IE7 drop down menu crash

bimmerite

IE7 drop down menu crash
On certain pages that contain a single drop down menu, when I click on the
menu IE7 closes. No error messages give & no event viewer events. I'm
running XP SP3 & IE 7.0.5730.11. I just installed the latest updates from
Microsoft Update and the problem persists. I found several posts related to
this back in 2007 and followed the regedit which Adds the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_USE_WINDOWEDS ELECTCONTROL. I'm stumped.
I've seen other machines with a slightly newer version which is IE
7.0.5730.13 but it supposedly had the problem as well and I'm not sure why
Microsoft Update hasn't upgraded my version to it.

Any help is appreciated
Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 drop down menu crash
Can we have an example of a 'certain page'?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

bimmerite wrote:
> On certain pages that contain a single drop down menu, when I click on the
> menu IE7 closes. No error messages give & no event viewer events. I'm
> running XP SP3 & IE 7.0.5730.11. I just installed the latest updates from
> Microsoft Update and the problem persists. I found several posts related to
> this back in 2007 and followed the regedit which Adds the following key:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_USE_WINDOWEDS ELECTCONTROL. I'm stumped.
> I've seen other machines with a slightly newer version which is IE
> 7.0.5730.13 but it supposedly had the problem as well and I'm not sure why
> Microsoft Update hasn't upgraded my version to it.
>
> Any help is appreciated

bimmerite

Re: IE7 drop down menu crash
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I have notification for this enabled but
I didn't get the notification or it got filtered. Here's a website that
talked about this problem back in 2007. Their solution was that Start ++
caused the issue but I don't have that installed and never have. I've tried
the solutions from the Microsoft KB to no avail. Here's the link:
http://blog.jtbworld.com/2007/05/ie7...drop-down.html

Matt

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Can we have an example of a 'certain page'?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> bimmerite wrote:
> > On certain pages that contain a single drop down menu, when I click on the
> > menu IE7 closes. No error messages give & no event viewer events. I'm
> > running XP SP3 & IE 7.0.5730.11. I just installed the latest updates from
> > Microsoft Update and the problem persists. I found several posts related to
> > this back in 2007 and followed the regedit which Adds the following key:
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
> > Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_USE_WINDOWEDS ELECTCONTROL. I'm stumped.
> > I've seen other machines with a slightly newer version which is IE
> > 7.0.5730.13 but it supposedly had the problem as well and I'm not sure why
> > Microsoft Update hasn't upgraded my version to it.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE7 drop down menu crash

"bimmerite" <bimmerite@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F16292B-33DF-448D-A146-BF20BC362FB6@microsoft.com...
> Sorry for taking so long to reply. I have notification for this enabled but
> I didn't get the notification or it got filtered. Here's a website that
> talked about this problem back in 2007. Their solution was that Start ++
> caused the issue but I don't have that installed and never have. I've tried
> the solutions from the Microsoft KB to no avail.

> Here's the link:
> http://blog.jtbworld.com/2007/05/ie7...drop-down.html

No crash with IE8 on XPsp3, so that might be the answer for a "fix". ; )

---

> Matt
>

> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Can we have an example of a 'certain page'?
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> bimmerite wrote:
>> > On certain pages that contain a single drop down menu, when I click on the
>> > menu IE7 closes. No error messages give & no event viewer events. I'm
>> > running XP SP3 & IE 7.0.5730.11. I just installed the latest updates from
>> > Microsoft Update and the problem persists. I found several posts related to
>> > this back in 2007 and followed the regedit which Adds the following key:
>> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
>> > Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_USE_WINDOWEDS ELECTCONTROL. I'm stumped.
>> > I've seen other machines with a slightly newer version which is IE
>> > 7.0.5730.13 but it supposedly had the problem as well and I'm not sure why
>> > Microsoft Update hasn't upgraded my version to it.
>> >
>> > Any help is appreciated

bimmerite

Re: IE7 drop down menu crash
Believe me, I've considered it but I'd rather find a solution first. I
appreciate the humor, though :-)