Help - missing Internet Explorer address bar

User66

Help - missing Internet Explorer address bar
"Apparently all on a sudden, the Internet Explorer address bar is missing. Now we cannot open any web stations without getting it from the Favorites, consequently, it is difficult to operate IE, since we cannot type any web page names anymore on the toolbar".

This is what my neighbor told me. I also found out that he is still using IE6. We tried to reset the checkmarks on the browser toolbars at the top of the page, and found all toolbars are checked, but the 'Address' bar name shows on the right hand corner, without the address space along the line.

This problem may have been caused by a web virus or something like that. Will it be solved by updating the IE6 browser to IE8 ? Neighbor is still using his slow phone line connections and with a Netscape browser to live by! I am planning to download IE8 at my PC and copy it to a CD to hand it over to him. I am not sure loading IE8 will solve the problem.

Any suggestion, how to cure this problem? Appreciate help.

Peter Foldes

Re: Help - missing Internet Explorer address bar
Did you unlock the Toolbar. Did you then grab it by clicking on it and holding it
down where it says Address and not in the white area of the box. It did not move ?

--
Peter

[...]

Yes, I have tried with unlocking first, but nothing moves.

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uF%23uA3i7JHA.1568@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
| Did you unlock the Toolbar. Did you then grab it by clicking on it and holding it
| down where it says Address and not in the white area of the box. It did not move ?
|
| --
| Peter
|
| Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
| Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
|
| "User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| I have already tried that, but nothing moves. Any other suggestions?
| "dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Unlock the Toolbar (right-click the Toolbar area), and then drag the Address Bar
| to its own row. Lock the Toolbar when everything is where you want it.
|
| "User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| "Apparently all on a sudden, the Internet Explorer address bar is missing. Now
| we cannot open any web stations without getting it from the Favorites, consequently,
| it is difficult to operate IE, since we cannot type any web page names anymore on
| the toolbar".
|
| This is what my neighbor told me. I also found out that he is still using IE6.
| We tried to reset the checkmarks on the browser toolbars at the top of the page, and
| found all toolbars are checked, but the 'Address' bar name shows on the right hand
| corner, without the address space along the line.
|
| This problem may have been caused by a web virus or something like that. Will
| it be solved by updating the IE6 browser to IE8 ? Neighbor is still using his slow
| phone line connections and with a Netscape browser to live by! I am planning to
| download IE8 at my PC and copy it to a CD to hand it over to him. I am not sure
|
| Any suggestion, how to cure this problem? Appreciate help.

dean-dean

Re: Help - missing Internet Explorer address bar
In Regedit, go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer

Is there a DWORD Name called SpecifyDefaultButtons or NoToolbarCustomize, or both?

"User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23re9u0i7JHA.2656@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
[...]

Installing IE8 will not help here. If anything, doing so would only make matters worse & more difficult to resolve.

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) of the machine in question.

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

[...]

All I see is for Explorer, on the right side showing,

(Default}
NoDriveTypeAutoRun

that's all.........

If those changes added, I could remove them. It is frustrating!

"dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:eGRSdMk7JHA.3304@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
[...]

Donald Anadell

[...]

Assuming you are still using IE6, See:

"The Internet Explorer Address bar is missing"
http://support.microsoft.com/%5Ckb%5C842903

Good luck,

Donald Anadell