Starting with IE but ending up with... Dell???

Joe McGuire

Starting with IE but ending up with... Dell???
I must be missing some setting in Internet Explorer 8. Often when I type in
a web address that might have osme problem I end up in a Dell webpage with
the URL http://search.myway.com . . . Obviously this is hardly MY way.
It's almost as if my computer got hijacked. If IE can't find the website I
want, isn't it suppopsed to tell me that? Instead I am getting all sorts of
wierd "Sponsored Links" such as "Married But Playing"--which sounds
intriguing but I was lookng for a specific website not a hot date! Is there
some IE setting I need to fix?

Tom Willett

Re: Starting with IE but ending up with... Dell???
Sounds like you need to run some anti-spyware applications, since you appear
to have been hijacked.

"Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote in message
:I must be missing some setting in Internet Explorer 8. Often when I type
in
: a web address that might have osme problem I end up in a Dell webpage with
: the URL http://search.myway.com . . . Obviously this is hardly MY way.
: It's almost as if my computer got hijacked. If IE can't find the website
: want, isn't it suppopsed to tell me that? Instead I am getting all sorts
of
: wierd "Sponsored Links" such as "Married But Playing"--which sounds
: intriguing but I was lookng for a specific website not a hot date! Is
there
: some IE setting I need to fix?
:
:

Re: Starting with IE but ending up with... Dell???
Contact Dell Support or see...

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/17416548.aspx

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...n&toggle=false

Joe McGuire wrote:
> I must be missing some setting in Internet Explorer 8. Often when I type
> in
> a web address that might have osme problem I end up in a Dell webpage with
> the URL http://search.myway.com . . . Obviously this is hardly MY way.
> It's almost as if my computer got hijacked. If IE can't find the website
> want, isn't it suppopsed to tell me that? Instead I am getting all sorts
> of
> wierd "Sponsored Links" such as "Married But Playing"--which sounds
> intriguing but I was lookng for a specific website not a hot date! Is
> there
> some IE setting I need to fix?

Timothy Casey

Re: Starting with IE but ending up with... Dell???
"Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I must be missing some setting in Internet Explorer 8. Often when I type
>in a web address that might have osme problem I end up in a Dell webpage
>with the URL http://search.myway.com . . . Obviously this is hardly MY
>way. It's almost as if my computer got hijacked. If IE can't find the
>website I want, isn't it suppopsed to tell me that? Instead I am getting
>all sorts of wierd "Sponsored Links" such as "Married But Playing"--which
>sounds intriguing but I was lookng for a specific website not a hot date!
>Is there some IE setting I need to fix?

Open Internet Explorer >

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced

Now in Settings, scroll down to "Search from the Address Bar"

Try setting this to
"Do not submit unknown addresses to your auto-search provider"

Good luck

--
Timothy Casey - Email: 5th-prime-number@timothycasey.info
Software: http://software-1011.com; Scientific IQ Test, Web Menus, Security

Joe McGuire

Re: Starting with IE but ending up with... Dell???
Thanks. I was not aware of that stuff but changed this and other setting
sin IE. So far, though, I still get Dell.

"Timothy Casey" <11@timothycasey.info> wrote in message
> "Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I must be missing some setting in Internet Explorer 8. Often when I type
>>in a web address that might have osme problem I end up in a Dell webpage
>>with the URL http://search.myway.com . . . Obviously this is hardly MY
>>way. It's almost as if my computer got hijacked. If IE can't find the
>>website I want, isn't it suppopsed to tell me that? Instead I am getting
>>all sorts of wierd "Sponsored Links" such as "Married But Playing"--which
>>sounds intriguing but I was lookng for a specific website not a hot date!
>>Is there some IE setting I need to fix?

> Open Internet Explorer >
>
> Tools > Internet Options > Advanced
>
> Now in Settings, scroll down to "Search from the Address Bar"
>
> Try setting this to
> "Do not submit unknown addresses to your auto-search provider"
>
> Good luck
>
> --
> Timothy Casey - Email: 5th-prime-number@timothycasey.info
> Software: http://software-1011.com; Scientific IQ Test, Web Menus,
> Security
> http://web-design-1011.com http://speed-reading-comprehension.com
> Science & Geology: http://geologist-1011.com; http://geologist-1011.net

Joe McGuire

Re: Starting with IE but ending up with... Dell???
Thanks! I am removing this Dell Add-on.

> Contact Dell Support or see...
>
> http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/17416548.aspx
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/topi...n&toggle=false
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Joe McGuire wrote:
>> I must be missing some setting in Internet Explorer 8. Often when I type
>> in
>> a web address that might have osme problem I end up in a Dell webpage
>> with
>> the URL http://search.myway.com . . . Obviously this is hardly MY way.
>> It's almost as if my computer got hijacked. If IE can't find the website
>> want, isn't it suppopsed to tell me that? Instead I am getting all sorts
>> of
>> wierd "Sponsored Links" such as "Married But Playing"--which sounds
>> intriguing but I was lookng for a specific website not a hot date! Is
>> there
>> some IE setting I need to fix?

Re: Starting with IE but ending up with... Dell???
YW, Joe, and thanks for your feedback.