IE8 Closes immediately after opening

Warren

IE8 Closes immediately after opening
I installed IE8 on my Windows XP SP3 computer a few days ago. All went
well. However, today I have had an intermittent problem in which it closes
immediately after opening it. I can reopen it after this behavior and it is
OK. There are no problems with surfing the web. Any ideas as to what may
be causing this would be appreciated. I have run Lavasoft AdAware and
McAfee virusscan.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Closes immediately after opening
Run Internet Explorer in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Warren wrote:
> I installed IE8 on my Windows XP SP3 computer a few days ago. All went
> well. However, today I have had an intermittent problem in which it closes
> immediately after opening it. I can reopen it after this behavior and it is
> OK. There are no problems with surfing the web. Any ideas as to what may
> be causing this would be appreciated. I have run Lavasoft AdAware and
> McAfee virusscan.

Re: IE8 Closes immediately after opening
When you start Internet Explorer 8, it opens and then closes immediately
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967896

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What's the full name of your McAfee application (e.g., McAfee Security
Center) and is your subscription current? Are you running Ad-Aware AE,
Ad-Aware 2008, or Ad-Aware 2007? What anti-spyware applications other than
Windows Defender and Ad-Aware are installed? What third-party firewall (if
any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when you
installed IE8?

4b. Has another McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
(including a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

5. Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
<=Just asking for now!!

Warren wrote:
> I installed IE8 on my Windows XP SP3 computer a few days ago. All went
> well. However, today I have had an intermittent problem in which it
> closes
> immediately after opening it. I can reopen it after this behavior and it
> is
> OK. There are no problems with surfing the web. Any ideas as to what may
> be causing this would be appreciated. I have run Lavasoft AdAware and
> McAfee virusscan.

Warren

Re: IE8 Closes immediately after opening
Leonard & PA Bear,

Thanks for the tips. Since the problem is quite intermittent, it is going
to be difficult to nail this thing down. I shall keep your tips in mind in
case it gets worse. I really appreciate you taking the time to assist.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Closes immediately after opening
Glad to help. Please report back with your findings so others may benefit.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est