IE 8 and GPO Homepage

E-Double

IE 8 and GPO Homepage
I am not sure if this is an IE 8 question or an AD question, but on a new
machine running IE 8 on a domain the new browser will not default to the
homepage setup in AD with a GPO. IE 8 just keeps defaulting to the MSN
homepage and does not recognize the homepage set in the GPO. All of the
other machines on the domain running IE 7 work fine. Did something change
here ? TIA ...
Eric

Re: IE 8 and GPO Homepage
What OS?
Does it have Windows Live installed?

"E-Double" <EDouble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am not sure if this is an IE 8 question or an AD question, but on a new
> machine running IE 8 on a domain the new browser will not default to the
> homepage setup in AD with a GPO. IE 8 just keeps defaulting to the MSN
> homepage and does not recognize the homepage set in the GPO. All of the
> other machines on the domain running IE 7 work fine. Did something change
> here ? TIA ...

E-Double

Re: IE 8 and GPO Homepage

Yes, it likely does (I think that the default install includes that). Will
that change the default homepage/GPO settings or behavior ?

e.

"Eric" wrote:

> What OS?
> Does it have Windows Live installed?
>

> "E-Double" <EDouble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am not sure if this is an IE 8 question or an AD question, but on a new
> > machine running IE 8 on a domain the new browser will not default to the
> > homepage setup in AD with a GPO. IE 8 just keeps defaulting to the MSN
> > homepage and does not recognize the homepage set in the GPO. All of the
> > other machines on the domain running IE 7 work fine. Did something change
> > here ? TIA ...

Eric

Re: IE 8 and GPO Homepage
I just installed Windows Live on my Vista Premium machine this weekend, and
as I recall there was a checkbox which is checked by default which says make
MSN my homepage and don't allow anything else to change it. Of course I
unchecked it but most novice users probably wouldn't.

> Yes, it likely does (I think that the default install includes that).
> Will
> that change the default homepage/GPO settings or behavior ?
>
> e.
>

> "Eric" wrote:
>
>> What OS?
>> Does it have Windows Live installed?
>>

>> "E-Double" <EDouble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am not sure if this is an IE 8 question or an AD question, but on a
>> >new
>> > machine running IE 8 on a domain the new browser will not default to
>> > the
>> > homepage setup in AD with a GPO. IE 8 just keeps defaulting to the MSN
>> > homepage and does not recognize the homepage set in the GPO. All of
>> > the
>> > other machines on the domain running IE 7 work fine. Did something
>> > change
>> > here ? TIA ...

E-Double

Re: IE 8 and GPO Homepage
Perfect, thanks - that would explain it so that's probably what happened.

e.

"Eric" wrote:

> I just installed Windows Live on my Vista Premium machine this weekend, and
> as I recall there was a checkbox which is checked by default which says make
> MSN my homepage and don't allow anything else to change it. Of course I
> unchecked it but most novice users probably wouldn't.
>

> "E-Double" <EDouble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Yes, it likely does (I think that the default install includes that).
> > Will
> > that change the default homepage/GPO settings or behavior ?
> >
> > e.
> >

> > "Eric" wrote:
> >
> >> What OS?
> >> Does it have Windows Live installed?

Gerry

Re: IE 8 and GPO Homepage
Instead of changing to your new Home Page select Blank Page. Restart the
computer and then select your new Home Page. That has worked for me in
the past.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry