Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Help - missing Internet Explorer address bar

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

Speedup My PC
Old 06-16-2009
User66

Help - missing Internet Explorer address bar
"Apparently all on a sudden, the Internet Explorer address bar is missing. Now we cannot open any web stations without getting it from the Favorites, consequently, it is difficult to operate IE, since we cannot type any web page names anymore on the toolbar".

This is what my neighbor told me. I also found out that he is still using IE6. We tried to reset the checkmarks on the browser toolbars at the top of the page, and found all toolbars are checked, but the 'Address' bar name shows on the right hand corner, without the address space along the line.

This problem may have been caused by a web virus or something like that. Will it be solved by updating the IE6 browser to IE8 ? Neighbor is still using his slow phone line connections and with a Netscape browser to live by! I am planning to download IE8 at my PC and copy it to a CD to hand it over to him. I am not sure loading IE8 will solve the problem.

Any suggestion, how to cure this problem? Appreciate help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2009
dean-dean

Re: Help - missing Internet Explorer address bar
Unlock the Toolbar (right-click the Toolbar area), and then drag the Address Bar to its own row. Lock the Toolbar when everything is where you want it.

"User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23dAGMMi7JHA.728@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
"Apparently all on a sudden, the Internet Explorer address bar is missing. Now we cannot open any web stations without getting it from the Favorites, consequently, it is difficult to operate IE, since we cannot type any web page names anymore on the toolbar".

This is what my neighbor told me. I also found out that he is still using IE6. We tried to reset the checkmarks on the browser toolbars at the top of the page, and found all toolbars are checked, but the 'Address' bar name shows on the right hand corner, without the address space along the line.

This problem may have been caused by a web virus or something like that. Will it be solved by updating the IE6 browser to IE8 ? Neighbor is still using his slow phone line connections and with a Netscape browser to live by! I am planning to download IE8 at my PC and copy it to a CD to hand it over to him. I am not sure loading IE8 will solve the problem.

Old 06-16-2009
User66

I have already tried that, but nothing moves. Any other suggestions?
"dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:eMsaSqi7JHA.3592@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
Unlock the Toolbar (right-click the Toolbar area), and then drag the Address Bar to its own row. Lock the Toolbar when everything is where you want it.

"User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23dAGMMi7JHA.728@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

Old 06-16-2009
Peter Foldes

Did you unlock the Toolbar. Did you then grab it by clicking on it and holding it
down where it says Address and not in the white area of the box. It did not move ?

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23re9u0i7JHA.2656@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
"dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:eMsaSqi7JHA.3592@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
Unlock the Toolbar (right-click the Toolbar area), and then drag the Address Bar
to its own row. Lock the Toolbar when everything is where you want it.

news:%23dAGMMi7JHA.728@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
"Apparently all on a sudden, the Internet Explorer address bar is missing. Now
we cannot open any web stations without getting it from the Favorites, consequently,
it is difficult to operate IE, since we cannot type any web page names anymore on
the toolbar".

This is what my neighbor told me. I also found out that he is still using IE6.
We tried to reset the checkmarks on the browser toolbars at the top of the page, and
found all toolbars are checked, but the 'Address' bar name shows on the right hand
corner, without the address space along the line.

This problem may have been caused by a web virus or something like that. Will
it be solved by updating the IE6 browser to IE8 ? Neighbor is still using his slow
phone line connections and with a Netscape browser to live by! I am planning to
download IE8 at my PC and copy it to a CD to hand it over to him. I am not sure
loading IE8 will solve the problem.

Old 06-16-2009
User66

Yes, I have tried with unlocking first, but nothing moves.

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uF%23uA3i7JHA.1568@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
| Did you unlock the Toolbar. Did you then grab it by clicking on it and holding it
| down where it says Address and not in the white area of the box. It did not move ?
|
| --
| Peter
|
| Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
| Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
|
| "User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| news:%23re9u0i7JHA.2656@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
| I have already tried that, but nothing moves. Any other suggestions?
| "dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| news:eMsaSqi7JHA.3592@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
| Unlock the Toolbar (right-click the Toolbar area), and then drag the Address Bar
| to its own row. Lock the Toolbar when everything is where you want it.
|
| "User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| news:%23dAGMMi7JHA.728@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
| "Apparently all on a sudden, the Internet Explorer address bar is missing. Now
| we cannot open any web stations without getting it from the Favorites, consequently,
| it is difficult to operate IE, since we cannot type any web page names anymore on
| the toolbar".
|
| This is what my neighbor told me. I also found out that he is still using IE6.
| We tried to reset the checkmarks on the browser toolbars at the top of the page, and
| found all toolbars are checked, but the 'Address' bar name shows on the right hand
| corner, without the address space along the line.
|
| This problem may have been caused by a web virus or something like that. Will
| it be solved by updating the IE6 browser to IE8 ? Neighbor is still using his slow
| phone line connections and with a Netscape browser to live by! I am planning to
| download IE8 at my PC and copy it to a CD to hand it over to him. I am not sure
| loading IE8 will solve the problem.
|
| Any suggestion, how to cure this problem? Appreciate help.
|
|
|
Old 06-16-2009
dean-dean

In Regedit, go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer

Is there a DWORD Name called SpecifyDefaultButtons or NoToolbarCustomize, or both?

"User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23re9u0i7JHA.2656@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
"dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:eMsaSqi7JHA.3592@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

Old 06-16-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Installing IE8 will not help here. If anything, doing so would only make matters worse & more difficult to resolve.

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) of the machine in question.

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002

Old 06-16-2009
User66

All I see is for Explorer, on the right side showing,

(Default}
NoDriveTypeAutoRun

that's all.........

If those changes added, I could remove them. It is frustrating!

"dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:eGRSdMk7JHA.3304@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
In Regedit, go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer

Is there a DWORD Name called SpecifyDefaultButtons or NoToolbarCustomize, or both?

"User66" <user66@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23re9u0i7JHA.2656@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

Old 06-16-2009
Donald Anadell

news:%23dAGMMi7JHA.728@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
"Apparently all on a sudden, the Internet Explorer address bar is missing.
Now we cannot open any web stations without getting it from the Favorites,
consequently, it is difficult to operate IE, since we cannot type any web
page names anymore on the toolbar".

This is what my neighbor told me. I also found out that he is still using
IE6. We tried to reset the checkmarks on the browser toolbars at the top of
the page, and found all toolbars are checked, but the 'Address' bar name
shows on the right hand corner, without the address space along the line.

This problem may have been caused by a web virus or something like that.
Will it be solved by updating the IE6 browser to IE8 ? Neighbor is still
using his slow phone line connections and with a Netscape browser to live
by! I am planning to download IE8 at my PC and copy it to a CD to hand it
over to him. I am not sure loading IE8 will solve the problem.

Assuming you are still using IE6, See:

"The Internet Explorer Address bar is missing"
http://support.microsoft.com/%5Ckb%5C842903

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

Old 06-16-2009
User66

Let me find out all information and get back soon as I can. Thank you for the info.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:u%23xC7Vl7JHA.4376@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
Installing IE8 will not help here. If anything, doing so would only make matters worse & more difficult to resolve.

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) of the machine in question.

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002