IE 8 Temporary Internet Files

Lyall Kingman

IE 8 Temporary Internet Files
According to the Temporary Internet Files and History Settings menu in IE8
the location of my Temporary Internet Files folder is: C:\Documents and
Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\.
I have a file manager, Power Desk Pro, which allows me to see all
hidden/system files, and folders and I have seen the Temporary Internet
Files folder in that location in the past, but now this folder does not seem
to exist in that location. In the past, the folder had several subfolders,
where the data was stored, and a index.dat file. I have searched my hard
drive and found a similar folder under Windows but it is empty. Is there any
way I can restore or rebuild this folder?

Thank you,
Lyall Kingman

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 Temporary Internet Files
To see hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer (no need for a third
party tool) open any Windows Explorer window and go to Tools > Folder
Options > View tab
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Lyall Kingman wrote:
> According to the Temporary Internet Files and History Settings menu in IE8
> the location of my Temporary Internet Files folder is: C:\Documents and
> Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\.
> I have a file manager, Power Desk Pro, which allows me to see all
> hidden/system files, and folders and I have seen the Temporary Internet
> Files folder in that location in the past, but now this folder does not seem
> to exist in that location. In the past, the folder had several subfolders,
> where the data was stored, and a index.dat file. I have searched my hard
> drive and found a similar folder under Windows but it is empty. Is there any
> way I can restore or rebuild this folder?
>
> Thank you,
> Lyall Kingman

Eric

Re: IE 8 Temporary Internet Files
Assuming you're running Windows XP, the default for temporary internet files
is:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\.
This folder is not just hidden. To see it, you'd need to go to Tools >
Folder Options > View (tab). Then uncheck the box next to "Hide protected
operating system files". Of course to browse there you'll also need to
select the "Show hidden files and folders" button since Local Settings is
hidden.

"Lyall Kingman" <king@sunsite.dk> wrote in message
> According to the Temporary Internet Files and History Settings menu in IE8
> the location of my Temporary Internet Files folder is: C:\Documents and
> Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\.
> I have a file manager, Power Desk Pro, which allows me to see all
> hidden/system files, and folders and I have seen the Temporary Internet
> Files folder in that location in the past, but now this folder does not
> seem to exist in that location. In the past, the folder had several
> subfolders, where the data was stored, and a index.dat file. I have
> searched my hard drive and found a similar folder under Windows but it is
> empty. Is there any way I can restore or rebuild this folder?
>
> Thank you,
> Lyall Kingman

Richard

"Eric" <someone@idontwantspam.com> wrote in message
> Assuming you're running Windows XP, the default for temporary internet
> files is:
> C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
> Files\.
> This folder is not just hidden. To see it, you'd need to go to Tools >
> Folder Options > View (tab). Then uncheck the box next to "Hide protected
> operating system files". Of course to browse there you'll also need to
> select the "Show hidden files and folders" button since Local Settings is
> hidden.
>
> "Lyall Kingman" <king@sunsite.dk> wrote in message
>> According to the Temporary Internet Files and History Settings menu in
>> IE8 the location of my Temporary Internet Files folder is: C:\Documents
>> and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet
>> Files\.
>> I have a file manager, Power Desk Pro, which allows me to see all
>> hidden/system files, and folders and I have seen the Temporary Internet
>> Files folder in that location in the past, but now this folder does not
>> seem to exist in that location. In the past, the folder had several
>> subfolders, where the data was stored, and a index.dat file. I have
>> searched my hard drive and found a similar folder under Windows but it is
>> empty. Is there any way I can restore or rebuild this folder?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Lyall Kingman

To Y'all,

If indeed there is no folder, IE should create it when you start IE.

(If IE8 has dialog items in same place as IE6, then) To "see" the
folder - in Internet Explorer, click:
Tools | Internet Options | General (tab) | Settings | View Files
The right-click "What's This?" for that last button says:
"Click this to open the Temporary Internet Files folder, which stores Web
pages and other files, such as graphics and cookies, as you view them."

Next to the "View Files" button is a "Move Folder" button, the "What's This"
says: "Click this to specify a different folder for storing your temporary
Internet files. Note: You must restart your computer before this location
will be used."

FWIW. --Richard

techstar

Re: IE 8 Temporary Internet Files
You can view the temporary internet files folder from IE8 itself.

The steps to be followed can be found here:
http://www.dkszone.net/2009/05/where...net-files.html