Unable to access Yahoo Mail using Internet Explorer

Ron Avanzino

Unable to access Yahoo Mail using Internet Explorer
I bought a new Lenovo laptop in February running Windows Vista Home Premium
(Version 6.0 Build 6001:Service Pack 1, 32 -bit).

Recently I had to do an in-place update in order fix a problem with Windows
Update. After the update, I noticed that I could no longer login to my
Yahoo email account using Internet Explorer 7. After I typed in my user id
and password, Explorer would go in to a continuous loop flashing the
following message briefly on the screen:

"If you are seeing this page, your browser settings prevent you from
automatically redirecting to a new URL."

I never got this message with Firefox and other Web pages seem to come up OK
with Internet Explorer.

I tried installing Internet Explorer 8 and resetting everything using
Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Reset, but that did not help.

However, I noticed that if I started Explorer by right clicking on the
shortcut and selecting "Run as Administrator", I did not have this problem.

What could be causing this behavior?

Re: Unable to access Yahoo Mail using Internet Explorer
I note that you posting to this newsgroup using a WinXP SP3 machine, not the
Vista SP1 machine.

Your April 2009 thread in Windows Update newsgroup about the Vista machine:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...4744831e10d445

I suspect your earlier problem was caused by a hijackware infection, Ron.
If so, an In-Place Upgrade (AKA Repair Install) would NOT have addressed it.

Can you run Windows Update manually & successfully on the Vista machine now?

Ron Avanzino wrote:
> I bought a new Lenovo laptop in February running Windows Vista Home
> Premium
> (Version 6.0 Build 6001:Service Pack 1, 32 -bit).
>
> Recently I had to do an in-place update in order fix a problem with
> Windows
> Update. After the update, I noticed that I could no longer login to my
> Yahoo email account using Internet Explorer 7. After I typed in my user
> id
> and password, Explorer would go in to a continuous loop flashing the
> following message briefly on the screen:
>
> "If you are seeing this page, your browser settings prevent you from
> automatically redirecting to a new URL."
>
> I never got this message with Firefox and other Web pages seem to come up
> OK
> with Internet Explorer.
>
> I tried installing Internet Explorer 8 and resetting everything using
> Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Reset, but that did not help.
>
> However, I noticed that if I started Explorer by right clicking on the
> shortcut and selecting "Run as Administrator", I did not have this
> problem.
>
> What could be causing this behavior?

Ron Avanzino

Re: Unable to access Yahoo Mail using Internet Explorer
Yes, I posted from our desktop computer rather than the laptop.

The In-Place Upgrade took 3 hours to perform, but it did fix the update
problem. I have made several updates including the Internet Explorer
update. I've also installed Norton 360 Version 3 and did a comprehensive
scan for malware. Nothing other that tracking cookies were ever found.

I was going to let you know about the success of this fix for Windows
Update, but we were away with the laptop for about 10 days when this other
problem surfaced.

>I note that you posting to this newsgroup using a WinXP SP3 machine, not
>the Vista SP1 machine.
>
> Your April 2009 thread in Windows Update newsgroup about the Vista
> machine:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...4744831e10d445
>
> I suspect your earlier problem was caused by a hijackware infection, Ron.
> If so, an In-Place Upgrade (AKA Repair Install) would NOT have addressed
> it.
>
> Can you run Windows Update manually & successfully on the Vista machine
> now?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Ron Avanzino wrote:
>> I bought a new Lenovo laptop in February running Windows Vista Home
>> Premium
>> (Version 6.0 Build 6001:Service Pack 1, 32 -bit).
>>
>> Recently I had to do an in-place update in order fix a problem with
>> Windows
>> Update. After the update, I noticed that I could no longer login to my
>> Yahoo email account using Internet Explorer 7. After I typed in my user
>> id
>> and password, Explorer would go in to a continuous loop flashing the
>> following message briefly on the screen:
>>
>> "If you are seeing this page, your browser settings prevent you from
>> automatically redirecting to a new URL."
>>
>> I never got this message with Firefox and other Web pages seem to come up
>> OK
>> with Internet Explorer.
>>
>> I tried installing Internet Explorer 8 and resetting everything using
>> Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Reset, but that did not help.
>>
>> However, I noticed that if I started Explorer by right clicking on the
>> shortcut and selecting "Run as Administrator", I did not have this
>> problem.
>>
>> What could be causing this behavior?

Re: Unable to access Yahoo Mail using Internet Explorer
If you do NOT see the same behavior when you attempt to sign-in your Yahoo
account at http://www.yahoo.com/ (i.e., NOT using the shortcut), STOP
HERE!!! and reply to this post.

=========================

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool to your desktop:

2. Physically disconnect the computer from the internet.

3. After making certain you have a copy of your Norton Product Key handy,
uninstall all Norton software (including LiveUpdate and any Norton Add-ons)
via Control Panel | Programs | Uninstall a program (or Control Panel |
Programs and Features, if using Classic view)..

4. IMPORTANT! => Enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #6 & #7 below until your
anti-virus application has been installed and fully updated!

5. Right-click on the file you saved in #1 above and select Run as
Administrator. Don't touch your computer/keyboard until the run completes!

6. Reboot, reconnect to the internet.

7. Run Windows Update manually and install any Important updates offered
(i.e., KB963027). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the Optional
Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's enhanced
security.

8. Reinstall N360.

NB: Do NOT install any Norton Add-ons at this point. If necessary, do a
Custom install of N360 to avoid installing them.

9. After rebooting, make certain that NAV and the Norton firewall are
enabled and the Windows Firewall is disabled, then run LiveUpdate manually &
repeatedly until you get a "no more updates" prompt.

Test.

Ron Avanzino wrote:
> Yes, I posted from our desktop computer rather than the laptop.
>
> The In-Place Upgrade took 3 hours to perform, but it did fix the update
> problem. I have made several updates including the Internet Explorer
> update. I've also installed Norton 360 Version 3 and did a comprehensive
> scan for malware. Nothing other that tracking cookies were ever found.
>
> I was going to let you know about the success of this fix for Windows
> Update, but we were away with the laptop for about 10 days when this other
> problem surfaced.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> I note that you posting to this newsgroup using a WinXP SP3 machine, not
>> the Vista SP1 machine.
>>
>> Your April 2009 thread in Windows Update newsgroup about the Vista
>> machine:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...4744831e10d445
>>
>> I suspect your earlier problem was caused by a hijackware infection, Ron.
>> If so, an In-Place Upgrade (AKA Repair Install) would NOT have addressed
>> it.
>>
>> Can you run Windows Update manually & successfully on the Vista machine
>> now?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Ron Avanzino wrote:
>>> I bought a new Lenovo laptop in February running Windows Vista Home
>>> Premium
>>> (Version 6.0 Build 6001:Service Pack 1, 32 -bit).
>>>
>>> Recently I had to do an in-place update in order fix a problem with
>>> Windows
>>> Update. After the update, I noticed that I could no longer login to my
>>> Yahoo email account using Internet Explorer 7. After I typed in my user
>>> id
>>> and password, Explorer would go in to a continuous loop flashing the
>>> following message briefly on the screen:
>>>
>>> "If you are seeing this page, your browser settings prevent you from
>>> automatically redirecting to a new URL."
>>>
>>> I never got this message with Firefox and other Web pages seem to come
>>> up
>>> OK
>>> with Internet Explorer.
>>>
>>> I tried installing Internet Explorer 8 and resetting everything using
>>> Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Reset, but that did not help.
>>>
>>> However, I noticed that if I started Explorer by right clicking on the
>>> shortcut and selecting "Run as Administrator", I did not have this
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> What could be causing this behavior?

Ron Avanzino

Re: Unable to access Yahoo Mail using Internet Explorer
I tried starting Internet Explorer directly from All Programs->Internet
Explorer, but this did not help.

I then completed your detailed procedure, but the problem persisted. Please
note the following:

1) When uninstalling Norton 360 using Control Panel, there was only
one program listed (i.e. no separate program for add-ons or Live Update).

2) The Symantec instructions for un-installing N360 asks that 2 files
be run: a) budump.exe and b) Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

3) Only one update was installed in step #7. KB963027 only applies if
you are running Internet Explorer version 7; I have version 8 now.

4) Add-in installation for N360 requires a separate step that I did
not take. I did not have to do a custom installation.

I think we need to focus on the fact that IE8 works normally when run as
administrator or when User Account Control under Vista is turned off.

> [...]
>> other
>> problem surfaced.
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> I note that you posting to this newsgroup using a WinXP SP3 machine, not
>>> the Vista SP1 machine.
>>>
>>> Your April 2009 thread in Windows Update newsgroup about the Vista
>>> machine:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...4744831e10d445
>>>
>>> I suspect your earlier problem was caused by a hijackware infection,
>>> Ron.
>>> If so, an In-Place Upgrade (AKA Repair Install) would NOT have addressed
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Can you run Windows Update manually & successfully on the Vista machine
>>> now?
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Unable to access Yahoo Mail using Internet Explorer
[Tip: When composing a newsgroup post in Word, only use ENTER to begin a new
paragraph. To begin a new line, if necessary, use Shift+ENTER. Ideally,
you'd compose the post in your News Client (OE).]

In your Apr-09 thread in Windows Update newsgroup, you had not installed
IE8. Even though you stated "I tried installing Internet Explorer 8 [and
did a Reset] but that did not help" in this thread, I wasn't aware that IE8
was still installed.

> I think we need to focus on the fact that IE8 works normally when run as
> administrator or when User Account Control under Vista is turned off.

If the problem existed in IE7 (with UAC & PMIE enabled), installing IE8 may
only serve to complicate matters.

Ron, what's your IE home page, please?

IE Tools | Internet Options | General | Tabs | Settings | Open home page for
new tabs instead of a blank page <=is this option enabled (checked) or
disabled (unchecked)?

When you purchased your computer in Feb-09, was a Norton (or McAfee)
free-trial preinstalled?
--
~PA Bear

Ron Avanzino wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Test.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Ron Avanzino wrote:
>>> Yes, I posted from our desktop computer rather than the laptop.
>>>
>>> The In-Place Upgrade took 3 hours to perform, but it did fix the update
>>> problem. I have made several updates including the Internet Explorer
>>> update. I've also installed Norton 360 Version 3 and did a
>>> comprehensive
>>> scan for malware. Nothing other that tracking cookies were ever found.
>>>
>>> I was going to let you know about the success of this fix for Windows
>>> Update, but we were away with the laptop for about 10 days when this
>>> other
>>> problem surfaced.

Ron Avanzino

Re: Unable to access Yahoo Mail using Internet Explorer
IE7 was in place when the Windows Update problem came up. After I fixed the
update problem by doing the in-place upgrade, I then noticed the problem
with Yahoo Mail (still using IE7). I thought installing IE8 might fix the
problem, so I installed it did the reset mentioned earlier. Apparently, the
problem occurs with either version. IE8 is the version being used right
now. (I would not know how to revert to IE7 if I had to.)

>If the problem existed in IE7 (with UAC & PMIE enabled), installing IE8 may
>only serve to complicate matters.

What is "PMIE"?

My home page is the Yahoo Mail login page,
https://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=us. If I go to www.yahoo.com and
click Mail, this is the page that comes up. Internet Explorer loads this
home page correctly. It's only after I type in my user ID and password that
I have the problem.

With IE8, under "Tools | Internet Options | General | Tabs | Settings",
there no longer is a check box for "Open home page for new tabs instead of a
blank page". Instead, there is a drop-down box. It says, "When a new tab
is opened, open:" and the choices are 1) A blank page, 2) The new tab page,
3) Your first home page. It was set to "The new tab page". I tried using
the other 2 options, but the problem persisted.

When I first bought the computer, it came with a free-trial version of
Norton Internet Security. This expired, so I uninstalled it using the
removal tool and installed Norton 360 Version 2. I then upgraded this to
Version 3, as you suggested. (This had no effect on the Windows Update
problem.)

> [...]

>>> 6. Reboot, reconnect to the internet.
>>>
>>> 7. Run Windows Update manually and install any Important updates offered
>>> (i.e., KB963027). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
>>> Optional
>>> Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's enhanced
>>> security.
>>>
>>> 8. Reinstall N360.
>>>
>>> NB: Do NOT install any Norton Add-ons at this point. If necessary, do a
>>> Custom install of N360 to avoid installing them.
>>>
>>> 9. After rebooting, make certain that NAV and the Norton firewall are
>>> enabled and the Windows Firewall is disabled, then run LiveUpdate
>>> manually
>>> & repeatedly until you get a "no more updates" prompt.
>>>
>>> Test.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Unable to access Yahoo Mail using Internet Explorer
[PMIE = Internet Explorer Protected Mode, part of UAC.]

1. If your earlier problems were caused by hijackware, doing an In-Place
Upgrade (Repair Install) may have resolved the Windows Update problems but
it would NOT have resolved the hijackware infections, Ron. This is why I
recommended doing a "clean install" (in the other thread).

2. When you did the In-Place Upgrade, the NIS free trial would have been
reinstalled (but invalid). After doing the In-Place Upgrade, did you also
run the Norton Removal Tool prior to installing N360?

3. With UAC enabled: If you reset your home page to www.yahoo.com, close all
IE windows, and then open a new IE window, can you successfully sign-in to
your account use the Mail link on that page?

If not, right-click on the Mail link and select "Open in new window", then
see if you can sign-in.

Ron Avanzino wrote:
> [...]

>>> one program listed (i.e. no separate program for add-ons or Live
>>> Update).
>>>
>>> 2) The Symantec instructions for un-installing N360 asks that 2
>>> files
>>> be run: a) budump.exe and b) Norton_Removal_Tool.exe
>>>
>>> 3) Only one update was installed in step #7. KB963027 only
>>> applies
>>> if
>>> you are running Internet Explorer version 7; I have version 8 now.
>>>
>>> 4) Add-in installation for N360 requires a separate step that I
>>> did
>>> not take. I did not have to do a custom installation.
>>>
>>> I think we need to focus on the fact that IE8 works normally when run as
>>> administrator or when User Account Control under Vista is turned off.

Ron Avanzino

Re: Unable to access Yahoo Mail using Internet Explorer
Thank you for mentioning Internet Explorer Protected Mode. When I turn off
protected mode using Tools->Internet Options->Security->(Uncheck) Enable
Protected Mode, and restart IE, I no longer experience the problem. So, I
think the problem has something to do with Protected Mode. This would
explain why I don't have a problem when using Firefox.

I found one other person who had a similar problem and traced it to
Protected Mode.
http://www.fixya.com/support/t164052...mail_when_ie_7

Ways to turn off Protected Mode are described at this site:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...rotected-mode/

The yahoo login page "https://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=us" is a
secure page, but the page that comes up next after login
(http://us.mg201.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?......)
is insecure. Also, the address of this next page changes each time I login
to Yahoo Mail.

Regarding your other questions:

1. As I explained in the other thread, I had installed and ran numerous
malware scanners and they never came up with anything significant. I don't
think you actually recommended a "clean install" but in any event, a "clean
install" is a last resort. I filed a Windows Support Request with
Microsoft, as you suggested, and followed their instructions. They
eventually sent me a free, operating system DVD, which I did not have
previously, so I could do the In-Place Upgrade. I was pretty much obligated
to follow their recommendations. Yes, it's always possible that the
computer could be infected with malware that has not been discovered yet and
that the malware scanners don't know about.

2. The NIS free trial was not re-installed with the in-place upgrade. The
upgrade disk came directly from Microsoft; the NIS was from Symantec,
pre-installed by Lenovo and was already gone when I did the in-place
upgrade. I ran a Norton removal tool each time before installing Norton
360.

3. I did as you suggested by changing the home page and then restarting IE.
It doesn't matter what home page I use. I still have the same problem. I
even tried www.google.com as the home page.

I right-clicked on the Mail link and selected "Open a new window". I saw
the same problem behavior.

> [...]

>>> did a Reset] but that did not help" in this thread, I wasn't aware that
>>> IE8 was still installed.

>>> If the problem existed in IE7 (with UAC & PMIE enabled), installing IE8
>>> may only serve to complicate matters.
>>>
>>> Ron, what's your IE home page, please?
>>>
>>> IE Tools | Internet Options | General | Tabs | Settings | Open home page
>>> for new tabs instead of a blank page <=is this option enabled (checked)
>>> or
>>> disabled (unchecked)?
>>>
>>> When you purchased your computer in Feb-09, was a Norton (or McAfee)
>>> free-trial preinstalled?
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

Re: Unable to access Yahoo Mail using Internet Explorer
> The yahoo login page "https://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=us" is a
> secure [site], but the page that comes up next after login

Ron, this is default behavior in Vista with UAC (and PMIE) enabled.
Disabling UAC (and PMIE) negates Vista's enhanced security.

How to use User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922708

Understanding and Working in Protected Mode Internet Explorer

Yahoo Support may have some ideas for you.

Should you install Yahoo Toolbar, it includes an option to make Yahoo Mail
your default Mail Client such that clicking on IE's Mail button will
automatically open your browser to Yahoo Mail page and clicking on a MailTo
link will do the same.
--
~PA Bear