Change default Search Engine in Address Bar

JoeMcCarl

Change default Search Engine in Address Bar
When I installed IE8 (on Vista) I made Google my default search engine for
the address bar. My nephew was messing around on my computer and now the
default search engine is Yahoo and I can't figure out how to switch it back.
Please help. Note: my default in the "search bar" is still google and
messing with those settings has not helped.
Don Varnau

Re: Change default Search Engine in Address Bar
Hi,
Is the Yahoo toolbar listed in Control Panel> Programs and features? If it
is, uninstall it.

Option 2... IE> Tools> Manage add-ons, disable the Yahoo toolbar if it's
there.
- -
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"JoeMcCarl" <JoeMcCarl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I installed IE8 (on Vista) I made Google my default search engine for
> the address bar. My nephew was messing around on my computer and now the
> default search engine is Yahoo and I can't figure out how to switch it

back.
> Please help. Note: my default in the "search bar" is still google and
> messing with those settings has not helped.

JoeMcCarl

Re: Change default Search Engine in Address Bar
There is nothing Yahoo related that is listed in the "control panel>programs
and features" and I already played around in the "Tools>Manage Add-ons" to no
avail. There is nothing Yahoo related in the "toolbars and extensions" and I
erased Yahoo from the "search providers" yesterday and changed Google back to
the default. Unfortunately, that only changes the provider in the search bar
not the address bar. Searching for google without any key strokes or mouse
clicks was one of my favorite new features of IE8 and I'm frustrated that my
browser is using Yahoo, which is a terrible search engine.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Is the Yahoo toolbar listed in Control Panel> Programs and features? If it
> is, uninstall it.
>
> Option 2... IE> Tools> Manage add-ons, disable the Yahoo toolbar if it's
> there.
> - -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "JoeMcCarl" <JoeMcCarl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I installed IE8 (on Vista) I made Google my default search engine for
> > the address bar. My nephew was messing around on my computer and now the
> > default search engine is Yahoo and I can't figure out how to switch it

> back.
> > Please help. Note: my default in the "search bar" is still google and
> > messing with those settings has not helped.

Robert Aldwinckle

"JoeMcCarl" <JoeMcCarl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C5631B1-36DB-4129-9775-ACD81ACC6225@microsoft.com...
> There is nothing Yahoo related that is listed in the "control panel>programs
> and features" and I already played around in the "Tools>Manage Add-ons" to no
> avail. There is nothing Yahoo related in the "toolbars and extensions" and I
> erased Yahoo from the "search providers" yesterday and changed Google back to
> the default.

> Unfortunately, that only changes the provider in the search bar
> not the address bar.

I suspect you may be giving us your interpretation of your symptoms
rather than just an accurate description of the symptoms themselves.

E.g one possible explanation would be that you could be misinterpreting
a feature your ISP is providing for invalid DNS lookups.

> Searching for google without any key strokes or mouse
> clicks was one of my favorite new features of IE8 and I'm frustrated that my
> browser is using Yahoo, which is a terrible search engine.

?? What are you using then? thought control? <eg>

Don't use the Address bar for searching. Use the Search bar for searching.
E.g. press Ctrl-e and type a search expression that your selected
search engine will interpret correctly for you.

Use your Address bar only to find URLs or Favorites that you already
have stored in your computer. In particular make sure that you have
a protocol prefix associated with everything you generate there before
you press Enter. If you want to use old-style search from the Address bar
make sure you use one of its search keywords (e.g. ? go or find)
to indicate that. Then your search will go directly to a search engine
and not involve a trial DNS lookup for a non-existent host name.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Is the Yahoo toolbar listed in Control Panel> Programs and features? If it
>> is, uninstall it.
>>
>> Option 2... IE> Tools> Manage add-ons, disable the Yahoo toolbar if it's
>> there.
>> - -
>> Hope this helps,
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>

>> "JoeMcCarl" <JoeMcCarl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I installed IE8 (on Vista) I made Google my default search engine for
>> > the address bar. My nephew was messing around on my computer and now the
>> > default search engine is Yahoo and I can't figure out how to switch it

>> back.
>> > Please help. Note: my default in the "search bar" is still google and
>> > messing with those settings has not helped.

JoeMcCarl

Re: Change default Search Engine in Address Bar
By "key strokes or mouse clicks" I meant strokes or clicks required to get to
the search bar. I know how to search the old fashion way. I don't want to
search the old fashion way. IE8 comes with a feature that allows you to
search your favorite search engine directly from the toolbar, just like
Mozilla (Firefox) and Google Chrome. Address bars aren't just for URL's and
protocol prefixes anymore bro. You just open a new tab and start typing.
You hit CTRL + E, I used to just double tap TAB. When you install IE8 it
allows you to specify which search engine you want to use. I did that and
picked google, but my nephew was screwing around with my computer and now it
defaults to Yahoo (which sucks). I want to know how to switch my address bar
search function back to Google.

"JoeMcCarl" <JoeMcCarl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:062B7E30-8885-4BFB-ADCD-754524021F9C@microsoft.com...
> By "key strokes or mouse clicks" I meant strokes or clicks required to get to
> the search bar. I know how to search the old fashion way. I don't want to
> search the old fashion way. IE8 comes with a feature that allows you to
> search your favorite search engine directly from the toolbar, just like
> Mozilla (Firefox) and Google Chrome.

> Address bars aren't just for URL's and protocol prefixes anymore bro.

Wrong. That's why you are having problems using the Address bar
because you are trying to do things with it that it is not designed for.

> You just open a new tab and start typing.

Yes. Notice what opens up *under* your typing? That's what you
should be using when you type, not trying to enter your typing.

> You hit CTRL + E, I used to just double tap TAB. When you install IE8 it
> allows you to specify which search engine you want to use. I did that and
> picked google, but my nephew was screwing around with my computer and now it
> defaults to Yahoo (which sucks).

Now you're being unclear. I thought you meant the Yahoo page came
as a result of your typing in the Address bar. Are you getting a Yahoo
page after trying to enter search criteria in the search bar too?
If so, go to Manage Search Providers (e.g. via the Search bar's dropdown
menu), click on the one which is Default capture its URL and test it from
the Address bar. Unfortunately it looks as if you have to transcribe it
rather than capture it. Or perhaps you have Search suggestions enabled
and what your (unclear) symptoms really indicate is that your DNS doesn't
know how to resolve its address? In that case click on Disable Suggestions
and see if you can use the Search bar in the normal way.

> I want to know how to switch my address bar
> search function back to Google.

I told you. Assuming you still have search from the Address bar enabled,
use the ? prefix and add your search criteria there. What host does that go to?

HTH

Robert
---

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "JoeMcCarl" <JoeMcCarl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C5631B1-36DB-4129-9775-ACD81ACC6225@microsoft.com...
>> > There is nothing Yahoo related that is listed in the "control panel>programs
>> > and features" and I already played around in the "Tools>Manage Add-ons" to no
>> > avail. There is nothing Yahoo related in the "toolbars and extensions" and I
>> > erased Yahoo from the "search providers" yesterday and changed Google back to
>> > the default.

>> > Unfortunately, that only changes the provider in the search bar
>> > not the address bar.

>> I suspect you may be giving us your interpretation of your symptoms
>> rather than just an accurate description of the symptoms themselves.
>>
>> E.g one possible explanation would be that you could be misinterpreting
>> a feature your ISP is providing for invalid DNS lookups.
>>

>> > Searching for google without any key strokes or mouse
>> > clicks was one of my favorite new features of IE8 and I'm frustrated that my
>> > browser is using Yahoo, which is a terrible search engine.

>> ?? What are you using then? thought control? <eg>
>>
>> Don't use the Address bar for searching. Use the Search bar for searching.
>> E.g. press Ctrl-e and type a search expression that your selected
>> search engine will interpret correctly for you.
>>
>> Use your Address bar only to find URLs or Favorites that you already
>> have stored in your computer. In particular make sure that you have
>> a protocol prefix associated with everything you generate there before
>> you press Enter. If you want to use old-style search from the Address bar
>> make sure you use one of its search keywords (e.g. ? go or find)
>> to indicate that. Then your search will go directly to a search engine
>> and not involve a trial DNS lookup for a non-existent host name.
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---

JoeMcCarl

Re: Change default Search Engine in Address Bar
Have you travelled from to the future from the 90's? Have you ever used
Firefox or Chrome? Why don't you understand that you can search by simply
typing into the address bar? It proforms dual functions. It was "designed"
to do so. Firefox and Chrome have done it from their conception. IE7 and
previous versions did it in MSN Live Search but now IE8 gives you the option
of search providers. Do you even use IE8? In previous versions of IE you
could type "concrete + ENTER" (for instance) and it would do a MSN search.
Now when I type "concrete + ENTER" it does a Yahoo search. I intially set
IE8 up to do google searchs. I didn't post the question to discuss what
previous versions of IE used to do. I just want to know how to switch the
default search provider utilized from the address bar. If you didn't
understand that this is a new function of IE8 (that it was designed to do)
you are not going to be able to help me.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> [...]

> >> E.g one possible explanation would be that you could be misinterpreting
> >> a feature your ISP is providing for invalid DNS lookups.

> >> ?? What are you using then? thought control? <eg>
> >>
> >> Don't use the Address bar for searching. Use the Search bar for searching.
> >> E.g. press Ctrl-e and type a search expression that your selected
> >> search engine will interpret correctly for you.
> >>
> >> Use your Address bar only to find URLs or Favorites that you already
> >> have stored in your computer. In particular make sure that you have
> >> a protocol prefix associated with everything you generate there before
> >> you press Enter. If you want to use old-style search from the Address bar
> >> make sure you use one of its search keywords (e.g. ? go or find)
> >> to indicate that. Then your search will go directly to a search engine
> >> and not involve a trial DNS lookup for a non-existent host name.

Andrew Baker

RE: Change default Search Engine in Address Bar
hey, if you are still interested in a solution and you've had enough of this
Don character then i think i may be able to help.

search in your program files for a program called "search settings"

if it is there, then this is your problem.

it is a trojan/malware program often downloaded with freeware. and
automatically reverts your search defaults to Yahoo! search which everyone
loathes.

you cannot delete the files straight off the bat, it says you do not have
permissions.

1. go to task manager (ctrl+alt+del)
2. go to processes tab
3. find "searchsettings.exe" and end process
4. delete the files

5. do a full system search for "searchsettings" (no quotation marks)
6. one file may appear which starts with searchsettings.exe (its a pf or pl
file or something. dont worry if this doesnt appear its just a cautionary
measure)

7. restart

8. open IE explorer, windows installer may wish to 'configure' search
settings 1.2.1 if it doesnt and your computer is back to normal then
everything is fixed.
if the windows installer box does appear:

9. cancel it.

10. install the following program from microsoft:

11. once installed, search for the program in start menu and run it.
12. in the box that appears scroll and find search settings, remove it.

13. restart the computer, everything should be back to normal, it may take a
couple of restarts but it should be a-ok. you may now remove windows
installer clean up.

Hope all this helps!

Andrew

"JoeMcCarl" wrote:

> When I installed IE8 (on Vista) I made Google my default search engine for
> the address bar. My nephew was messing around on my computer and now the
> default search engine is Yahoo and I can't figure out how to switch it back.
> Please help. Note: my default in the "search bar" is still google and
> messing with those settings has not helped.

dkszone

Re: Change default Search Engine in Address Bar
In IE8, the default search engine for the address bar and the Search
bar is the same. So once you change the default search provider, it
will change for both address bar and search bar.
The steps to change default search engine (provider) can be found
here:
http://www.dkszone.net/2009/06/how-t...-provider.html

Location: BC, Canada
Esperologist is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Change default Search Engine in Address Bar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkszone View Post
In IE8, the default search engine for the address bar and the Search
bar is the same. So once you change the default search provider, it
will change for both address bar and search bar.
The steps to change default search engine (provider) can be found
here:
Change Default Search Provider In IE 8 [How To]
I am having the same issue, and this doesn't solve it.
By the looks of it, this is over a year since the last post.

I just built myself a new computer, with a fresh install of Win7HP... which means a fresh install of IE8.
Well, when I want to run a search, I open a new tab and since the address bar is automatically selected, I just use the address bar search feature.
Well, by default, my search was done through Yahoo.

I immeadiatly went to the search provider settings through the search bar and changed my default to Bing... and proceded to remove Yahoo from the list with full prejudice.

Well, my search bar now uses Bing, but my address bar uses Yahoo still.
I have scoured my computer to see if anything installed (not much) dragged something Yahoo with it... couldn't find anything.

Why a Microsoft product would not come using a Microsoft search site by default is beyond me.
So, anyone know how to fix it?