IE8 - Can't download files

teenzbutler

IE8 - Can't download files
I have Internet Explorer running on Windows Server 2008. We have an
intranet. The links on the page point to network files, i.e., word (*.doc),
excel (*.xls), html, and email messages (*.msg). Links that point to word,
excel, and html work fine. However, I am having a problem with links
pointing to *.msg files. When I open the Intranet, click on a *.msg link,
the email form pulls up fine. I see the email form along with a blank window
behind it (about:blank). When I close the about:blank window and select
another *.msg link, it fails to open. I receive the about:blank window and a
popup message "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this
site from downloading files to your computer, click here for options". I
click the popup, select "Download File", the popup disappears, but the screen
is blank. My email form does not open. If I close Internet Explorer,
reopen, then select the same link, it downloads fine. Why does it download
the file on the first click of a link, but not thereafter? I changed
security settings, but nothing works. Does anyone else have this problem?
teenzbutler

Re: IE8 - Can't download files
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. All the information you
provided below is very helpful. However, I still have the same problem. One
thing I forgot to mention was, we are running on terminal server. So the
administrator has no problem downloading these files, it's the regular users.
When logged on as a regular user, this is what happens:

1. They open the company intranet
2. Click a link that points to an email form
3. Upon the first click, another IE window opens with the title "Blank
Page" and the email form opens fine
4. The user closes the email form and the secondary "Blank Page" IE window
5. User clicks another link pointing to another email form
6. User receives the IE "Blank Page" window and the popup stating "To help
protect your security..blah blah blah, click here for options"
7. User clicks here and selects "Download file"
8. Popup disappears and window remains blank

If we run IE without Add-ons [(Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer
(No Add-Ons)], the links work fine. There is no secondary "Blank Page"
window and the email forms open right-away. I disabled add-ons one-by-one to
identify the culprit. After manually disabling every single add-on, it still
didn't work! They only way it will work is if you run IE without add-ons.

Have you seen this before?

"Timothy Casey" wrote:

> [...]

> drive-by loader that shows how dependent modern malware is on Java and
> VBScript - see http://scripts.web-design-1011.info)
>
> However, you still need to set this option to 'Prompt' before Windows
> Internet Security in WinXPsp2 or above will allow you to download anything.
> That's basically what you need to get your downloads - but now you need to
> be extremely careful.
>
> When a download comes in, *never* select the 'Run' option - always download
> to a separate location and quarantine for 24-48 hours before getting the
> latest AV update and scanning the file. Don't run the file until your AV
> program has had time to get up to date with the latest activity. I recently
> disposed of a collection of 914 viruses I trapped on a Win98 box. Although
> none managed to infect the operating environment, they nonetheless remained
> undetected by the major AV scanners for at least 48 hours - and some of the
> high profile AV scanners took at least 96 hours to catch up. The fact that I
> keep all the 'active' scripting content turned off (except for trusted
> sites) is how I kept a Windows98 system running without infection from 1999
> to 2009 (when it was decommissioned late this May).
>
> If you are using the 'Prompt' setting for 'Launch programs and unsafe
> files', don't run updates for programs that you didn't specifically trigger
> yourself, eg. in Windows Update or by double clicking the program file after
> a successful AV scan. One of the tricks that hackers use is to present an
> auto-launch as an "update" for Flash or other programs. This allows a little
> creativity with Save-Run "messagebox", which usually omits the 'Save' button
> and the dead giveaway that someone is trying to break in right in front of
> you is the fact that you didn't initiate the update and it is not occurring
> at the scheduled time. It is also suspicious if you are offered no means of
> checking the source. I used to deal with this by terminating the
> 'messagebox' with the Task Manager or failing that with a program of mine
> called Clear-It.
>
> This wouldn't happen if downloads and launches were treated as separate
> events in the external specification for Windows as it applies to security
> policies. Maybe Windows 9...?
>
> To sum up: the three settings you need to check are:
> 1. Downloads > Automatic Prompting for file downloads > enabled
> 2. Downloads > File download > enabled
> 3. Miscellaneous > Launching programs and unsafe files > prompt [NOT
> enabled]
>
> And please be careful.
>
> It is a good idea to get used to setting:
> Miscellaneous > Launching programs and unsafe files > prompt
> only when you need it,
>
> and then set:
> Miscellaneous > Launching programs and unsafe files > disable
> when not trying to download files.
>
> I hope this is helpful - without getting you into deep water...

Timothy Casey

Re: IE8 - Can't download files
> [...]

called Clear-It.

This wouldn't happen if downloads and launches were treated as separate
events in the external specification for Windows as it applies to security
policies. Maybe Windows 9...?

To sum up: the three settings you need to check are:
1. Downloads > Automatic Prompting for file downloads > enabled
2. Downloads > File download > enabled
3. Miscellaneous > Launching programs and unsafe files > prompt [NOT
enabled]

And please be careful.

It is a good idea to get used to setting:
Miscellaneous > Launching programs and unsafe files > prompt
only when you need it,

and then set:
Miscellaneous > Launching programs and unsafe files > disable
when not trying to download files.

I hope this is helpful - without getting you into deep water...

You are correct, this started after I upgraded IE from 7.0 to 8.0. I tried
running it in compatibility mode, but that didn't work. That's when I began
disabling add-ons. When that didn't work, I tried running without add-ons
and viola, it worked. So then I uninstalled 8.0 and reverted back to 7.0.
Now IE 7.0 doesn't work either. It does the same thing. IE 7.0 worked
perfectly before I upgraded to 8.0. It's so frustrating. I am at a loss
here. I am surprised no other users have been faced with this issue.

"Timothy Casey" wrote:

> [...]

> haven't seen an add-on that actually works without screwing up something
> else: not one. I've had three on this system alone and not only is the
> system less than a week old, but those add-ons having failed, have either
> been uninstalled or disabled - forcibly where necessary. Without them, I get
> better connection speed, better system speed, and a certain lack of false
> validation on the part of AV link scanners. Enough said.
>
> I suppose if I advised you to desist using add-ons because today's
> programmers simply aren't up to the task, it's not going to help. If you
> can, finding another way is currently the best option.
>
> However, I take it that IE is the only thing that changed since this became
> a problem - presumably from IE7 to IE8? If this is the case, I wonder if
> using IE in compatibility mode will help (the broken page button on the

Spirit

Re: IE8 - Can't download files
Create another USER and login as that... try to
download from it? If it works you have the bug
that seems to be unfixable without changing
users. You can remove the new user after
testing.

> [...]

>> else: not one. I've had three on this system alone and not only is the
>> system less than a week old, but those add-ons having failed, have either
>> been uninstalled or disabled - forcibly where necessary. Without them, I
>> get
>> better connection speed, better system speed, and a certain lack of false
>> validation on the part of AV link scanners. Enough said.
>>
>> I suppose if I advised you to desist using add-ons because today's
>> programmers simply aren't up to the task, it's not going to help. If you
>> can, finding another way is currently the best option.
>>
>> However, I take it that IE is the only thing that changed since this
>> became
>> a problem - presumably from IE7 to IE8? If this is the case, I wonder if
>> using IE in compatibility mode will help (the broken page button on the

I will give it a try and report back.

"Spirit" wrote:

> Create another USER and login as that... try to
> download from it? If it works you have the bug
> that seems to be unfixable without changing
> users. You can remove the new user after
> testing.
>
> "****zbutler" <****zbutler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > You are correct, this started after I upgraded IE from 7.0 to 8.0. I
> > tried
> > running it in compatibility mode, but that didn't work. That's when I
> > began
> > disabling add-ons. When that didn't work, I tried running without add-ons
> > and viola, it worked. So then I uninstalled 8.0 and reverted back to 7.0.
> > Now IE 7.0 doesn't work either. It does the same thing. IE 7.0 worked
> > perfectly before I upgraded to 8.0. It's so frustrating. I am at a loss
> > here. I am surprised no other users have been faced with this issue.
> >
> > "Timothy Casey" wrote:
> >
> >> "****zbutler" <****zbutler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> I can't say I have seen this particular problem, although it sounds like
> >> repeating theme: one of lumping multiple issues under the same banner.
> >> The
> >> source for the secondary blank page or the code that generated it could
> >> be
> >> interesting.
> >>
> >> I must admit that I prefer to run IE without add-ons, which is probably
> >> why
> >> I've been spared the frustration. The reason for my preference is that I
> >> haven't seen an add-on that actually works without screwing up something
> >> else: not one. I've had three on this system alone and not only is the
> >> system less than a week old, but those add-ons having failed, have either
> >> been uninstalled or disabled - forcibly where necessary. Without them, I
> >> get
> >> better connection speed, better system speed, and a certain lack of false
> >> validation on the part of AV link scanners. Enough said.
> >>
> >> I suppose if I advised you to desist using add-ons because today's
> >> programmers simply aren't up to the task, it's not going to help. If you
> >> can, finding another way is currently the best option.
> >>
> >> However, I take it that IE is the only thing that changed since this
> >> became
> >> a problem - presumably from IE7 to IE8? If this is the case, I wonder if
> >> using IE in compatibility mode will help (the broken page button on the
> >> right-hand edge of the address bar)...?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Timothy Casey - Email: 5th-prime-number@timothycasey.info
> >> Software: http://software-1011.com; Scientific IQ Test, Web Menus,
> >> Security
> >> http://web-design-1011.com http://speed-reading-comprehension.com
> >> Science & Geology: http://geologist-1011.com; http://geologist-1011.net

teenzbutler

Re: IE8 - Can't download files
I created a new user and got the exact same thing. The first link I
selected, which goes to an email template, opened fine. The blank window
still opened in the back. After closing the blank window and the email form,
I selected another link, and it was blocked. I tried switching it to
compatible view, but that did not work.

"Spirit" wrote:

> [...]

haven't seen an add-on that actually works without screwing up something
else: not one. I've had three on this system alone and not only is the
system less than a week old, but those add-ons having failed, have either
been uninstalled or disabled - forcibly where necessary. Without them, I get
better connection speed, better system speed, and a certain lack of false
validation on the part of AV link scanners. Enough said.

I suppose if I advised you to desist using add-ons because today's
programmers simply aren't up to the task, it's not going to help. If you
can, finding another way is currently the best option.

However, I take it that IE is the only thing that changed since this became
a problem - presumably from IE7 to IE8? If this is the case, I wonder if
using IE in compatibility mode will help (the broken page button on the

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 - Can't download files

"****zbutler" <****zbutler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB489F32-ACC4-4061-AC49-D1FC132BE6DD@microsoft.com...
>I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. All the information you
> provided below is very helpful. However, I still have the same problem. One
> thing I forgot to mention was, we are running on terminal server. So the
> administrator has no problem downloading these files, it's the regular users.
> When logged on as a regular user, this is what happens:
>
> 1. They open the company intranet
> 2. Click a link that points to an email form
> 3. Upon the first click, another IE window opens with the title "Blank
> Page" and the email form opens fine

Is that the expected window title in that circumstance normally?

> 4. The user closes the email form and the secondary "Blank Page" IE window

Would that be done normally? Otherwise if there is normally no "Blank Page"
why close it now?

> 5. User clicks another link pointing to another email form

Does any of this involve authentication or, in particular,
additional authentication?

> 6. User receives the IE "Blank Page" window and the popup stating "To help
> protect your security..blah blah blah, click here for options"

See what happens if you don't close the first Blank Page window? ; )

Otherwise it could be that you are seeing a difference in session control.
E.g. see if there is anything you could do with the new File, New Session
command and tell us how it changes your symptoms.

> 7. User clicks here and selects "Download file"
> 8. Popup disappears and window remains blank
>
> If we run IE without Add-ons [(Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer
> (No Add-Ons)], the links work fine. There is no secondary "Blank Page"
> window and the email forms open right-away. I disabled add-ons one-by-one to
> identify the culprit.

> After manually disabling every single add-on, it still didn't work!
> They only way it will work is if you run IE without add-ons.
>
> Have you seen this before?

Yes. I have seen IE using extensions which aren't listed in any of
its Manage Add-ons lists. You could use Process Explorer (aka ProcExp)
to see what the differences are for the two cases (e.g. in terms of loaded
modules). Process Monitor (aka ProcMon) could show even more clearly
when add-ons were loaded and why.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> [...]

>> called Clear-It.
>>
>> This wouldn't happen if downloads and launches were treated as separate
>> events in the external specification for Windows as it applies to security
>> policies. Maybe Windows 9...?
>>
>> To sum up: the three settings you need to check are:
>> 1. Downloads > Automatic Prompting for file downloads > enabled
>> 2. Downloads > File download > enabled
>> 3. Miscellaneous > Launching programs and unsafe files > prompt [NOT
>> enabled]
>>
>> And please be careful.
>>
>> It is a good idea to get used to setting:
>> Miscellaneous > Launching programs and unsafe files > prompt
>> only when you need it,
>>
>> and then set:
>> Miscellaneous > Launching programs and unsafe files > disable
>> when not trying to download files.
>>
>> I hope this is helpful - without getting you into deep water...

Thanks for your reply. I tried all that you recommended. This is what I did:

1. Selected a link pointing to an email template (*.msg)
2. A separate 'Blank Page' windows opens and the email form opens using
Outlook
3. I left the 'Blank Page' opened -and- the email form without Outlook
still opened
4. Selected another link pointing to an email template
5. Another 'Blank Page' window opens and the email form is blocked stating
"To help protect your security.."

Every time I select a link pointing to the email templates, a new separate
'Blank Page' window appears. What I don't get is why it opens the first
email template using Outlook, then blocks all subsequent ones.

I did further testing and added two links, one pointing to a Word document
and the other pointing to an Excel document. This is what happened:

1. The Word and Excel documents open
2. The original window where the link was accessed gets replaced with the
'Blank Page' window
3. In order to go back to the original site, I hit the back button

All HTM, HTML, and PDF files work fine. When you select those links, the
page loads in the same window. There is no 'Blank Page' window.

Again, if I run IE without Add-Ons, I have no problems. The pages open
correctly using the correct programs, i.e., Word, Excel, and Outlook, and