IE8 Not Compatible With Office XP (2002)

swassociates

IE8 Not Compatible With Office XP (2002)
So Microsoft says that IE8 is necessary for security. Silly me for thinking
it would be compatible with Office XP Pro (2002). A version they still
provide updates for. I was informed yesterday by support that it isn't
compatible and I would need to upgrade to Office 2007. Thanks Microsoft, once
again you cost a loyal user more money.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Not Compatible With Office XP (2002)
I have Office 2002 and IE 8, and have no problems whatsoever.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

swassociates wrote:
> So Microsoft says that IE8 is necessary for security. Silly me for thinking
> it would be compatible with Office XP Pro (2002). A version they still
> provide updates for. I was informed yesterday by support that it isn't
> compatible and I would need to upgrade to Office 2007. Thanks Microsoft, once
> again you cost a loyal user more money.

Re: IE8 Not Compatible With Office XP (2002)
<pst> Support for Office XP ended well over a year ago.

swassociates wrote:
> So Microsoft says that IE8 is necessary for security. Silly me for
> thinking
> it would be compatible with Office XP Pro (2002). A version they still
> provide updates for. I was informed yesterday by support that it isn't
> compatible and I would need to upgrade to Office 2007. Thanks Microsoft,
> once again you cost a loyal user more money.

swassociates

Re: IE8 Not Compatible With Office XP (2002)
Do you use Oulook 2002 as your email client? I do it it crashed upon opening
after IE8 install. It stopped once I removed it. According to IE8 support
that is what should be expected.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> I have Office 2002 and IE 8, and have no problems whatsoever.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> swassociates wrote:
> > So Microsoft says that IE8 is necessary for security. Silly me for thinking
> > it would be compatible with Office XP Pro (2002). A version they still
> > provide updates for. I was informed yesterday by support that it isn't
> > compatible and I would need to upgrade to Office 2007. Thanks Microsoft, once
> > again you cost a loyal user more money.

swassociates

Re: IE8 Not Compatible With Office XP (2002)
Funny, I still get updates monthly for all the programs contained in the
suite. Sounds like support to me.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> <pst> Support for Office XP ended well over a year ago.
>
> swassociates wrote:
> > So Microsoft says that IE8 is necessary for security. Silly me for
> > thinking
> > it would be compatible with Office XP Pro (2002). A version they still
> > provide updates for. I was informed yesterday by support that it isn't
> > compatible and I would need to upgrade to Office 2007. Thanks Microsoft,
> > once again you cost a loyal user more money.

Re: IE8 Not Compatible With Office XP (2002)
Office XP/2002 SP3 is on Extended Support through 12 July 2011; cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=2533

<QP>
At the supported service pack level, Extended Support includes:

. Paid support
. Security update support at no additional cost
. Non-security related hotfix support requires a separate Extended
Hotfix Support Agreement to be purchased (per-fix fees also apply)
</QP>
Source: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/

swassociates wrote:
> Funny, I still get updates monthly for all the programs contained in the
> suite. Sounds like support to me.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> <pst> Support for Office XP ended well over a year ago.
>>
>> swassociates wrote:
>>> So Microsoft says that IE8 is necessary for security. Silly me for
>>> thinking
>>> it would be compatible with Office XP Pro (2002). A version they still
>>> provide updates for. I was informed yesterday by support that it isn't
>>> compatible and I would need to upgrade to Office 2007. Thanks Microsoft,
>>> once again you cost a loyal user more money.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Not Compatible With Office XP (2002)
I use Outlook 2002 every day with IE 8 installed. Never a problem.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

swassociates wrote:
> Do you use Oulook 2002 as your email client? I do it it crashed upon opening
> after IE8 install. It stopped once I removed it. According to IE8 support
> that is what should be expected.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> I have Office 2002 and IE 8, and have no problems whatsoever.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> swassociates wrote:
>>> So Microsoft says that IE8 is necessary for security. Silly me for thinking
>>> it would be compatible with Office XP Pro (2002). A version they still
>>> provide updates for. I was informed yesterday by support that it isn't
>>> compatible and I would need to upgrade to Office 2007. Thanks Microsoft, once
>>> again you cost a loyal user more money.

VanguardLH

swassociates wrote:

> So Microsoft says that IE8 is necessary for security. Silly me for thinking
> it would be compatible with Office XP Pro (2002). A version they still
> provide updates for. I was informed yesterday by support that it isn't
> compatible and I would need to upgrade to Office 2007. Thanks Microsoft, once
> again you cost a loyal user more money.

Informed yesterday by WHO?

I have Office 2002. I have Internet Explorer 8.

So just what is this incompatibility to which you allude but never
bothered to actually specify?
VanguardLH

swassociates wrote:

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> swassociates wrote:
>>>
>>> So Microsoft says that IE8 is necessary for security. Silly me for
>>> thinking it would be compatible with Office XP Pro (2002). A
>>> version they still provide updates for. I was informed yesterday by
>>> support that it isn't compatible and I would need to upgrade to
>>> Office 2007. Thanks Microsoft, once again you cost a loyal user
>>> more money.

>> <pst> Support for Office XP ended well over a year ago.

> Funny, I still get updates monthly for all the programs contained in
> the suite. Sounds like support to me.

No, you don't. You don't bother to review the updates offered from the
Windows Update site. You blindly install them. Name a *non-security*
update for Office XP that was released AFTER mainstream support ended
for Office XP which was on 7/11/2006.

Lifecycle: Office XP
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=2533

Updates for Office XP
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...225741033.aspx

Um, you do realize that Microsoft continues to release /*security*/
updates for programs that are no longer mainstream supported, right?
And that those security updates continue until the end of EXTENDED
support, right? Extended support for Office XP ends on 7/12/2011. You
(and me and other Office XP users) will be getting SECURITY updates for
another 2 years.
VanguardLH

swassociates wrote:

> Do you use Oulook 2002 as your email client? I do it it crashed upon opening
> after IE8 install. It stopped once I removed it. According to IE8 support
> that is what should be expected.

From WHERE did you obtain this "IE8 support"?

What of IE8 does OL2002 even use? Nothing. If you click on a URL link
then Outlook isn't involved as it passed the URL string to whatever
handler is currently specified (i.e., your web browser).

Have you tried loading Outlook in its safe mode ("outlook.exe /safe")
which does NOT include loading of any add-ons that you installed for
Outlook? If Outlook works okay in safe mode, an add-on or COM plug-in
is causing the problem. Did you ever check the Event Viewer to see if
an error was listed there at the time that the "crash" occurred?

If you want to discuss problems with Outlook then go ask for help in a
newsgroup that discusses Outlook, like microsoft.public.outlook.general.
This newsgroup discusses Internet Explorer (released versions).