A web page IE8 can't display

Robert Miles

A web page IE8 can't display
IE8 under 64-bit Vista SP2 will display part of this web
page, then give an error message saying the page cannot
be displayed:

<http://tabibqulob.blogspot.com/2009/06/they-used-to-saynostalgia.html>

I haven't seen enough of this page to tell if it's worth
displaying, though.

Robert Miles

Re: A web page IE8 can't display
And if you access the page in Compatibility mode...?

Robert Miles wrote:
> IE8 under 64-bit Vista SP2 will display part of this web
> page, then give an error message saying the page cannot
> be displayed:
>
> <http://tabibqulob.blogspot.com/2009/06/they-used-to-saynostalgia.html>
>
> I haven't seen enough of this page to tell if it's worth
> displaying, though.
>
> Robert Miles

Daniel Crichton

Robert wrote on Thu, 4 Jun 2009 16:20:15 -0500:

> IE8 under 64-bit Vista SP2 will display part of this web page, then
> give an error message saying the page cannot be displayed:

> <http://tabibqulob.blogspot.com/2009/06/they-used-to-saynostalgia.html>

> I haven't seen enough of this page to tell if it's worth displaying,
> though.

> Robert Miles

This sort of error often occurs because some client side script is trying to
modifying the page structure before the page has finished loading. IE8 was
supposed to silently drop this error message and attempt to continue but it
seems that the final release still has this issue.

Viewing in Compatibility mode, at least on XP SP2 here, allows it to load -
but it appears to be a mostly blank page with some adverts down the left
side. At a guess the script that generates the content area is what is
causing the error, it's badly written in that it tries to insert the content
while the HTML is still being parsed.

The page has a lot of problems - a validation at W3C has over 500 errors,
and there are script blocks all over the place (the W3C defines the script
element as only being valid within the head element).

--
Dan

Robert Miles

Re: A web page IE8 can't display
And how do you ask for Compatibility mode? It seems to
work now without it, though.

> And if you access the page in Compatibility mode...?
>
> Robert Miles wrote:
>> IE8 under 64-bit Vista SP2 will display part of this web
>> page, then give an error message saying the page cannot
>> be displayed:
>>
>> <http://tabibqulob.blogspot.com/2009/06/they-used-to-saynostalgia.html>
>>
>> I haven't seen enough of this page to tell if it's worth
>> displaying, though.
>>
>> Robert Miles

Re: A web page IE8 can't display
See IE8 Help.

Robert Miles wrote:
> And how do you ask for Compatibility mode? It seems to
> work now without it, though.

>> And if you access the page in Compatibility mode...?
>>
>> Robert Miles wrote:
>>> IE8 under 64-bit Vista SP2 will display part of this web
>>> page, then give an error message saying the page cannot
>>> be displayed:
>>>
>>> <http://tabibqulob.blogspot.com/2009/06/they-used-to-saynostalgia.html>
>>>
>>> I haven't seen enough of this page to tell if it's worth
>>> displaying, though.
>>>
>>> Robert Miles

Gary VanderMolen

Re: A web page IE8 can't display
Tools, Compatibility View Settings. The rest is obvious.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"Robert Miles" <robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message news:eN2aUJm5JHA.4780@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> And how do you ask for Compatibility mode? It seems to
> work now without it, though.

>> And if you access the page in Compatibility mode...?
>>
>> Robert Miles wrote:
>>> IE8 under 64-bit Vista SP2 will display part of this web
>>> page, then give an error message saying the page cannot
>>> be displayed:
>>>
>>> <http://tabibqulob.blogspot.com/2009/06/they-used-to-saynostalgia.html>
>>>
>>> I haven't seen enough of this page to tell if it's worth
>>> displaying, though.
>>>
>>> Robert Miles

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: A web page IE8 can't display

"Robert Miles" <robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message news:eN2aUJm5JHA.4780@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> And how do you ask for Compatibility mode? It seems to
> work now without it, though.

If the page falsely claims IE8 Standards the button won't be there
even if you have it enabled. In that case you could force it using
the Developer Tools (F12), e.g. Document Mode: Quirks etc.

See also some of the IE Team's blogs about this feature:

http://blogs.msdn.com/jimoneil/archi...ay-week-2.aspx

(via BING for
IE8 compatibility "Developer Tools" site:msdn.com
)

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uIvaPbW5JHA.1712@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> And if you access the page in Compatibility mode...?
>>
>> Robert Miles wrote:
>>> IE8 under 64-bit Vista SP2 will display part of this web
>>> page, then give an error message saying the page cannot
>>> be displayed:
>>>
>>> <http://tabibqulob.blogspot.com/2009/06/they-used-to-saynostalgia.html>
>>>
>>> I haven't seen enough of this page to tell if it's worth
>>> displaying, though.
>>>
>>> Robert Miles

Re: A web page IE8 can't display
Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
<snip>
> See also some of the IE Team's blogs about this feature:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/jimoneil/archi...ay-week-2.aspx

<picking nits> That's not the IE Team's blog (cf. http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/
or http://blogs.msdn.com/askIE/)

joe

RE: A web page IE8 can't display
I used this MS letter, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969705, to fix my MS
Publisher 2003 produced web sites. I just ungrouped locked grouped objects
and text boxes and reposted my web sites. Using their Compatibility button
does not work.

Other solutions I found online was suggesting to insert an html code into
the header, but this did work in Microsoft Publisher 2003
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...mulateie7.aspx

Microsoft should have disclosed to its clients on the day they released IE 8
that these fixes and issues existed

"Robert Miles" wrote:

> IE8 under 64-bit Vista SP2 will display part of this web
> page, then give an error message saying the page cannot
> be displayed:
>
> <http://tabibqulob.blogspot.com/2009/06/they-used-to-saynostalgia.html>
>
> I haven't seen enough of this page to tell if it's worth
> displaying, though.
>
> Robert Miles

Leonard Grey

Re: A web page IE8 can't display
How many times do you plan to make the identical post?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est