hey, if you are still interested in a solution and you've had enough of this
Don character then i think i may be able to help.
search in your program files for a program called "search settings"
if it is there, then this is your problem.
it is a trojan/malware program often downloaded with freeware. and
automatically reverts your search defaults to Yahoo! search which everyone
you cannot delete the files straight off the bat, it says you do not have
1. go to task manager (ctrl+alt+del)
2. go to processes tab
3. find "searchsettings.exe" and end process
4. delete the files
5. do a full system search for "searchsettings" (no quotation marks)
6. one file may appear which starts with searchsettings.exe (its a pf or pl
file or something. dont worry if this doesnt appear its just a cautionary
8. open IE explorer, windows installer may wish to 'configure' search
settings 1.2.1 if it doesnt and your computer is back to normal then
everything is fixed.
if the windows installer box does appear:
9. cancel it.
10. install the following program from microsoft:
11. once installed, search for the program in start menu and run it.
12. in the box that appears scroll and find search settings, remove it.
13. restart the computer, everything should be back to normal, it may take a
couple of restarts but it should be a-ok. you may now remove windows
installer clean up.
Hope all this helps!
> When I installed IE8 (on Vista) I made Google my default search engine for
> the address bar. My nephew was messing around on my computer and now the
> default search engine is Yahoo and I can't figure out how to switch it back.
> Please help. Note: my default in the "search bar" is still google and
> messing with those settings has not helped.