IE8 does not always close handle of file based URL

kp88

IE8 does not always close handle of file based URL
I am finding the IE8 on Vista does not always close the handle to a file
based URL after the tab is closed. Specifically, I'm opening PDF files so
there's another mime-type handler process involved (in my case Adobe Acrobat)
but using procexp.exe I can see that iexplorer.exe is the process hanging on
to the file even after the mime type handler has exited.

I say not always because sometimes I don't see the file handle under
iexplore.exe at all and other times, the file handle is closed after some
delay. In a 3rd case, the handle is never closed (where never >= 60mins), at
least until I manually exit from IE8.

Is this a feature or a bug?

If this is not the right forum, could someone direct me to the right place?

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: IE8 does not always close handle of file based URL
See if http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx
makes things any clearer.

kp88 wrote:
> I am finding the IE8 on Vista does not always close the handle to a file
> based URL after the tab is closed. Specifically, I'm opening PDF files so
> there's another mime-type handler process involved (in my case Adobe
> Acrobat) but using procexp.exe I can see that iexplorer.exe is the process
> hanging on to the file even after the mime type handler has exited.
>
> I say not always because sometimes I don't see the file handle under
> iexplore.exe at all and other times, the file handle is closed after some
> delay. In a 3rd case, the handle is never closed (where never >= 60mins),
> at least until I manually exit from IE8.
>
> Is this a feature or a bug?
>
> If this is not the right forum, could someone direct me to the right
> place?
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

kp88

Re: IE8 does not always close handle of file based URL
Thank you for responding and for the link.

Are you suggesting that Automatic Crash Recovery is the reason the file URL
handles are kept open? I suppose that's reasonable if the handles are
eventually closed/released (within a few secs) after the user has closed the
tab or moved on to some other URL, but the case I'm seeing where the handle
is never released seems like a bug to me.

What do you think?

Do you know what conditions must be met in order for the handle to be closed?

Thanks,
Kevin

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> See if http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx
> makes things any clearer.
>
> kp88 wrote:
> > I am finding the IE8 on Vista does not always close the handle to a file
> > based URL after the tab is closed. Specifically, I'm opening PDF files so
> > there's another mime-type handler process involved (in my case Adobe
> > Acrobat) but using procexp.exe I can see that iexplorer.exe is the process
> > hanging on to the file even after the mime type handler has exited.
> >
> > I say not always because sometimes I don't see the file handle under
> > iexplore.exe at all and other times, the file handle is closed after some
> > delay. In a 3rd case, the handle is never closed (where never >= 60mins),
> > at least until I manually exit from IE8.
> >
> > Is this a feature or a bug?
> >
> > If this is not the right forum, could someone direct me to the right
> > place?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kevin

Re: IE8 does not always close handle of file based URL
Are you running Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2?

If the second, Automatic Crash Recovery-instance of IEXPLORE.EXE never
disappears, something else is going on.

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8 and/or WinXP SP3? May I assume you installed IE8 after you installed
SP3?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

5. Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
<=Just asking for now!!

6. Is Adobe Acrobat/Adobe Reader configured to open PDF files in the browser
or in Adobe Reader? What version of Adobe Acrobat/Adobe Reader are you
running (e.g., v9.1.1)?
--
~PA Bear