IE 8 Icon Missing

Mr. T

IE 8 Icon Missing
I downloaded the IE 8 program, but it is not appearing on my desktop nor in
my program list.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 Icon Missing
Did you actually install it?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Mr. T wrote:
> I downloaded the IE 8 program, but it is not appearing on my desktop nor in
> my program list.

Re: IE 8 Icon Missing
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
install it.

Mr. T wrote:
> I downloaded the IE 8 program, but it is not appearing on my desktop nor
> in
> my program list.

Lewis Smith

Re: IE 8 Icon Missing
> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> when posting to this newsgroup.
>
> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
> non-domain environment.
> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
> => Other locales:
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>
> My personal recommendations include:
>
> => Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

Good God! Are you kidding me??? I know a little about computers, but I'll
never go through all that just to upgrade a browser......

Lew

> => Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
> and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.
>
> => Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
> installing or uninstalling IE8.
>
> => I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and
> any anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than
> Defender's) before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're
> running a third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then
> enabling the Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE
> upgrade.
>
> => Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
> System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior
> to reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to
> see http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]
>
> => Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.
>
> => For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
> application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
> third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
> install it.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Mr. T wrote:
>> I downloaded the IE 8 program, but it is not appearing on my desktop nor
>> in
>> my program list.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE 8 Icon Missing

"Mr. T" <MrT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB72518F-D7D3-4C1D-BC4B-C3CB7E997F51@microsoft.com...
>I downloaded the IE 8 program, but it is not appearing on my desktop nor in
> my program list.

That could be normal, depending on your OS, your maintenance level,
and your Start menu Properties.

If you just want to assure yourself that you are now using IE8,
Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter

msinfo32.exe /category IESummary

and look at the Version Item.

FYI