Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

IE8 won't start?

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2009
Geri
 

Posts: n/a
IE8 won't start?
A couple days ago I read all the dos & don’ts (i.e. removing IE7) &
loaded Win XP SP3 with no problems. Did all the XP updates, including
reloading IE7 and its updates. Yesterday I tried the IE8 update and it
seemed to download ok. Everything looked good, new files and all, but
IE8 will not start. Removed IE8, reverted to IE7, and things are back
to normal… IE7 works fine. Tried a second time yesterday and again
today and get the same results. IE8 update seems to download ok but
will not start.

BTW, I turned off my firewall, virus software and just about everything
else that loads at start-up and no help.

Any suggestions? Thanks,

Geri
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 won't start?
Asked in WinXP General earlier today/Answered in WinXP General w/crosspost
to IE General.

If you must make identical posts to multiple newsgroups, please cross-post
one (1) message to all of them. Thank you.

Multiposting vs Crossposting:
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm

REPOST:

No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
(only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain
environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
install it.
--
IE-specific newsgroup:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof...plorer.general

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002


Geri wrote:
> A couple days ago I read all the dos & don’ts (i.e. removing IE7) &
> loaded Win XP SP3 with no problems. Did all the XP updates, including
> reloading IE7 and its updates. Yesterday I tried the IE8 update and it
> seemed to download ok. Everything looked good, new files and all, but
> IE8 will not start. Removed IE8, reverted to IE7, and things are back
> to normal… IE7 works fine. Tried a second time yesterday and again
> today and get the same results. IE8 update seems to download ok but
> will not start.
>
> BTW, I turned off my firewall, virus software and just about everything
> else that loads at start-up and no help.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks,
>
> Geri


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2009
Sgt
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 won't start?
Printed article from a web page.Printed fine for me.


"Geri" <geri@any.net> wrote in message
news:OAh3lYJ5JHA.1716@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>A couple days ago I read all the dos & don’ts (i.e. removing IE7) & loaded
>Win XP SP3 with no problems. Did all the XP updates, including reloading
>IE7 and its updates. Yesterday I tried the IE8 update and it seemed to
>download ok. Everything looked good, new files and all, but IE8 will not
>start. Removed IE8, reverted to IE7, and things are back to normal… IE7
>works fine. Tried a second time yesterday and again today and get the same
>results. IE8 update seems to download ok but will not start.
>
> BTW, I turned off my firewall, virus software and just about everything
> else that loads at start-up and no help.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks,
>
> Geri



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 won't start?
[Wrong thread, Sarge]

Sgt wrote:
> Printed article from a web page.Printed fine for me.
>
>
> "Geri" <geri@any.net> wrote in message
> news:OAh3lYJ5JHA.1716@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> A couple days ago I read all the dos & don’ts (i.e. removing IE7) &
>> loaded
>> Win XP SP3 with no problems. Did all the XP updates, including reloading
>> IE7 and its updates. Yesterday I tried the IE8 update and it seemed to
>> download ok. Everything looked good, new files and all, but IE8 will not
>> start. Removed IE8, reverted to IE7, and things are back to normal… IE7
>> works fine. Tried a second time yesterday and again today and get the
>> same
>> results. IE8 update seems to download ok but will not start.
>>
>> BTW, I turned off my firewall, virus software and just about everything
>> else that loads at start-up and no help.
>>
>> Any suggestions? Thanks,
>>
>> Geri


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2009
Geri
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 won't start?
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Asked in WinXP General earlier today/Answered in WinXP General
> w/crosspost to IE General.
>

Yes I did, however you told me to come over here!!!

> If you must make identical posts to multiple newsgroups, please
> cross-post one (1) message to all of them. Thank you.
>
> Multiposting vs Crossposting:
> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>
> REPOST:
>
> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain
> environment.
> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
> => Other locales:
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>
> My personal recommendations include:
>
> => Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx
>

Tried this. No change. Didn't work this way either.

> => Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
> and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.
>
> => Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
> installing or uninstalling IE8.
>
> => I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
> anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
> before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
> third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
> Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.
>

I believe I said I did all of the above. Still didn't start.

> => Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
> System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point
> prior to
> reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]
>
> => Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.
>

Didn't help.

> => For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
> application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
> third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
> install it.


These were all disabled before I upgraded and after I rebooted.
> --
> IE-specific newsgroup:
> news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof...plorer.general
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>
>
> Geri wrote:
>> A couple days ago I read all the dos & don’ts (i.e. removing IE7) &
>> loaded Win XP SP3 with no problems. Did all the XP updates, including
>> reloading IE7 and its updates. Yesterday I tried the IE8 update and it
>> seemed to download ok. Everything looked good, new files and all, but
>> IE8 will not start. Removed IE8, reverted to IE7, and things are back
>> to normal… IE7 works fine. Tried a second time yesterday and again
>> today and get the same results. IE8 update seems to download ok but
>> will not start.
>>
>> BTW, I turned off my firewall, virus software and just about everything
>> else that loads at start-up and no help.
>>
>> Any suggestions? Thanks,
>>
>> Geri

>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 won't start?
You may have missed:

>> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
>> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
>> December
>> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
>> non-domain
>> environment.
>> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
>> => Other locales:
>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043



Geri wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Asked in WinXP General earlier today/Answered in WinXP General
>> w/crosspost to IE General.
>>

> Yes I did, however you told me to come over here!!!
>
>> If you must make identical posts to multiple newsgroups, please
>> cross-post one (1) message to all of them. Thank you.
>>
>> Multiposting vs Crossposting:
>> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>>
>> REPOST:
>>
>> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
>> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
>> December
>> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
>> non-domain
>> environment.
>> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
>> => Other locales:
>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>>
>> My personal recommendations include:
>>
>> => Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx
>>

> Tried this. No change. Didn't work this way either.
>
>> => Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
>> and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.
>>
>> => Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon)
>> before
>> installing or uninstalling IE8.
>>
>> => I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and
>> any
>> anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
>> before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
>> third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling
>> the
>> Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.
>>

> I believe I said I did all of the above. Still didn't start.
>
>> => Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
>> System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point
>> prior to
>> reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to
>> see
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]
>>
>> => Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.
>>

> Didn't help.
>
>> => For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
>> application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and
>> your
>> third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you
>> decide
>> install it.

>
> These were all disabled before I upgraded and after I rebooted.
>> --
>> IE-specific newsgroup:
>> news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof...plorer.general
>>
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>>
>>
>> Geri wrote:
>>> A couple days ago I read all the dos & don’ts (i.e. removing IE7) &
>>> loaded Win XP SP3 with no problems. Did all the XP updates, including
>>> reloading IE7 and its updates. Yesterday I tried the IE8 update and it
>>> seemed to download ok. Everything looked good, new files and all, but
>>> IE8 will not start. Removed IE8, reverted to IE7, and things are back
>>> to normal… IE7 works fine. Tried a second time yesterday and again
>>> today and get the same results. IE8 update seems to download ok but
>>> will not start.
>>>
>>> BTW, I turned off my firewall, virus software and just about everything
>>> else that loads at start-up and no help.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? Thanks,
>>>
>>> Geri


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Vista Sidebar Does Not Start at Start-Up WinVistaClub WinVistaClub Blog 0 08-25-2008 17:10
Start button -- start menu Problem vladsky microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 06-01-2008 16:57
Permission needed to start a specific program in the Start Menu Paddy microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 5 08-12-2007 18:36
Start vistart every time you start your computer BlogFeed Windows Vista Blogs Forum 0 05-18-2007 03:03
Weirdest problems.Can't start programs from start menu and use Cop Mihai microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 05-12-2007 07:28




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:39.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120