Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

a fix for IE8 sites/pages opening very slowly

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2009
Ron Hirsch
 

Posts: n/a
a fix for IE8 sites/pages opening very slowly
After installing IE8, it became slow as molasses, compared IE7. The initial
page took maybe 15 seconds to load, and clicking on other links loaded much
more slowly than IE7 did.

I Googled the problem, and finally spotted this page. It had lots of people
who reported the "fix" worked very well, although no none seemed to know
why.

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=2443

I tried it also in XP. The steps are very simple - see below

It definitely improved loading IE8 initially. And, when switching to new
page, it improved the time by a factor of 4-5 times. Switching to a new page
is now 1-2 seconds.

Trying this "fix" is essentially risk free. All it does is register a DLL in
Windows. If one is concerned about running this, just set a restore point
before trying it out.

Ron Hirsch

IE8 slow? Maybe this tweak will help

FOR WINDOWS XP

1. Click Start, then click Run.

2. In the Run dialog box, type cmd and press Enter.

3. In the Command Prompt window, enter this text and press Enter: regsvr32
actxprxy.dll

4. Restart your computer.



Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2009
Ron Hirsch
 

Posts: n/a
Re: a fix for IE8 sites/pages opening very slowly
Even Outlook Express has speeded up considerably when loading it.

If indeed this fix is that good, why does MS not promote it. or add it to
their "updates"?

Ron Hirsch

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2009
choro
 

Posts: n/a
OE6 kept freezing after IE8 Install (was Re: a fix for IE8 sites/pages opening very slowly)
My IE8 wasn't too bad but my OE6 was completely dead. It would just freeze
up and just show a gray preview pane. For a while I had to use Thunderbird
to download my OE6 mail from my ISP website.

I just went through the instructions below (posted by Ron Hirsch), restarted
the computer and everything was a breeze. It's back to normal now.
Incidentally my OS is Windows XP SP3.

Thanks a million Ron.!!!!!!!!!

Incidentally I have taken the liberty of editing Ron's instructions to
clearly indicate the
space between the two halves of the command " regsvr32 actxprxy.dll "

Again, THANKS A MILLION, Ron !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was really at a loss as to
how I could cure the problem.

> FOR WINDOWS XP
>
> 1. Click Start, then click Run.
>
> 2. In the Run dialog box, type cmd and press Enter.
>
> 3. In the Command Prompt window, enter this text and press...

Enter: regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
>
> 4. Restart your computer.

--
choro
*****
"Ron Hirsch" <ronhirsch1439@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
news:%236NbOJP6JHA.3860@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> After installing IE8, it became slow as molasses, compared IE7. The
> initial
> page took maybe 15 seconds to load, and clicking on other links loaded
> much
> more slowly than IE7 did.
>
> I Googled the problem, and finally spotted this page. It had lots of
> people
> who reported the "fix" worked very well, although no none seemed to know
> why.
>
> http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=2443
>
> I tried it also in XP. The steps are very simple - see below
>
> It definitely improved loading IE8 initially. And, when switching to new
> page, it improved the time by a factor of 4-5 times. Switching to a new
> page
> is now 1-2 seconds.
>
> Trying this "fix" is essentially risk free. All it does is register a DLL
> in
> Windows. If one is concerned about running this, just set a restore point
> before trying it out.
>
> Ron Hirsch
>
> IE8 slow? Maybe this tweak will help
>
> FOR WINDOWS XP
>
> 1. Click Start, then click Run.
>
> 2. In the Run dialog box, type cmd and press Enter.
>
> 3. In the Command Prompt window, enter this text and press Enter: regsvr32
> actxprxy.dll
>
> 4. Restart your computer.



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2009
Ron Hirsch
 

Posts: n/a
Re: OE6 kept freezing after IE8 Install (was Re: a fix for IE8 sites/pages opening very slowly)
I'm glad that the info I collected has been useful to you.

From what I could see, Ed Bott appears to be pretty knowledgable in thsi
area. And since it worked well for me, I wanted to share it with others who
might be having the "slow" problems in IE8.

Ron
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"choro" <choro@tvcon.net> wrote in message
news:bKsXl.29169$2t7.12160@newsfe16.ams2...
My IE8 wasn't too bad but my OE6 was completely dead. It would just freeze
up and just show a gray preview pane. For a while I had to use Thunderbird
to download my OE6 mail from my ISP website.

I just went through the instructions below (posted by Ron Hirsch), restarted
the computer and everything was a breeze. It's back to normal now.
Incidentally my OS is Windows XP SP3.

Thanks a million Ron.!!!!!!!!!

Incidentally I have taken the liberty of editing Ron's instructions to
clearly indicate the
space between the two halves of the command " regsvr32 actxprxy.dll "

Again, THANKS A MILLION, Ron !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was really at a loss as to
how I could cure the problem.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2009
choro
 

Posts: n/a
Re: OE6 kept freezing after IE8 Install (was Re: a fix for IE8 sites/pagesopening very slowly)
Ron Hirsch wrote:
> I'm glad that the info I collected has been useful to you.
>
> From what I could see, Ed Bott appears to be pretty knowledgable in thsi
> area. And since it worked well for me, I wanted to share it with others who
> might be having the "slow" problems in IE8.
>


For me the info you posted was heaven sent! Had so much trouble with my
OE6 after updating to IE8! Tried everything I could think of with no
results. The info you gave sorted the problem out within a couple of
minutes. Phew!

--
choro
*****

> Ron
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> "choro" <choro@tvcon.net> wrote in message
> news:bKsXl.29169$2t7.12160@newsfe16.ams2...
> My IE8 wasn't too bad but my OE6 was completely dead. It would just freeze
> up and just show a gray preview pane. For a while I had to use Thunderbird
> to download my OE6 mail from my ISP website.
>
> I just went through the instructions below (posted by Ron Hirsch), restarted
> the computer and everything was a breeze. It's back to normal now.
> Incidentally my OS is Windows XP SP3.
>
> Thanks a million Ron.!!!!!!!!!
>
> Incidentally I have taken the liberty of editing Ron's instructions to
> clearly indicate the
> space between the two halves of the command " regsvr32 actxprxy.dll "
>
> Again, THANKS A MILLION, Ron !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was really at a loss as to
> how I could cure the problem.
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: a fix for IE8 sites/pages opening very slowly
See...

You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or nothing occurs after you
click a link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281679

Users who have disabled their anti-virus application, real-time protections
afforded by their installed anti-spyware applications (except Defender), and
any third-party firewall and then enabled the Windows Firewall prior to
installing (or uninstalling) IE8 do not run into this problem in the first
place.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002


Ron Hirsch wrote:
> After installing IE8, it became slow as molasses, compared IE7. The
> initial
> page took maybe 15 seconds to load, and clicking on other links loaded
> much
> more slowly than IE7 did.
>
> I Googled the problem, and finally spotted this page. It had lots of
> people
> who reported the "fix" worked very well, although no none seemed to know
> why.
>
> http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=2443
>
> I tried it also in XP. The steps are very simple - see below
>
> It definitely improved loading IE8 initially. And, when switching to new
> page, it improved the time by a factor of 4-5 times. Switching to a new
> page
> is now 1-2 seconds.
>
> Trying this "fix" is essentially risk free. All it does is register a DLL
> in
> Windows. If one is concerned about running this, just set a restore point
> before trying it out.
>
> Ron Hirsch
>
> IE8 slow? Maybe this tweak will help
>
> FOR WINDOWS XP
>
> 1. Click Start, then click Run.
>
> 2. In the Run dialog box, type cmd and press Enter.
>
> 3. In the Command Prompt window, enter this text and press Enter: regsvr32
> actxprxy.dll
>
> 4. Restart your computer.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2009
Ron Hirsch
 

Posts: n/a
Re: a fix for IE8 sites/pages opening very slowly
I went to the site you noted, and ran the one additional registration noted
for XP.

This did not seem to change anything additional from the first one I ran.

I'm running XP SP3, fully patched.

When loading IE8 initially, the home page (MSN) still takes what seems like
too long to load - 10 seconds or so. But clicking on other sites on my list
of useful sites, gets them displayed in under 2 seconds, which I believe is
fast.

Also, Outlook Express now loads much faster than it ever has - but can this
be related to IE8? I know it has to go to Comcast, to check for mail et al,
so maybe it is related to IE8, as the activity of checking 4 e-mail accounts
is now greased lightning, where it had often been at a snail's pace.

What I do not understand is why MS has been delinquent in all of this. If
users upgrading to IE8 should shutdown any security (or other) software
before installing IE8, it would have been nice if MS had come up with some
instructions. Or even better yet, scan for such software, and then come up
with a list, which it would offer to shutdown before the IE8 install.

MS is pushing hard to fight competing browsers. With situations like this,
they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Ron Hirsch
+++++++++++++++++

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23SpdtSR6JHA.4892@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
See...

You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or nothing occurs after you
click a link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281679

Users who have disabled their anti-virus application, real-time protections
afforded by their installed anti-spyware applications (except Defender), and
any third-party firewall and then enabled the Windows Firewall prior to
installing (or uninstalling) IE8 do not run into this problem in the first
place.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2009
choro
 

Posts: n/a
Re: a fix for IE8 sites/pages opening very slowly
Ron Hirsch wrote:
> I went to the site you noted, and ran the one additional registration noted
> for XP.
>
> This did not seem to change anything additional from the first one I ran.
>
> I'm running XP SP3, fully patched.
>
> When loading IE8 initially, the home page (MSN) still takes what seems like
> too long to load - 10 seconds or so. But clicking on other sites on my list
> of useful sites, gets them displayed in under 2 seconds, which I believe is
> fast.
>
> Also, Outlook Express now loads much faster than it ever has - but can this
> be related to IE8?


Ron, isn't OE part of IE? I thought you get OE installed together with
IE. I am no expert in these matters but I always thought that the two go
together. That's the reason why I took your earlier suggestion because
though my OE had ground down to a halt, my IE was working normally. Your
suggestion for sorting out the IE problem, immediately sorted out my OE
and it works a treat now.

Re some web pages being slow to load, isn't this to do with how many
people are trying to access those web pages? Surely, the popularity
of web pages slows down the download. Naturally the speed with
which web pages load also depends on the resources behind those web pages.

Well, at least this is MY understanding.

--
choro
*****

> I know it has to go to Comcast, to check for mail et al,
> so maybe it is related to IE8, as the activity of checking 4 e-mail accounts
> is now greased lightning, where it had often been at a snail's pace.
>
> What I do not understand is why MS has been delinquent in all of this. If
> users upgrading to IE8 should shutdown any security (or other) software
> before installing IE8, it would have been nice if MS had come up with some
> instructions. Or even better yet, scan for such software, and then come up
> with a list, which it would offer to shutdown before the IE8 install.
>
> MS is pushing hard to fight competing browsers. With situations like this,
> they are shooting themselves in the foot.
>
> Ron Hirsch
> +++++++++++++++++
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23SpdtSR6JHA.4892@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> See...
>
> You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or nothing occurs after you
> click a link:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281679
>
> Users who have disabled their anti-virus application, real-time protections
> afforded by their installed anti-spyware applications (except Defender), and
> any third-party firewall and then enabled the Windows Firewall prior to
> installing (or uninstalling) IE8 do not run into this problem in the first
> place.
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2009
Don Varnau
 

Posts: n/a
Re: a fix for IE8 sites/pages opening very slowly
Hi,
This issue seems to affect a *very* small percentage of IE8 installations.
The suspicion is that a third-party program interfered with the installation
of IE8 and re-registering actxprxy.dll resolves the issue.

Re-registering actxprxy.dll isn't a cure-all. ;-)
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]


"Ron Hirsch" <ronhirsch1439@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
news:%23hPRZMP6JHA.5828@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Even Outlook Express has speeded up considerably when loading it.
>
> If indeed this fix is that good, why does MS not promote it. or add it to
> their "updates"?
>
> Ron Hirsch


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: a fix for IE8 sites/pages opening very slowly
The closest MS will ever come to pointing the finger at third-party security
applications causing such issues will be found here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx

Ron Hirsch wrote:
> I went to the site you noted, and ran the one additional registration
> noted
> for XP.
>
> This did not seem to change anything additional from the first one I ran.
>
> I'm running XP SP3, fully patched.
>
> When loading IE8 initially, the home page (MSN) still takes what seems
> like
> too long to load - 10 seconds or so. But clicking on other sites on my
> list
> of useful sites, gets them displayed in under 2 seconds, which I believe
> is
> fast.
>
> Also, Outlook Express now loads much faster than it ever has - but can
> this
> be related to IE8? I know it has to go to Comcast, to check for mail et
> al,
> so maybe it is related to IE8, as the activity of checking 4 e-mail
> accounts
> is now greased lightning, where it had often been at a snail's pace.
>
> What I do not understand is why MS has been delinquent in all of this. If
> users upgrading to IE8 should shutdown any security (or other) software
> before installing IE8, it would have been nice if MS had come up with some
> instructions. Or even better yet, scan for such software, and then come up
> with a list, which it would offer to shutdown before the IE8 install.
>
> MS is pushing hard to fight competing browsers. With situations like this,
> they are shooting themselves in the foot.
>
> Ron Hirsch
> +++++++++++++++++
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23SpdtSR6JHA.4892@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> See...
>
> You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or nothing occurs after you
> click a link:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281679
>
> Users who have disabled their anti-virus application, real-time
> protections
> afforded by their installed anti-spyware applications (except Defender),
> and
> any third-party firewall and then enabled the Windows Firewall prior to
> installing (or uninstalling) IE8 do not run into this problem in the first
> place.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Mail opening slowly, reply & forward slowly kumarcp Introduce Yourself 0 02-12-2009 15:42
Re: IE opens slowly and hangs, pages load slow PA Bear [MS MVP] microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 4 01-22-2009 19:24
Web pages not opening Gammo786 microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 1 12-25-2008 23:14
IE7 loading big web pages slowly on new Gateway Vista64 w 10mps ca mtrot microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 8 08-24-2008 17:36
Web pages loads slowly BV microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-19-2008 14:08




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:20.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120