarsa

"Jeffery B Paarsa" <JeffBPaarsa@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Please look at the site: http://www.drrahnemun.com/ first with i.e 7 then
> with ie 8. In i.e. 8 a lot of links are missing on left side of the home
> page also the logo on top of the screen...
> --
> Jeff B Paarsa

The site doesn't work properly because it is not designed properly.
http://validator.w3.org finds an astonishing total of 399 errors on this
page alone.

All things considered, the page behaves correctly in IE8; other than the
fact that anything displays at all. The person you need to talk to is the
author. With 399 errors scattered across 1356 lines of code, I'm glad that's
not me...!

Good luck!

--
Timothy Casey - Email: 5th-prime-number@timothycasey.info
Software: http://software-1011.com; Scientific IQ Test, Web Menus, Security

Timothy Casey

"Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message

> "Jeffery B Paarsa" <JeffBPaarsa@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Please look at the site: http://www.drrahnemun.com/ first with i.e 7 then
>> with ie 8. In i.e. 8 a lot of links are missing on left side of the home
>> page also the logo on top of the screen...

> The site uses VML to render the Links menu and the Logo image.
>
> In order to view the site properly you will have to enable "Binary and
> script behaviors" in the Internet Zone.
>
> Tools||Internet Options||Security(tab)||Internet(zone)||Custom
> Level...||ActiveX controls and plug-ins

No, don't let ActiveX and "binary behaviours" run on your computer unless
you trust _both_ the web hosting provider _&_ the author with full access to
you computer (including the passwords for your bank accounts). Web
developers _never_ *need* to invoke the same methods as virus loaders,
meagrely to display content and navigation or perform tasks better executed
on the server.

Much active scripting is simply to patch HTML, CSS, and page design errors
the authors are unable to fix properly, either due to incompetence,
charlatanism, or lack of currency in the field.

If you enable ActiveX or binary behaviours, the next drive-by site (more
than 1 in every 1000) with a new variety of malware will "own" your system -
if they don't already. For a real (but disabled) example, see:

http://scripts.web-design-1011.info

Up to date virus scanners won't protect you either, because the average
virus scanner is not up to date until at least 48 hours after the fact. I
have collected over nine hundred viruses that were undetectable by so-called
"up to date" virus scans in their first couple of days in the wild. It was
only stringent Windows Internet Security settings that prevented them from
launching.

Before running any executable (including ActiveX, .NET components, XAML,
JavaScript, VBScript, Installers, Screen Savers, Office "Macros" etc.) on
your system, it is necessary to quarantine the executable so that it remains
unmodifiable for at least 48-96 hours before you download the next
anti-virus update and scan the executable; all prior to allowing the
executable to run, unmodified from the quarantined version, for the first
time on your system - assuming it passes the scan. This does not in any way
guarantee the next version, so the process needs to repeat for each version
until the author has earned your trust.

Trust has to be earned, and can never be owed.

Good luck!

"Timothy Casey" <11@timothycasey.info> wrote in message
news67107CD-EE1D-4196-AC44-33AD7C09C0DC@microsoft.com...

> The site doesn't work properly because it is not designed properly.
> http://validator.w3.org finds an astonishing total of 399 errors on this
> page alone.

Probably because it's been constructed using Publisher......WHY people use
Publisher to construct websites is beyond me....

Timothy Casey

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Timothy Casey" <11@timothycasey.info> wrote in message
> news67107CD-EE1D-4196-AC44-33AD7C09C0DC@microsoft.com...
>>

>> The site doesn't work properly because it is not designed properly.
>> http://validator.w3.org finds an astonishing total of 399 errors on this
>> page alone.

> Probably because it's been constructed using Publisher......WHY people use
> Publisher to construct websites is beyond me....

The same reasons people buy oregano leaf instead of insisting that they pay
only for the weight of the oregano flower mass provided:

1. Ignorance
2. Apathy

Both of which have their own causes...

> "Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jeffery B Paarsa" <JeffBPaarsa@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Please look at the site: http://www.drrahnemun.com/ first with i.e 7
>>> then
>>> with ie 8. In i.e. 8 a lot of links are missing on left side of the
>>> home
>>> page also the logo on top of the screen...

>> The site uses VML to render the Links menu and the Logo image.
>>
>> In order to view the site properly you will have to enable "Binary and
>> script behaviors" in the Internet Zone.
>>
>> Tools||Internet Options||Security(tab)||Internet(zone)||Custom
>> Level...||ActiveX controls and plug-ins

> No, don't let ActiveX and "binary behaviours" run on your computer unless
> you trust _both_ the web hosting provider _&_ the author with full access
> to you computer (including the passwords for your bank accounts). Web
> developers _never_ *need* to invoke the same methods as virus loaders,
> meagrely to display content and navigation or perform tasks better
> executed on the server.

I can appreciate your security concerns, however "Binary and Script
behaviors" has always been Enabled by default in the Internet Zone. It is
only Disabled by default in the Restricted Sites Zone and the Local Machine
Zone.

In order for the behavior VML to render in the Browser it must be enabled in
the Internet Zone.

Another popular site that does not work properly if you disable "Binary and
script behaviors" in the Internet Zone is Google Maps:
http://maps.google.com/

This board would be flooded with complaints about the Google Maps site not
working properly if "Binary and script behaviors " were turned off by